passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fallout 76

AndyKurosaki

I got this as a rental yesterday,took about 8 hours to update the damn thing. And there’s more updates on the way already. 

I’ve only played a couple of hours,so can’t really judge it yet. But the lack of NPCs really is an absolutely stupid decision. Elder Scrolls Online managed it fine,so I don’t get why they went that way with this.

I only saw one actual player, who tried to kill me,but as I didn’t shoot back he couldn’t do F all. I was busy getting past the tutorial that I didn’t interact with him,so he got bored and left me to it.

Oh,and Bethesda’s reaction to people pissed off about the poor quality bag in the Power Armour Edition is gobsmacking. “We made it out of cheap material,as we couldn’t afford what we advertised. Here,have 500 atoms. That gets you pretty much sod all”.

They’re really trying to piss all their goodwill up the wall.

Well,it’s fair to say there’s a lot of criticism about this game. From the barrage of bugs (I haven’t encountered any yet,but I’m only 2 hours in), to it being heavily discounted after a week.

I’ve always enjoyed the series since F3. I’m aware of the many issues that 76 has,but I’m prepared to give it a chance. I’m Billy Nomates,so i’ll be playing it solo.

First impressions? It’s ok. It didn’t take long for my inventory to fill up,as you constantly need to scrap stuff for materials to build anything. I hated the base building element of Fallout 4,so I won’t be bothering with that. 

The world definitely feels lifeless without NPCs. It gives each quest a “who cares” mentality,as you know that everyone is dead. 

Oh,and a lot of the music on one of the Radio stations is copied from F4. So they couldn’t even be arsed to do a new soundtrack. There’s a few new songs here and there,but after hearing at least 5 from Fallout 4,I turned the radio off.

Not being able to save at all is a pain. I quit to the main menu,with no idea what progress had actually been saved. There’s no icon to show that auto saving is taking place.

I took part in an Event that allegedly gave out rewards. Got nothing whatsoever. Great.

Oh,and the levelling up is weird. When you choose a stat to level up,you only get a choice of two options. Compared to previous games where you had a long list to choose from.

2 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

I’m certainly not hyped for Elder Scrolls 6 though. They’ve already said they’re using the same engine for their next games,and it’s so out dated it’s laughable.

Dude, that just means I'll be able to play it on the Switch. Win!

7 minutes ago, bellow said:

Dude, that just means I'll be able to play it on the Switch. Win!

Heh. Fair point. 

Remembered something else from my playthrough thus far. Enemies can attack you while you’re at a workbench. So even that doesn’t pause the game. I was trying to craft some armour,but kept getting interrupted every minute due to Scorched attacking me.

And enemies seem to respawn VERY quickly. I totally cleared one area out,less than 4 minutes later everyone was back. Whether that was due to other players being around me,I’m not sure.

The plot thickens with CanvasBagGate...

As if the Fallout subreddit was not already hectic enough, this story suggests that Bethesda gave free canvas bags to Fallout 76 influencers at its Greenbrier promo event.

The event was meant to give content creators and influencers an opportunity to experience Fallout 76 first, as well as to convince them that it is worth playing. Those attending would have had no way to know about the bait-and-switch that would occur a month later, yet Bethesda may very well have.

2ms9turvhmfk8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Started this last night with the Missus, put in about 3.5 hours.

Quite impressed with it so far. I enjoyed the limited time I had with it in the beta so this is no real surprise. With a loved one it's just an absolute blast, if you've ever wanted to go through a huge Bethesda RPG with a friend/girlfriend etc. then yeah this ticks all those boxes for me.

It's essentially a stripped down Fallout 4 without the NPCs really, that's what it looks like aesthetically and what it feels like to play. The survival elements luckily haven't really bothered me so far, you get a plentiful supply of water and food is relatively easy to come by when combing through a building or something - you get a cooking station at your camp to where you can turn stuff like Brahmin meat into a Ribeye Steak. There isn't too much to say about the camp either, it is essentially the same as Fallout 4 in this regard as well.

Almost as soon as we got out the Vault I found myself settling into my familiar Bethesda RPG loop of seeing something interesting on the compass bar then wandering over to see what you I could find inside, often encountering some kind of enemies or quest too. I don't know what it is about Bethesda's games but this particular loop is just so intoxicating to me and it was the same case again here - even sans NPCs - I just found myself losing all track of time and space. 

The game actually looks way better than I was expecting - maybe it's the HDR I don't know - but yeah it's not bad looking at all in my view, not stunning by any means but not bad at all. It runs pretty bad at times on an Xbox S though, it dropped to 15-20 frames quite often but never stayed there for too long. Me and the missus didn't encounter hardly any bugs at all in our time with the game so far either - just one when I was logging off where her character went invisible and some camp beds/machinery floating on a hill. 

The music is what has possibly surprised me the most. It's got a lovely ambient soundtrack that plays when you're exploring around that gives the game an almost melancholic edge sometimes. I turned the radio on towards the end of the session to find a load of new stations with tons of new songs compared to Fallout 4 too which is fantastic, it was especially pleasing to hear a blues song 'Company Store' that I heard on one of Rick Stein's food travel shows once. 

So yeah, impressed with it so far but its early days yet. 

20 hours ago, Blakey said:

Started this last night with the Missus, put in about 3.5 hours.

Quite impressed with it so far. I enjoyed the limited time I had with it in the beta so this is no real surprise. With a loved one it's just an absolute blast, if you've ever wanted to go through a huge Bethesda RPG with a friend/girlfriend etc. then yeah this ticks all those boxes for me.

It's essentially a stripped down Fallout 4 without the NPCs really, that's what it looks like aesthetically and what it feels like to play. The survival elements luckily haven't really bothered me so far, you get a plentiful supply of water and food is relatively easy to come by when combing through a building or something - you get a cooking station at your camp to where you can turn stuff like Brahmin meat into a Ribeye Steak. There isn't too much to say about the camp either, it is essentially the same as Fallout 4 in this regard as well.

Almost as soon as we got out the Vault I found myself settling into my familiar Bethesda RPG loop of seeing something interesting on the compass bar then wandering over to see what you I could find inside, often encountering some kind of enemies or quest too. I don't know what it is about Bethesda's games but this particular loop is just so intoxicating to me and it was the same case again here - even sans NPCs - I just found myself losing all track of time and space. 

The game actually looks way better than I was expecting - maybe it's the HDR I don't know - but yeah it's not bad looking at all in my view, not stunning by any means but not bad at all. It runs pretty bad at times on an Xbox S though, it dropped to 15-20 frames quite often but never stayed there for too long. Me and the missus didn't encounter hardly any bugs at all in our time with the game so far either - just one when I was logging off where her character went invisible and some camp beds/machinery floating on a hill. 

The music is what has possibly surprised me the most. It's got a lovely ambient soundtrack that plays when you're exploring around that gives the game an almost melancholic edge sometimes. I turned the radio on towards the end of the session to find a load of new stations with tons of new songs compared to Fallout 4 too which is fantastic, it was especially pleasing to hear a blues song 'Company Store' that I heard on one of Rick Stein's food travel shows once. 

So yeah, impressed with it so far but its early days yet. 

You did what? Where is the loyalty, my guy?!  What happened to “We be super mutant crew on the 10th, dude, don’t you worry” Now it’s like “Oh I playing this game with someone else who was that other person I don’t remember”

I see see how it is