passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The JRPG Thread

Rikzilla

The lack of world map was the final straw for me at the time, I also didn't most of e characters or the story. The battle system and sphere Grid system where good though. I took one of the characters of in the wrong direction on his which made the game harder. 

? Did the game touch you in the wrong place @AndyKurosaki? Not come across such dislike for it before.

I like X. Yes the characters were a bit bland, no overworld map and the end was a bit easy. But, it's combat was pretty good and some of my favourite summons. Story was ok. I think it had the best mini game. Blitzball was good fun and it was interesting coming across random people to recruit. I got myself a real good team. I really liked the music aswell. 

I mean listen to the Jecht boss fight

Also it had Shoopufs. Instant extra point. 

I rest my case ?

2 hours ago, Nag said:

That was XII, a game almost as boring as Assassins Creed III.

Ah yes, FFX was still turn based wasn’t it. It also contained Titus (TIT-us more like).

I actually really like FFVIII and FFX. They certainly had problems, but I look back on them both quite fondly. The worst one for me was FF9, which I also liked, but I just remember it being insultingly easy.

3 hours ago, Nag said:

That was XII, a game almost as boring as Assassins Creed III.

12 is among a select groups of games that resonated so poorly with me I traded it in before finishing it. Remove Vaan & Penelo (the rationale for their existence is quite interesting) and at least there is some redemption to be had (aside from Basch and Balthier). 13 lost me immediately. Atrocious battle system, dull as dishwater characters and even the story was completely forgettable. FF as a series has been circling the drain for sometime. They really did peak with FF9 though. Dragon Quest is Square's new hotness now.

Eh, I wouldn't say that. DQXI is ok but it's not new or hot really.

Saying FF is circling the drain is some strong way of putting it. It had some massive misfires in the last gen with XIII being a bit disappointing, Versus being a disaster that went nowhere and XIV having to be cancelled out of existence. But XIV 2.0 is the strongest FF I've played since the PS1 days personally.

FF is just that JRPG series that reinvents itself at every iteration. Sometimes it gets it wrong. But even when it gets it wrong the results are far more interesting than Dragon Quest which is the same thing every single time.

Dragon Quest 8 is the best RPG on the PS2, without a doubt.

I don't think it is strong wording, just a blunt appraisal. The overall quality of the series has been in steady decline since FF10. A factor the series had previously prided itself on being the reverse of that trend, from FF 1 to 9. FF2 used to be the black sheep, now alongside FF10-2, 11, 13 (and it's sequels), FF 14.1 and FF 15 there is a veritable flock of them. Realistically it can be equated to one of two factors.

1. Corporate interference. The Money Men exerting more say on design decisions. 

2. Changing of the guard, creatively. This is actually true as of FF10.. and it shows.

To you, Dragon Quest might be repeating itself but it remains a solid gaming experience with every sequel.

12 in my view has the most forward thinking combat mechanics in an RPG released in the past 15 years or so. It's not perfect and it's too passive on a moment-to-moment basis but it's got the kernel of something really special that could have been even better if they had a chance to iterate on it. It's the only RPG I've played with AI controlled party members which doesn't have the problem where the AI is too stupid cause you program the AI yourself. It's just got this flexibility that the other games don't have and the Zodiac job system makes building out your party even more interesting and in-depth as you have to work within the weaknesses of your party and capitalise on their strengths.

Ultimately most FF games will boil down to mashing X to attack, but in XII you abstract away that boring grinding and only have to work on the more complex battle strategies for the higher level mobs. It's definitely SP FF at it's most technically engaging if you ask me. Its problem is its narrative is all high level geopolitics that doesn't directly involve you and you spend the whole game on macguffin quests. That side of it is boring and feels unfinished. But I liked it better than the stories in XIII and XV.

I don't know who here has played XI but that games has its loyal fans. It's just weird to look at now cause it comes from this time when MMOs were also sort of open world games so it's hard to know what to make of it if you weren't around playing it back then. I certainly wasn't cause broadband didn't become available to me until 2008.

And I'll say again, Realm Reborn has all the classic FF feel and some great MMO combat. That game is still around receiving new content. Stormblood was a little ho hum but Heavensward had the best FF story I've played since the old days.

The only real "bad" FF is the original version of XIV. I don't like XV and think it's one of the worst ones but I''m sort of in the minority on that one. It's better than FFVIII at least.