passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mortal Kombat 11

DisturbedSwan

14 minutes ago, AndyKurosaki said:

It’s going to be good. Netherrealm always deliver. But I do think they’ve gone a bit overboard with reveals. From characters,to fatalities,to DLC. It seems like every other week they’re revealing something. Doesn't leave a lot of surprises for the final game. 

People can say “you don’t have to watch them”.  But when they’re pretty much everywhere,it’s hard to avoid it.

Surprise seems to be a dirty word in this era. Be that any media platform, the idea of the unexpected seems to have fallen from favour.

Mortal Kombat 11 Has A Way To Buy Cosmetic Items With Real Money

NetherRealm Studios has announced that while Mortal Kombat 11 contains no "pay-to-win" aspects, players will be able to purchase cosmetic items with real money.

On this week's "Kombat Kast" (a regular Mortal Kombat 11 livestream from NetherRealm showing off characters for Mortal Kombat 11), producer Shaun Himmerick announced an in-game currency called "time crystals," purchased with real money, that lets you directly purchase skins, pieces of gear, intro and victory animations, easy fatalities (a consumable that simplify the inputs for fatalities), and other cosmetic items.

You won't be able to buy anything that alters your characters actual combat prowess or moves, however, such as custom moves or augments (which are the stat modifiers you plug into gear), as well as the consumable power-ups you can use in the Towers of Time mode. NetherRealm has stated in the past they're open to adding additional moves post-launch as DLC, though if they were implemented, they'd likely be free.

You can, however, earn everything in the game without paying for it. "Nothing in the game requires time crystals," Himmerick said. "You can play the whole game, unlock all the stuff there, without every dealing with time crystals. If you want, you can get time crystals and shortcut your way to different things." He also stated that time crystals would drop throughout normal play.

The company did confirm there would be no loot boxes in Mortal Kombat 11, however, so you won't be rolling the dice on getting the skin, piece of gear, or fatality you want.

For more on Kombat 11, check out our recent feature breaking down how many of Mortal Kombat 11's classic characters evolved for the sequel. And with Mortal Kombat 11 being this month's cover story, make sure to check out all of our features on the game this month by clicking on the hub below.

Personally, as someone who has been a gaming outlier for at least the last decade, this is the business model you all brought into being. No need to feign surprise and outrage now.

4 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

By buying this game you are also supporting that same business model

That already existed prior to my purchase and one unit is so insignificant a percentage that it isn't really "supporting" anything IE In the past six months, including MK 11, I've bought two games.

You've obviously never paid any attention to how vehemently I disagree with all this shit. It should just be in the game, especially something like this. It's not like they're making a game and running it for 5 years, they'll be making KKXII in a few years for another bite of the pie.

9 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

You've obviously never paid any attention to how vehemently I disagree with all this shit. It should just be in the game, especially something like this. It's not like they're making a game and running it for 5 years, they'll be making KKXII in a few years for another bite of the pie.

Sly I'm with you. I do recall you too, much as I did back in GTM, opposed to all this paying for stuff that shouldn't have a price tag. I was just looking through the comments of that link and every similar article that bemoans DLC and micro-transactions, as if these things shouldn't exist, while playing ignorant to the fact they contributed to making it a financial success in the first place.

The business model I bought into was sequels. An all round update every couple of years.

Now it is all about squeezing every last penny from a single release, with nonsense patches, balances, DLC etc and people are literally throwing money at that. Meanwhile bemused that the practice continues to be used.