passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Civilization VI

one-armed dwarf

I couldn't find a thread for this so decided to make one, a mod can merge or delete if it's an issue

I'm in hospital recovering from spine surgery and my parents picked this up for me, it's the perfect game for post-op convalescence I think as the games take ages and it's all careful menu based stuff. Also I can't play that goddamn Pikachu game cause of the motion throwing ??

Had a go last night but found myself quickly getting myself into a housing crisis and a frustrated populace annoyed at lack of amenities. Then the fucking Aussies came and invaded my stagnant civilization and that was that.

Started again now as Japan, trying to invest a bit more in culture and keep growth within bounds that can be supported. But now barbarians are taking advantage of my lack of military investment

So it's still Civ and it's still very compulsive and addictive. The switch interface is very confusing at first but I think I've got it now. It seems to take a while to calculate turns so it will be interesting to see how it holds up in larger games with loads of civs

It doesn't have online multiplayer it seems like.

I had a bad turn in a session and decided to load back an earlier save, but it kept throwing me back to the main screen. I tried an even earlier one and it did the same thing. It seems like its got some sort of bad bug which corrupts all your saves. This is really disappointing, my campaign is all deleted now.

Maybe the latest patch fixes this

Edit

Ok I think I worked it out, for some reason the game randomly disables DLC which makes the save incompatible depending on the setting. So you have to go way back to fix it

It sounds like the PC version had this too. Kind of shocking to me from a QA point of view

Well tbh I made a series of bad turns so maybe a silver lining here. This time I will be the first to build the great library and achieve a science victory

Fucking Teddy Roosevelt declared a war on me cause he thought I was too peaceful and set all my theatres and aqueducts on fire. I fought him back a bit and sued for peace but the resources drain and the harsh settlement has caused also a brain drain and I'm way down the league tables for science research

Maybe I should research a nuke and go NK on their arses ?

See I had one eye on queen Liz who was getting pissed at me for acquiring territories so close to hers and it seemed like I was on good terms with Teddy. My aim was if she was to get antagonised I could persuade Teddy to join in alliance against Liz cause they are natural enemies and Teddy seemed to like me.

But no, even in Civ I can't understand the basics of geopolitics and now I must pick all the rubble up ??

in 5 Ghandi got pissed at me because Japan started a war with me. He spent hours calling me a warmonger. He stopped when I developed giant murder bots to go against his 'man riding an elephant', and started taking his cities. Fucking pussy tried surrendering a couple of times with a few units of silk, what do I need silk for when I've got giant fucking robots. Stupid bald prick

See even that motivation makes more sense to me than Teddy blowing me up for not blowing other people up

America is such a big bully, all I wanted was to be a capital of culture and scientific innovation ?

Anyway needless to say I'm really enjoying this. I feel like every time I play one of these games I'm learning the mechanics from scratch and only by failing over and over with lots of miserably managed empires. I've never been very good at 4X.  But you start to feel it all click over time and there's some nice hand-holding tutorials in VI.

Having it on Switch makes it fairly dangerous tho. It's very hard to walk away from and put down ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
16 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Paying for a game you already own just so you can have it on your favourite launcher wouldn’t be something I’d ever do but fair enough.

Switch version got me through a tough time so this is no throwaway feature. I would like to keep my games on the platform which is more feature rich and has best compatibility with different OS. I will probably double dip on Control also

(Could someone maybe move this to Civ thread, sorry for derail and I can't delete comments)

https://www.mfgamers.net/index.php?/topic/42188-civilization-vi/&tab=comments#comment-227132