passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The JRPG Thread

Rikzilla

I never actually played 3 :( . It was meant to be set over 2-3 instalments if I remember rightly? Knowing we’d never get the others I didn’t play it. Plus I didn’t have the money and couldn’t find it in shops, then the prices skyrocketed. 

I’ve sometimes thought of buying another Saturn to play it but don’t know what it’d be like these days 

yeah, there's 3 parts, and it's really cool how they all link together (you end up fighting yourself at a couple of points). There is, or was, a program you could download and apply to a rip of the game cds that turn the Japanese games in to English. It wasn't perfect but it worked pretty well. When I played them I just kept having to get up and read a translation on the pc every few hours

13 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

oof, that's a lot of ports/remasters. I'm not sure I see SMTV being out next year over here either, but I'm happy to be wrong. I hope there's more than that though, I'm not sure there's a lot there to get excited about

You're right, of course. But I've played hardly any of these games. It's a genre that I've only recently become fascinated with.

In fact the reason I was originally looking for this thread was for advice from more experienced gamers in light of my expected Jrpg spurge next year. 

There will be questions ?

1 hour ago, Nag said:

XII is the only FF game I've started and didn't finish... I hated the Gambit system, I disliked the characters and the story was boring as fuck. Terrible game.

Really? 

You know, that and 9 (and tales) were the ones I was most looking forward to.

XII is great cause it fixes the problem of rubbish AI with automated party members cause you build out little blocks of logic that are all under your control. It's really expressive and deep

But XII also sucks cause this same system means the moment to moment combat is quite passive

But it also rocks cause it has a job system thing where it forces you to choose roles for your characters which limit the skills available to them which forces you also to think clever with how you assign their gambit commands

But it is also annoyingly arcane with what these roles are and their associated advantages and disadvantages. Like a white mage is obvious but what the fuck is a "Shikari" other than a fucking horrible mid noughties band.

I love it and find it boring in equal measure.

I've played one of them, 6 possibly, played a bit of 7 (which I kind of hated but may give the remake a try when it eventually comes out. 13 looked decent but I'm not sure I'd ant a whole game of that combat, and I started 15 but didn't stick with it at all. the problem largely is tone. Final Fantasy makes my teeth itch in its modern form. The earlier ones I just hate the job system, I didn't like it in Bravely Default either, nor Octopath Traveller

I'm not saying I'll never like a FF game, but I didn't like what they were and I don't like what they are