passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mortal Kombat 11

DisturbedSwan

I don't really like the Neatherrealms fighting games mostly because outside of fatalities and x-ray moves they have an absolute lack of impact in the normals and specials, as well as a lot of questionable animations that makes for some really lame looking stuff.

But if they change the stuff I don't like about their games, which is totally doable and something that hold's their games back for a number of fighting game fans I can easily be turned around on the series.

While I was impressed by the announcement, these trailers they have now do bug me. Since it's not gameplay, character reveals or anything. I thought flashy CG teaser trailers were a 32-Bit era staple?

In contrast to DC, I lean towards the aesthetic and world building of Fighting games of the minutiae of mechanics. Mortal Kombat, Bloody Roar and Soul Calibur (sans 4 & 5). These series I really value for that reason, above all others. Street Fighter can be fun to play but the story and central plot is weird. Likewise Tekken made progressively less sense with each sequel.

It will be interesting to see where the MK plot goes with 11. Essentially we are almost back to the Deception/Armageddon plot point, so I look forward to see how they resolve it this time.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018/dec/07/mortal-kombat-11-will-feature-cinematic-time-bending-story-centers-around-mysterious-character-we-saw-trailer/

NetherRealm Studios wowed fans yesterday at The Game Awards 2018 with their action-packed announcement of Mortal Kombat 11. Though we could pick apart small bits of information from the reveal trailer, specifics were scare after last night's big unveiling.

The company behind the Mortal Kombat franchise has since shared more details about what Mortal Kombat 11 is and what it will entail.

Firstly, fans of Mortal Kombat X's Variations system will be happy to hear that Mortal Kombat 11 is set to feature something similar. MK11 boasts a "Custom Character Variation System" that aims to give players creative control in generating custom versions of their favorite characters.

"It’s exciting to finally announce Mortal Kombat 11 and showcase what the team has been working on," NetherRealm Studios Creative Director Ed Boon said in the game's press release. "Our Custom Character Variation System opens up an infinite amount of options for players to personalize their favorite fighters. We can’t wait until January when we’ll be showing more of the game."

In addition to a new variation system, Mortal Kombat 11 is gearing up to introduce a fresh cinematic story that will continue the epic Mortal Kombat saga that is over 25 years in the making.

NetherRealm Studios is known for creating large-scale, cinematic story modes in their fighting games that are often revered as the best the genre has to offer. The company's last major fighting game, Injustice 2, featured a powerful, immersive story mode that had us more attached to the heroes and villains than we expected by the end of it — and we said as much in our review of the game.

One of the terms used to describe Mortal Kombat 11's story is "time bending." This a pretty large indicator that the tale will involve time travel.

In the reveal trailer, we see Dark Raiden and Scorpion do battle, and when Scorpion is ultimately killed (spoiler alert), another Scorpion that looks like his Mortal Kombat 2 / Mortal Kombat 3 iteration jumps in to finish the fight. While this was a bit confusing at first, knowing that time travel is a thing in Mortal Kombat 11 makes a second Scorpion from the past make a lot more sense.

The cinematic story in Mortal Kombat 11 is also set to center around the mysterious newcomer we saw at the end of the reveal trailer. Considering this new character was standing next to what looked like a giant hourglass, it seems like time travel is going to play a big part in the game.

Mortal Kombat 11 is set to release on April 23rd, 2019 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC. Before that, though, we will be seeing a beta test in March.

There will also be a reveal event for Mortal Kombat 11 on January 17, 2019 that will allow players in Los Angeles and London to try the game out first-hand. The action will be streamed over on NetherRealms' Twitch channel and the event will begin a 11 a.m. PST (Los Angeles) and 7 p.m. UTC (London).

Spoiler

07_mk02.jpg07_mk03.jpg07_mk06.jpg07_mk01.jpg

07_mk04.jpg

07_mk05.jpg

07_mk07.jpg

More MK11 details leak through GameStop Italy

"Mortal Kombat is back and is more fit than ever in this new and fantastic evolution of the iconic title. Now you can customize the variants of your fighters down to the smallest detail, gaining unprecedented control over the aesthetics of the characters. The new graphic engine renders in the smallest details every crushed skull and torn heart, immersing yourself completely in the action of the most bloody scenes. In addition, the new list of fighters includes unpublished characters and the Klassics of the series, protagonists of fantastic movies in the story mode of the epic saga that has been going on for more than 25 years.

- New game engine, with even more bloody and bloody scenes
- New personalization system, with clothes, accessories and move sets never seen before
- New Fatality as well as a new GoreTech system to make the performances even more brutal
- Very strong multiplayer component, entirely oriented towards the esports: personalization systems, daily news, constantly updated rewards and an improved matchmaking

Additional Contents
The Premium Edition includes:
- Steelcase
- Kombat Pass: 6 characters & 6 Battlepass"

So glad it sounds like they are doubling down on the violence and gore. I heard a surprising amount of pushback against the violence in X saying it was going too far whereas I found it hilarious and it was one of the main things I loved about it. I was worried they were going to listen to all the soft gits and hold back. Doesn’t look or sound it though thankfully :) 

Don’t like it? Play another game. Injustice 2 for example. 

I definitely think Injustice was the compromise NRS came to with WB Games - after MK vs DC - to be able to continue making MK as gory and violent as possible.

I have to say I didn’t realise there was backlash against MKX’s violence though. I’ve got XL installed on PC but never got round to it, playing as Jason, Alien etc. Sounds fucking rad.

After absolutely adoring Injustice 2 I’ve come to the conclusion that I only really love and get on with NRS’ fighting games, so I’m going to exclusively stick to them.

Will be going all in Day 1 with the Ultimate Edition for this.

12 minutes ago, Blakey said:

I have to say I didn’t realise there was backlash against MKX’s violence though. I’ve got XL installed on PC but never got round to it, playing as Jason, Alien etc. Sounds fucking rad.

There wasn't.  Or at least it wasn't the consensus.  Everyone coming into MK knows the score. 

The criticism that it might be getting confused with is that it was too dark.  But they mean the literal sense in that the art direction lacked colour.  MK is no Street Fighter in its use of colour but there is usually some. 

But going by that classic Scorpion design in the trailer I think they probably are adding some more colour.  Or at least the option through character customisations. 

I listen to a lot of podcasts and I’d say every person I heard speaking about MKX always got on their soapbox and started  going on about how they thought they were going a bit too far with the violence. That’s what I’m basing it off mainly. 

The only feedback for MK I get is from the Fighting Game Community.  I never heard anything like that, or even a rebuttal against people saying it was too violent.  Criticisms tend to be levelled at the gameplay and art direction there. 

It's the first I've even heard of it. 

• 4 weeks later...