passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fallout 76

AndyKurosaki

The Missus played a bit more of this after I logged off the other day and she said some random Level 60 dude stuck with her for an hour or so and gave her some high powered weapon, then just as she was logging off he sent a message saying he could give her a scope and loads of other stuff if she wanted ?

I played some more last night myself with Brit and encountered a few more randoms, one guy was Level 30 and he was following us around for awhile giving us some food and drink which was handy. I had my first really awful technical moment too, we were in the town of Grafton and this event was on which meant a load of other players were there along with tons of super mutants throwing grenades about and the frame rate, stuttering and slowdown was just horrendous, it felt like it was properly grinding to a hault.

We did a random side quest at point which led us off into a new area and I got a message from the Level 30 dude saying ‘don’t go that way, it’s too high level’. We ignored it of course and then encountered a Level 15 Angler which battered us ? so promptly headed back in the opposite direction with our tails between our legs.

• 5 months later...

In th first couple of hours this game seems kind of Ok to me. Nothing has really happened, I’ve shot a few level 1 enemies, I completed the first couple of quests about learning to boil water (Yes, but not what it sounds like). And it’s actually fine. On the one hand I’m a little bummed this wasn’t the trash fire I thought it would be (And I played it for 2 hours so who knows, maybe it is) but that’s my fault for playing it a year late, I guess. On the other hand I have quite enjoyed it and would play more of this which I wasn’t expecting to say but here we are. 

The only negative side to it seems to not come from the online side of things (Although there’s something creepy about seeing other Watelanders), but just from the survival aspects. Having to eat, drink and craft ammo is just so micro managey to me in these games. Particularly when it’s mandatory. 

Also the card levelling up system. Eh, it’s not as complicated as they made it seem initially but on the face of it it does seem a lot more limiting than the usual points and perks system from F3 and F4. Arguably having a stripped back Fallout game on the player customisation element of the game is anti-Fallout but it hasn’t bothered me so far. 

I don’t know what to tell you. I like it. On initial impression I like it more than Fallout 4. I think it’s because as much as people complain about no NPC’s and a less propelling story for me that really got in the way in Fallout 4. I played 100’s of hours of these games, I know how they work, just let me go and get on with it. And F76 does that which I like. 

The only thing I will say is wow what are they thinking putting a battle royale mode in this? The shooting is garbage. Literally if you aim down sights to quick after reloading the game doesn’t register the input. Dumb, but not really game breaking for what I’ve played but in a multiplayer competitive shooter environment you can’t be having things like that. And just in general the shooting doesn’t feel great. VATs is now rendered pointless, free aiming is very inaccurate and aiming down sights is too slow for small, fast moving enemies. I mean it’s Fallout so I’m not expecting it to be CoD but trying to leverage this as a Battle Royale game seems insane to me. But I don’t necessarily care about that part.

Not a final verdict by any means and I reserve the right to 180 at any given moment but as of writing, Fallout 76 is fun, mellow, stripped back Fallout experience which is quite relaxing. I think I would describe this so far as comfort gaming. 

I put a few hours in to this as it was free for a while. It's... boring. It's not awful, it's not shit, it's not even stupidly broken, it's just a bit dull. The early quests aren't exactly inspired, walk here, use machine, collect water, boil water, look for person, go to machine etc. I did end up finding a mine that I walked through, it should have been more tense, old Fallout would have been, but the enemies are piss weak so it was a bit of a non-event.

Talking of non-events, I was in an event, killed an enemy, there were 2 left with 28 minutes to find them, then the event disappeared. I'm presuming someone else killed them but I didn't get anything for it so who knows. Similarly a mission that was available yesterday wasn't there when I booted it up today

What did surprise me is how badly it runs. It defaulted to Ultra on my pc and I was getting anything from 26 to 38 fps. I turned it down to high and got exactly the same. My pc was silent so I'm pretty sure it wasn't taxing the pc (it certainly shouldn't), so while it doesn't have any massive bugs that I saw, beyond a few enemy quirks, it still doesn't run well

I dunno, I put 4 hours or so in, obviously that's nothing in Fallout terms, and now I've uninstalled it. It's not shit, just boring, and I'm not going to pay money to play it so might as well drop out early

On 13/06/2019 at 11:12, Maf said:

The only negative side to it seems to not come from the online side of things (Although there’s something creepy about seeing other Watelanders), but just from the survival aspects. Having to eat, drink and craft ammo is just so micro managey to me in these games. Particularly when it’s mandatory.

Also the card levelling up system. Eh, it’s not as complicated as they made it seem initially but on the face of it it does seem a lot more limiting than the usual points and perks system from F3 and F4. Arguably having a stripped back Fallout game on the player customisation element of the game is anti-Fallout but it hasn’t bothered me so far. 

VATs is now rendered pointless

The survival aspects are much more flavour than actual concern, I've played for ~300 hours and ran out of food... once? And I've never run out of water - if anything I am always selling excess. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. Ammunition for the stronger guns can be harder to come by, but that seems fair in terms of balance and having you not just use your most powerful weapon all the time.

The card perks system I think is really good and I definitely prefer it to Fallout 4. Being able to re-class (within your SPECIAL stats) by changing up your equipped cards is cool, although that comes in more later on when you have more cards and can viably switch between different perks for different situations.

Similarly with VATS, I use it all the time now and it's super useful - but you need to have a decent perception stat (for a decent hit chance) and put some perks into it too (I can target body parts, see damage resistance stats of enemies, and have the mysterious stranger occasionally appear for example). At the start of the game it is absolutely useless, so I think most people dismiss it then never try it again once it actually becomes good.

PS4

I haven't played the battle royale mode yet, I've still not fully explored the map in the main game (although I'm very close now as I'm in the last region) so I don't want to go there in another mode before exploring it properly - as the map and exploring it is one of the strongest things in the game for me.

• 7 months later...

So, managed to get some codes for this and a group of us fired it up for the first time last night. Have to say, we had an absolute blast - had more fun in a few hours with this than I did in my whole time with Fallout 4.

First impressions are that it's Fallout with your mates. Not sure how it'd play if you were on your own, but we spent four hours just dicking around and doing the opening few quests. We spent more time than I care to admit searching out cars we could destroy, resulting in mini mushroom clouds.

We had a random encounter with a woman who kept trying to make us wear trousers (no chance) and met a ghoul who had bugged out and wouldn't attack.

The building part is really intuitive as well, I managed to knock up a house with a porch and veranda in about 5 minutes without using any tutorials.

Does it have its faults? Sure. There were a few small bugs but nothing major. Was it the most i've laughed in a video game for a long time? Absolutely. I genuinely can't wait to play more this evening. 

PS_Messages_20200203_010539.jpg

PS_Messages_20200203_105642.jpg

PS_Messages_20200203_105717.jpg