passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Hendo

Yep, it’s definitely a Smash game.

Played a little bit last night and a couple of hours today. Unlocked Sonic, Inkling and a couple of others I think. 

Inkling seems really fun, and plays like you’d want a Splatoon character to play. You have an ink meter that will run out as you chuck ink about and you have to turn into an octo to get more back (down and B I think shield and B).

Also made a Mii fighter and obviously I’m going for the most ridiculous I can make it so far. So a bear head and maid’s outfit is the current look.

C1E3D252-085A-45D1-A8A8-90AF9DE76841.jpeg

The amount of stuff in this game already, how it got made and how expensive it was, I’ll never know.

Managed a couple of hours. True to form I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing with these spirit things, but I'll plod on as it's giving me a grounding in how to play the game.

I played it on the telly until I got a bit tired, and had a quick match on the handheld just to see what it looked like. My god, it looks impossibility smooth on the Switch screen. A real eye popper.

Started this earlier whilst the footy was on, probably put around 2-3 hours in.

Initially I felt the same bewilderment and frustration I felt with the last 2 Smash games, I knew that the initial roster was small and that you had to unlock a whole load of characters but seeing the minuscule roster myself I just felt like I was in for a whole load of busywork just to get a full suite of characters which felt rather annoying.

So I went into an online Quickplay game to try that out - playing as Kirby of course - and actually really enjoyed it, although it was rather laggy at times. I didn’t really have a clue what I was doing and my Kirby skills from the GameCube era had seemingly failed me but I was having a good enough time just mashing buttons and watching all the chaos around me unfold. I have to say I didn’t see an option to join friends online (only locally) which is rather disappointing but I may of just missed the option somewhere.

Where the game really got compelling is in the Spirit mode. This took a bit of time to win me over but once I got into it and got around the different spirit combinations, line-up and how they all work together I just couldn’t get enough really. It is just so incredibly compelling and addictive, definitely got that ‘one more fight’ type vibe to it where you just don’t want to put it down but go deeper into the mist and unlock more characters and spirits.

It is just crazy how deep they’ve gone with it with all the levelling up of skills, different spirits, different fighting types of spirits which are strong/weak against others, varying power levels, quality of spirits and the various perks that the helper spirits have that can get you through some fights (one had the ability to withstand strong winds for example). It just boggles the mind really how deep this thing is and how expansive it is, so incredibly impressive and will take a hell of a long time to clock.

I bought the fighters pass too after seeing the Joker reveal last night so I’m determined to properly get into it and continue playing it throughout the year. The fighting side of things has so much depth and strategy to it that I haven’t even begun to grasp yet as well so I’m looking forward to learning things properly rather than aimless button mashing as I go on.

Pics below:

F6D35AC8-A68B-4E99-AACD-ACA5E904075D.jpeg

9C99F7F2-0183-45CD-B5A8-CF7E43566E34.jpeg

84AAFC18-4547-4CDF-8CE2-56C159E8BAA7.jpeg

This plopped through my door yesterday, but has gone under lock and key for Christmas ?

Saw a couple of you lucky little scamps were playing it last night.

How do character unlocks work in this one? Is it a random character and time based (time played/games played etc) like in the others?

Cheers @Hendo - sounds like it’s a similar drill to the others. Lots of work to do then considering the roster size.

I am tempted by the season pass on this. Just looked on the Nintendo Store though and it says the various character packs are “expected 2020” - that’s a mistake surely? I’d expect at least a couple of them to make 2019. Hmmmm.

I unlocked the Castlevania dude last night - Simon I think?

Plays exactly like you’d want him to, with all the whip moves and Castlevania special attacks like the throwing axes and holy crucifixes.

I’m trying to play every character I come across but I’m still preferring the Fire Emblem characters like I did on the GameCube, which is weird because I have zero knowledge of any of the FE games. I just like how they play.

The Spirits campaign is pretty cool. It does play out like an RPG. You level up your spirits which do certain things that might be useful in different situations. For example, one will nullify poison effects, and one stage will be filled with poison. And the skill tree is pretty big too.

I’m not sure how much that feeds into the main game, so I’m sticking with random stages fighting the AI to unlock more characters for now.

4 hours ago, Middle_Class_Hero said:

How do character unlocks work in this one? Is it a random character and time based (time played/games played etc) like in the others?

A few choices to unlock them I've found. Spirit mode which is like a mini RPG adventure, Classic mode which is fighting in different setups with a boss at the end to unlock them, or just straight up play Smash mode and you'll get the usual 'Challenger approaches' after some games.

Nice to mix it up I suppose. I think there's a degree of choice to spirit mode as you come across three path ways blocked by three characters. Choose one and win, but then the others are blocked off by the sneaky hand. 

I reckon in classic mode if you chose Mario then the boss may be a relatable character. Peach say. 

All good fun ?

Unlocked a few more characters, got both Castlevania ones now.

I'm still going through Classic mode, trying to get all of the challenges, which I guess is their form of achievements. Clearing 9.9 might be a bit tough.

I have tried switching the controls to B for jump and X for special as jumping with X seems weird, but I might put it back as either I was getting used to it, or it made sense to begin with, as I'm constantly pressing the wrong button to jump.