passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Epic announces their Steam rival

Hendo

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/announcing-the-epic-games-store

Looks like they really want to dismantle Steam's monopoly. Sounds good for developers, if enough customers make it take off.

All Developers Earn 88%
Developers receive 88% of revenue. There are no tiers or thresholds. Epic takes 12%. And if you’re using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover the 5% engine royalty for sales on the Epic Games store, out of Epic’s 12%.

• 3 months later...

Three of Quantic Dreams games (Heavy Rain, Beyond:Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human) are coming to PC as Epic Store exclusives. 

Also The Sinking City and The Outer Worlds are going to Epic exclusives on PC.

What are the odds Borderlands 3 ends up being Epic exclusive? PItchford doesn't really like Valve going off what was said in the noclip doc about Half Life and it looks like Gearbox's new game is all based around Unreal Engine, which of course would see licensing for use of the engine wavered if it was on Epics storefront only.

I guess it all depends on what the parent company wants, but I think I'd be more surprised to see it on steam if I'm being honest.

I wonder what the fallout will be like if that's the case? I suspect a lot more people care about Borderlands than Metro. It's always floating about the top 100 most played on steam.

Epic's Tim Sweeney claims gamers are criticising the Epic Store "because they can't see the good it is doing for games"

Erm, that's nonsense. That's like saying Burger King is better for the cows than McDonalds.

Competition is good. It stops those at the top becoming complacent. I don't like the idea of exclusives, nobody does, but at some point Valve are going to have to react because the more ground they allow Epic to gain the more it's going to snowball and the harder it's going to be to squash.

As much as I don't like it I can hardly blame Epic. They've seen a way to leverage the market and they're going to capitalise on it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2019 at 18:20, Sly Reflex said:

What are the odds Borderlands 3 ends up being Epic exclusive? PItchford doesn't really like Valve going off what was said in the noclip doc about Half Life and it looks like Gearbox's new game is all based around Unreal Engine, which of course would see licensing for use of the engine wavered if it was on Epics storefront only.

It's OK, I can wait on the PC version.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of Epic exclusives like Borderlands 3 are starting to appear on third-party sites like Humble and Green Man Gaming, which is a good start (and they're where I buy most of my games tbh), but as yet they're the same price wherever.

Hopefully this leads to a little bit of price competition down the line, but I'm not optimistic it'll be soon. It seems to me Epic's priority right now is delivering value to publishers, not customers, I think they'll discourage discounting.