passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mortal Kombat 11

DisturbedSwan

18 minutes ago, OCH said:

That already existed prior to my purchase and one unit is so insignificant a percentage that it isn't really "supporting" anything IE In the past six months, including MK 11, I've bought two games.

I know I'm going to regret this, but how is that any different to anyone else?

There's plenty of us who don't like this kind of model. It strikes me that by buying this game but attacking other people for it is massively hypocritical. Also, "prior to my purchase", the game isn't out, so you're supporting preorder culture. Isn't one of the series' key characters locked behind a pre-order bonus?   

If you want to be above it all put your money where your mouth is and don't buy the game

6 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

With all those words it's hard to tell but your point seems to be that if people give money to something with this business model they aren't in a position to complain.

So maybe you shouldn't buy this game then ?

That wasn't the point, but never mind. 

EDIT: Sigh It seems you're not the only one to misconstrue what I said but, whatever. Once again...

giphy.gif

@OCH  feel free to explain it to us if we've misunderstood. I'll be honest, I'm not seeing another way of reading it but if I have misunderstood I'd happily retract

I would also say, as I've said before, making statements like "this is the business model you all brought into being.", particularly with how you prefaced it, is only going to illicit a certain response

1 hour ago, OCH said:

Personally, as someone who has been a gaming outlier for at least the last decade, this is the business model you all brought into being. No need to feign surprise and outrage now.

If I can translate then - you're saying you don't buy DLC so it's not your problem. Everyone else brought this on themselves and you're above it all?

Hmmm. Must admit it was to be a whimsical purchase (marketing worked ?) but a brief read on that mentions characters locked behind? These days I'm all but numb and expect 'vanity' items in a negatively weighted rewards RNG system, alongside MTX/lootboxes of some sort. But actual characters ?

I'll read the reception and see how bad it is. Often it's a case of personal choice if you think the 'base' accessible content is worth the price of admission. 

24 minutes ago, Hendo said:

If I can translate then - you're saying you don't buy DLC so it's not your problem. Everyone else brought this on themselves

Wrong, again. Of course it is quite easy to cherry pick out of context lines and vilify as you like.

No need to feign surprise and outrage now.

^ This being the actual point. Part of the first comment too, but not nearly as inciting.

you're above it all

And the next one of you that incorrectly assumes this, picture this..

giphy.gif

I do miss GTM sometimes, although we were few, there was a lot less of a clique mentality. Retract whatever or not, I don't care. I'll comment on this game again when it's released.

11 minutes ago, Hendo said:

So the bit about being a gaming outlier and people bringing it on themselves was an unnecessary preamble, then?

I ramble, it's what I do.

That wasn't the point of that, either @one-armed dwarf. Just leave it at that now.

@OCH  I'm still not seeing a proper explanation as to how you've been misunderstood, which does seem to be a common trait of your posting. You get pulled up on something then claim to be misunderstood, but never walk it back and make yourself understood. Unless something changes this is just going to keep happening, which isn't enjoyable for anyone

anyway, I'm sure we've all got better things we could be doing on a bank holiday than arguing on the internet ?

Firstly, I was on GTM and I remember you intentionally or not winding people up. I don't think that's a new thing.

Secondly, as it's a common theme, I would maybe advise you to think more about how you word stuff, as if we get enough complaints you will be asked to leave.

Depends on the era of GTM. I've mentioned elsewhere (or it may have been on GTM itself, I don't remember?) a lot has changed in the last 5-10 years in my outlook etc.

That said, I never intentionally provoke.

In answer to the second point, the easier solution is there are simply some comments made I won't respond to, at all. That way, everyone wins. It is funny, to know me in real life a lot of preconceptions would be tossed out the window. But as @one-armed dwarf alluded, in text at least, a few of you here aren't on my wavelength. So it is better to say nothing. 

1 minute ago, OCH said:

a few of you here aren't on my wavelength.

See, it’s that kind of sentence I wouldn’t use. That implies you’re on a different level to everyone else. If you couple that with a username of Pious The Chosen, do you not see how people would come to that conclusion?

4 minutes ago, Hendo said:

See, it’s that kind of sentence I wouldn’t use. That implies you’re on a different level to everyone else. If you couple that with a username of Pious The Chosen, do you not see how people would come to that conclusion?

I've been called variations on "weird" since I was 3y/o. ? Likewise, the old username was in homage to Pious Augustus from Eternal Darkness IE Chapter one: The Chosen One.

Context is everything?

6 minutes ago, OCH said:

I've been called variations on "weird" since I was 3y/o. ? Likewise, the old username was in homage to Pious Augustus from Eternal Darkness IE Chapter one: The Chosen One.

Context is everything?

here's the thing though, I don't know you from Gtm, I haven't posted on there in over a decade, yet your posts read the same to me as they do to people who did know you from there. I didn't know your old username, I don't know your history, but you still come off a certain way to me.

If people new and old all read your posts the same way, surely that implies the issue is with your posts. I'm willing to believe you don't mean them how they come across, but it's something only you can fix I think

Just now, Nag said:

Can we sort this out in PM's please... and I'm well aware of the hypocrisy of me typing that.☺

I've said all I need to say on the subject - the mod team have all discussed this prior to today and if we can't fix this massive misunderstanding or get everyone on the same level, then stuff happens.

I've personally had complaints of people (long term members) being put off posting here because of this stuff, so either way it ends now.

Understandably, I've noted a lot of MK retrospectives on YouTube lately, in light of MK 11's imminent release. All seemingly based on the Deadly Alliance Trilogy aka the 3D era. Largely mocking and/or derogatory, often ironically from people there at the time. But factoring in Street Fighter 3 also, do people in general have a problem with Fighters that transition from 2D to 3D?

In most media, I've always felt you should respect your roots, yet always move forward with the story/times etc. That's why 2D to 3D resonated with me back in the early 00's, and I hold the DA trilogy in high regard, warts and all, for shifting in that direction. For trying a new approach. In the same respect, I viewed Power Stone as the template for the future of Street Fighter and the vs. series, yet it never came to be. There seems a lot of resistance to this, whereas some other genres have already made the leap.

40 minutes ago, OCH said:

That way, everyone wins. It is funny, to know me in real life a lot of preconceptions would be tossed out the window.

Thing is, it's really hard to do this since very few people (if any?) have spoken to you voice to voice.

Back on g™ @Blakey ended up in a massive row for calling someone a cunt. You know why it didn't float? Because the people involved had never really mixed , played together or gelled. I made a point to him later that day it all blew up by calling several people cunts, including the person he offended and it was shrugged off as light banter. It's because I've spent time cultivating friendships where the word cunt gets throw about a lot. And I mean a lot. My posts here don't really convey about how foul mouthed and abrasive. I am sure people will attest to that.

See, there's calling someone a cunt, and then there's calling someone a cunt. It's the tone. Ones a friendly "You're my guy and I'm going to bat for you" sort of thing and the other is "You're an unpleasant person and I wish you'd get to fuck". It's two levels, one personal, one impersonal. There's a distinct divide there. You can say the worst things to people when they know, but they have to know the person because written words can't completely convey that intentional tone.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to you that your posts read like the latter. At times it can be like reading a holier than thou comment on the Daily Mail comments section. That's what people are struggling with. People don't like being talked down to.

Next time you give your posts a proof read, look at it and think about the tone. Is it going to sound friendly? Or is it going to sound like a jackass? I will hold my hands up and say I've been in the latter for more than I would like to admit. There's been times where I've give my post a quick read and not liked the tone of how it's scanned so just binned it off.

As for being weird, I've know these guys a long time and all of them are weird as fuck, apart from Ed, the weirdest thing about him is he likes to buy games to take pictures of them, take the cellophane off and then sell the game after barely playing it. It's still pretty weird when you think of it, but he's the most level one out of our rogues gallery.

In short, stop being less of a fucking wordy enigma and get involved on a personal level. It's a case of building bridges and becoming accepted for who you are, or carrying on as you are, alienating more people until you're given your marching orders. I'd rather it be the former, but right now I wouldn't be upset if it was the latter.