passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The JRPG Thread

Rikzilla

It's your one stop shop for all your JRPG (and western RPG, we're not racists) news and discussions.

Want to talk about Shin Megami Tensei? You can do it here! (even though there's already a thread for that particular series!)

And if you're asking "Rik, why are you making a thread dedicated to JRPG's? Wasn't that bellow's idea?" I can tell you yes, yes it was, but bellow is a coward. 

ENJOY!

AirBrush_20181206231832.jpg

This is the one I'm interested in. There's going to be a good few classics coming to switch next year, and this will hit early January. As I said, I'm a novice to this genre but have been enjoying it more and more over the last few years. I'm just about aware of this series. I mean the name rings a bell, but that's about it. Looks great though.

I never got round to playing that on Xbox 360, in fact up until just now I even forgot I owned it (digitally), so I can't wait to pick this complete version up. I tend to enjoy RPG's a lot more when on handhelds, so when I get my Switch at Christmas this will be getting a lot of love. 

I'm waiting for more information on the Grandia HD collection too. 

I have Vesperia on the 360 and I played around 10 hours of it if memory serves, it seemed like a good game. Not sure what I’m gonna do about my 360, eventually I’ll have to bring it to Japan (is it dual voltage?) as I have a lot of 360 games to catch up on. I also have the original Nier, Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean 4, FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns. And plenty more. I agree about Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, those were wonderful games and highlights of the previous gen for me.

I’ve played over 20 hours of Zesteria on Steam. It’s a more recent game than Vesperia but I think it had a lower budget, it was pretty average. I haven’t played Berseria or either of the Xillia games.

17 minutes ago, RikSP said:

I tend to enjoy RPG's a lot more when on handhelds, so when I get my Switch at Christmas this will be getting a lot of love. 

Well that's it. For me it's a handheld genre. And the switch has made it accessable. They just seemed like too much hard work on console, and if your home time is limited you can get a bit frustrated by lack of progress. Since the switch came out I've put hundreds of hours into them and enjoyed every minute. Looks like I'll be playing this the same time as you.

Now aren't you glad there's a Jrpg thread?

Bleedin' naysayers ?

13 hours ago, regemond said:

I liked Eternal Sonata, FF XIII-2 and FF IX. Oh, and Blue Dragon.

That's all I have on the JRPG score.

Eternal Sonata was pretty good. The premise was absolutely mental.

Blue Dragon was quite simplistic on the surface and had one of the naffest bad guys in gaming, but the job and combat systems were so much fun.

Didn't they poach some old Squenix talent for them both. The two of them where blatent FF and Dragon Quest rip offs, it was all quite cynical. That being said, I didn't mind either of them. 

I really enjoyed Eternal Sonata, might be my favourite JRPG of the last decade, certainly the last one I completed. 

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Didn't they poach some old Squenix talent for them both. The two of them where blatent FF and Dragon Quest rip offs, it was all quite cynical.

Yeah it was Final Fantasy series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi.

I completed Blue Dragon on 360. Quite enjoyed it. I loved what I played of Lost Odyssee too, but I got distracted by another games as per usual part way through disc 2 unfortunately. 

Im 60 hours into Persona 5 now, it’s all kicking off! 

Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 2 and Shining The Holy Ark are the best ones ever made IMO. 

AirBrush_20181207235230.jpg

As it happens, no.

This rumour got me excited a couple of days ago. The last story, while not on many people's list of all time favourites, has a special place in my affections as it was the first JRPG I managed to finish. 

So this surfaced a couple of days ago on the PlayerEssence YouTube channel and did the rounds. All bollocks.

But I would absolutely love it. In fact an HD Switch version of the original wouldn't be a bad idea either.

2 hours ago, mfnick said:

I completed Blue Dragon on 360. Quite enjoyed it. I loved what I played of Lost Odyssee too, but I got distracted by another games as per usual part way through disc 2 unfortunately. 

Im 60 hours into Persona 5 now, it’s all kicking off! 

Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 2 and Shining The Holy Ark are the best ones ever made IMO. 

I prefer Shining Force 3 to 2 but they're all fantastic. Panzer Dragoon Saga needs to be ported to pc or something. I don't even want anything fancy, just a better was to play it