passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The JRPG Thread

Rikzilla

There's another famous Saturn rpg, I think it's called Dragon something too, I've never played it. It's crazy expensive but it's apparently brilliant. Grandia still holds up, the Super Robot Wars games are decent, and there's a game called Wachenroder that I really want to get back to, what I played was cool 

There are five RPGs in my top ten (Dark Souls, DQ VIII, Fallout 3, FF VIII & IX) but you could make a case for several other games. I haven’t played The Witcher 3 or Bloodborne, I’m planning to fix that soon. They might make my top five. 

I could easily pick FF VI through to X.

Being so unimpressed with DQ XI recently has probably made DQ VIII’s position in my list a bit more shaky, but I did love that game at the time.

I could include Pokémon Red, which I’m surprised I didn’t really. I could include Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the original Kingdom Hearts, The World Ends With You...

I feel like Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2 deserve a shout as well, although they probably wouldn’t make it into my top five. I also haven’t played Pillars of Eternity or Divinity OS 2. The first Original Sin was fantastic.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Fallout 3

Skyrim

Mass effect

The last story

My list is impeded by being a gamer only for the last 10 years or so. Plus, I expect it to change as more classic Jrpgs find there way to the Switch. I could never really get on with the genre on home consoles (except for something short like The last Story), but, handheld I love it.

I could also give a shout to Ys 8, Bravely default, oblivion and Witcher 2.

1 minute ago, DifferentClass said:

I was quite disappointed by the ending of 4 that soured me, where as 3 just continued to ramp up. 

FES is what I actually finished so let's say that one. 

Ah fair one. Which version for 4 was it?

I haven’t finished 3 yet, I burned myself out last year. I played and finished 4 Golden with the best ending which was over 100 hours, then the afternoon I finished that 5 arrived so I played that for a couple weeks until I went to Japan, played 3 Portable while I was in Japan and got to the point where you’re waiting for the big bad to arrive on New Year’s Eve, came home from Japan and carried on with 5, finished 5 and just couldn’t bring myself to jump back onto 3 to finish it. I’m so close too.