Sign in to follow this  
RikSP

The JRPG Thread

AirBrush_20181207235230.jpg

As it happens, no.

This rumour got me excited a couple of days ago. The last story, while not on many people's list of all time favourites, has a special place in my affections as it was the first JRPG I managed to finish. 

So this surfaced a couple of days ago on the PlayerEssence YouTube channel and did the rounds. All bollocks.

But I would absolutely love it. In fact an HD Switch version of the original wouldn't be a bad idea either.

2 hours ago, mfnick said:

I completed Blue Dragon on 360. Quite enjoyed it. I loved what I played of Lost Odyssee too, but I got distracted by another games as per usual part way through disc 2 unfortunately. 

Im 60 hours into Persona 5 now, it’s all kicking off! 

Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 2 and Shining The Holy Ark are the best ones ever made IMO. 

I prefer Shining Force 3 to 2 but they're all fantastic. Panzer Dragoon Saga needs to be ported to pc or something. I don't even want anything fancy, just a better was to play it 

I never actually played 3 :( . It was meant to be set over 2-3 instalments if I remember rightly? Knowing we’d never get the others I didn’t play it. Plus I didn’t have the money and couldn’t find it in shops, then the prices skyrocketed. 

I’ve sometimes thought of buying another Saturn to play it but don’t know what it’d be like these days 

yeah, there's 3 parts, and it's really cool how they all link together (you end up fighting yourself at a couple of points). There is, or was, a program you could download and apply to a rip of the game cds that turn the Japanese games in to English. It wasn't perfect but it worked pretty well. When I played them I just kept having to get up and read a translation on the pc every few hours

I wouldn't be surprised if all fifteen of these were on my Switch by the end of the year. Except the one that won't be on anyone's Switch (or any other console for that matter).

oof, that's a lot of ports/remasters. I'm not sure I see SMTV being out next year over here either, but I'm happy to be wrong. I hope there's more than that though, I'm not sure there's a lot there to get excited about

Aye, but if it does it won’t be on the switch.

It probably won’t be on PS4 or Xbox One either. 

13 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

oof, that's a lot of ports/remasters. I'm not sure I see SMTV being out next year over here either, but I'm happy to be wrong. I hope there's more than that though, I'm not sure there's a lot there to get excited about

You're right, of course. But I've played hardly any of these games. It's a genre that I've only recently become fascinated with.

In fact the reason I was originally looking for this thread was for advice from more experienced gamers in light of my expected Jrpg spurge next year. 

There will be questions 🤔

yeah. I've not played the Final Fantasy games, not really my series, but I'm sort of interested in the Tales game, so I'm not saying they aren't worth playing, just lined up like that it was striking

How do you know Final Fantasy isn’t your series if you’ve never played them? Bearing in mind each FF game is vastly different to each other.

If you've not played an FF well VII is a good bet if you can deal with the garish visuals. The gouraud shading (sp?) is still charming in its own way tho personally

X is good. XII is hugely addictive with its gambit and job system stuff but it has the most uninvolving story of a game I can think of.

XII is the only FF game I've started and didn't finish... I hated the Gambit system, I disliked the characters and the story was boring as fuck. Terrible game.

I love XII, but I'm a huge Star Wars fan and it's basically A New Hope with Chocobo's so I'm all in. 

1 hour ago, Nag said:

XII is the only FF game I've started and didn't finish... I hated the Gambit system, I disliked the characters and the story was boring as fuck. Terrible game.

Really? 

You know, that and 9 (and tales) were the ones I was most looking forward to.

2 minutes ago, bellow said:

Really? 

You know, that and 9 (and tales) were the ones I was most looking forward to.

I think I'm going against general consensus but yeah, gave up well before the end.

XII is great cause it fixes the problem of rubbish AI with automated party members cause you build out little blocks of logic that are all under your control. It's really expressive and deep

But XII also sucks cause this same system means the moment to moment combat is quite passive

But it also rocks cause it has a job system thing where it forces you to choose roles for your characters which limit the skills available to them which forces you also to think clever with how you assign their gambit commands

But it is also annoyingly arcane with what these roles are and their associated advantages and disadvantages. Like a white mage is obvious but what the fuck is a "Shikari" other than a fucking horrible mid noughties band.

I love it and find it boring in equal measure.

I've played one of them, 6 possibly, played a bit of 7 (which I kind of hated but may give the remake a try when it eventually comes out. 13 looked decent but I'm not sure I'd ant a whole game of that combat, and I started 15 but didn't stick with it at all. the problem largely is tone. Final Fantasy makes my teeth itch in its modern form. The earlier ones I just hate the job system, I didn't like it in Bravely Default either, nor Octopath Traveller

I'm not saying I'll never like a FF game, but I didn't like what they were and I don't like what they are