passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Play / Want / Bin 2018

Hendo

Putting this up slightly early as it's in my head and gives everyone plenty of time to give it some thought. 

Also, if you haven't done so already, I'll steer you in the direction of Blakey's Game of the Year thread.

Play

What I'm after here is some words on the 3 honourable mentions of games you played this year, regardless of when they came out.

Doesn't even have to be something you never played before, just a good reflection of how your year panned out.

GOTY

Pretty self-explanatory, a few sentences on what's the best new game you played all year. Remakes are fine, not so much remasters.

Want

What's the one thing you're most looking forward to, set to come out anytime from next year?

Bin

And the thing that most disappointed you. Can be non-gaming related if you want.

Plenty of time before it gets used, I'll give a few days notice before the recording happens.

PLAY

Slay the Spire. This has now joined a select few single player games that i've racked up more than 100 hours on. I CAN QUIT ANY TIME!

Divinity: Original Sin 2. Hands down one of the best RPGs I've played, with a fantastic battle system. The fact it's four player co-op into the mix is the icing on the cake. 

Tetris Effect. Every bit as good as I hoped it would be. Tetsuya Mizuguchi has yet again made something pretty special. 

WANT

A PSVR, for aforementioned Tetris Effect.

Rage 2–  Whilst the original didn't quite live up to expectations, it had solid gunplay and I enjoyed it. The sequel looks like it could be great fun.

Ashen - the more I hear about this game, the more I want it. 

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - a game I'm purposefully avoiding any info on so I can go in fresh. 

Ghost of Tsushima - one of the highlights of e3 for me, looks beautiful. 

BIN

How fickle I've become with games, its very rare I spend more than 10 - 20 hours on something now. 

GOTY

Not sure if I can have Slay the Spire, though I hear it's due for full release this year? 

I’m not recognising Early Access as anything other than a marketing gimmick.

If it came out for purchase then it got released.

Also, for Want I’m more after a new game you’re looking forward to, but I’ll take whatever if you don’t have anything.

Play

Ys 8. Lacrimosa of Dana. Perfect handheld game, which is just as well, because sticking that on a wide-screen telly made the eyes bleed. 

God of War. Failed on my first try. Gave it another try about a month later and had a blast. Weird.

Bayonetta 2. Pure spectacle. Thought I'd hate it. Loved it.

Want

Prime 4. I don't think I've wanted a game more than I want this.

I'm also looking forward to that little Final Fantasy splurge Square Enix are planning for the Switch next year. Especially 9 and 12.

I could also do with a Mario and Luigi RPG. Get on it, Ninty.

Bin

Red dead redemption 2. As a long time Rockstar fan I despair at that snooze fest. Honestly, if that kind a self important, self indulgent, hand holding nonsense is where Rockstar think gaming should be going then I'm out.

GotY

Torna, the golden country. I'm still playing it, actually. But I just love this world of titans, blades and boobs. 

Play

Persona 5 - As I said in the November one. I’ve not played a traditional RPG for years and I’ve proper fallen for this one. I’ve never played a Persona before either. I get what the fuss is about now. 

Rocket League - This has been a mainstay in my “now playing” category since it was released on PS Plus. Own it on PS4, Xbox and Switch and play it constantly even now. Not bad to say I’m not bothered about sport or online games these days really. 

God of War - God of War is one of my favourite gaming series of all time. I didn’t click with this new style like 99% of people did, preferring the old type. Plus I prefer Greek mythology to Nordic. But this had me compelled from beginning to end nonetheless. Completed It fully, got the platinum and thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next one. Ended up buying some books on Nordic mythology after playing it too so that’s a plus in its favour. 

Want

Last of Us 2 - The first was one of my favourite games from last gen. As well as one of the most memorable games I’ve ever played. That opening is probably the closest I’ve come to having tears in a game. The entire game was full of amazing moments, great storytelling and I even really enjoyed the stealth gameplay. The trailers for the new one have just got me even more excited. 

I really can’t wait for the Resi 2 remake and the new Trials game too. I’ll check out the new Super Meat Boy too since the original

is my favourite game of all time. But the trailers, it being a Runner and 1 half of the dev team not being involved I’ve not got high hopes it’ll even be good enough  to be mentioned in the same sentence. We’ll see. TLoU 2 is the main one though.

Bin

Open World Games - There's just too many and they're too big! 

Games as a Service - I'm sick of these types of games. The ones I've played all seem quite shallow and just seem designed to compel you to spend money rather than create a good gaming experience. They're leading to more monetisation in games and fewer games in the AAA space seem to be getting made as they just try to make these big ongoing, money generating machines instead. If a game can't be monetised all year round most publishers don't  want to know anymore.

GotY

Forza Horizon 4 - Bit if a slim year for me, hardly played any new releases. This has to be my standout though. Plays incredibly well, looks amazing and has a ton of content. 

Play

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Looking at my post history, I started this on December 11th last year and played it nonstop until February 7th this year, which is pretty incredible. I played it for 150 hours but the game had almost no pacing issues and if anything, the more I played it the more I liked it. A wonderful game that I haven’t put in my all time top ten list but I easily could (and it would definitely make my modern top ten). Incredible story, incredible music, incredible voice acting...little did I think when I got bored of XC1 after 40 hours that it’s sequel would keep me engrossed for multiple times that. A wonderful game down to the smallest details of the title screen changing as you moved through the story.

Breath of the Wild - Another game that I started in 2017. Played it for 15 hours or so when it came out but didn’t get into it properly until earlier this year, when I played it for another 80 hours and finished it. A wonderful artistic achievement that finishes with one of the most poignant gaming endings that I can think of.

Into the Breach - I’ve played a slim number of games so far in 2018 but Into the Breach is probably the pick of the rest. A wonderful little strategy game that kept me thoroughly engrossed for 15 hours or so until I beat it, and that time went by very fast. Not sure if it will remain as my third pick but we’ll see.

Want

Kingdom Hearts 3 - Kingdom Hearts is one of my all time favourite games. Kingdom Hearts 2, not so much. Since then there have been a million KH games but the only one I’ve played is Chain of Memories on the GBA (actually that came out between those two). I don’t know if KH3 will be closer to KH1 or the mini game fest of KH2, but the gameplay trailers had got me feeling optimistic. Optimistic and nostalgic.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - It’s a new From game with a Japanese mythological setting. I’m in.

Code Vein - I could give this spot to any number of games but I like the look of this. If the story matches the bat shit crazy trailers and the gameplay is half as good as Dark Souls then it should be pretty damn good.

Bin

Being bored on a Saturday night!

Play

- Shadow Of The Tomb Raider. Despite this allegedly being the “worst” of the trilogy,i’m having a brilliant time with this.

-Yakuza Kiwami 2. Proper glad the series is getting more recognition,as it’s awesome. Smashing a bike wheel into someone’s face never gets old.

Fist Of The North Star:Lost Paradise. Yakuza,married to an over-the-top anime. Exactly as good as that sounds. YATATATATATATAAAAAA!

WANT

-Resident Evil 2 Remake. The original is one of the best examples of the genre. And this is looking like a worthy reimagining. Bring it on. 

BIN

Lootboxes. Just piss off. I’ve already paid for the damn game. I’m not paying for that shite,AND your bloody £30 Season Pass. Jog on.

Battle Royale games. Can’t be arsed with them.

Game Of The Year

Spider-Man. The Mary Jane levels are godawful. But other than that,loved it. Been too long since we’ve had a Spidey game that’s actually good. Satisfying combat,great voice acting. A masterclass in superhero gaming.

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

It’s alright, I have the power of editing!

Haha yea I forget these might end up in a podcast. I’ll try and make mine more concise and to the point in future as well.

2 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

BIN

Lootboxes. Just piss off. I’ve already paid for the damn game. I’m not paying for that shite,AND your bloody £30 Season Pass. Jog on.

Battle Royale games

Preach!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Deadline for more of these or edits is Friday night. I’ll be gathering them together and making necessary changes on Saturday before recording on hopefully Sunday.

Just so it’s clear, the GOTY should be different from the Play section. And the Play section can be anything you’ve played of note over the last year, regardless of when it came out. But GOTY should be something that got released this year.

Play

I like to challenge myself to try new genres and types of game from time to time, it enables me to have a broader understanding of the overarching gaming world and what different types of folks around the world enjoy. So these selections are dedicated to the games that pushed me out my comfort zone.

League of Legends - One of the most daunting games to get to in one of the most complicated and difficult genres. I’d never so much as tried Smite or anything before starting in this, just watched some tutorial videos and dived right in.

The journey from Rank 0 to 30 (the rank you unlock ranked play) was about 80 hours long and filled with lots of jubilation, frustration, joy and heartbreak. 

It is just so fulfilling learning a whole new genre, different strategies, different characters, the different roles everyone plays, what everything does on the map, what matchups are good against opponents, the intricacies of the draft. 

I had had to learn pretty much everything from scratch in this game, didn’t have any muscle memory or previous knowledge to fall back on. Putting all the gradually accumulated knowledge to the test against real world opponents. 

Rainbow Six Siege - I was in a bit of a gaming funk in the Summer having completed a ton of single player games one after another the whole year, I just felt like I needed something social and something challenging that would re-engage my gaming love. 

It was pretty much like starting from scratch again, learning all the new operators, learning all the new maps and angles all over again and just getting my aim back engaged was a mammoth task.

I enjoyed every second of it. Siege is such a very special game that even when I was losing and not doing well at all I was learning and getting the odd kill or key assist to win a match. It is such an incredible, tense, intoxicating game.

I honestly think Siege is the best multiplayer game of all time. It is truly peerless.

Fortnite - I’d gotten into Battle Royale games with PUBG and whilst I enjoyed it I used to often get a bit bored with all the hiding involved and long matches.

Fortnite remedied pretty much all of this for me, the games are much shorter and it’s much harder to hide as folks can just topple or build over a building easily. 

I think the challenges with the Battle Pass played a huge part in my enjoyment too. I went from caring about whether I got in the top 10 or not to just enjoying playing the game, learning the map and carrying out all the specific challenges every week, gradually working my way up the ranks.

It just completely changes your perspective on the genre and what it’s capable of. Constantly changing and introducing new modes and new additions to the map, new challenges, skins and all sorts.

Who cares if you win a game when you’re just going around searching for a hidden star in the undergrowth having an absolute whale of a time.

GOTY

Red Dead Redemption 2 - I can completely understand why this didn’t resonate with a lot of folks but for me personally it is an uneven masterpiece. Large swathes of the game are a little dull or uninteresting but the exploration, the little stories dotted around the world and some of the incredible story moments just elevate it above it’s issues.

Want

Kingdom Hearts III - 2019 is shaping up to be phenomenal already with some of the games announced but it has got to be a JRPG that takes my most anticipated spot.

I’ve not actually played more than a couple of hours of KH1 as I just couldn’t stomach the combat and dated design but I stuck with the series in a sense and watched all the games in their entirety on YouTube to get caught up on the plot before KH3 arrives.

KH3 itself looks better and better with every trailer released. It looks nothing less than flawless from all I’ve seen, with so many incredible worlds to immerse myself in and all the returning characters I get to see and play alongside for the first time I really cannot wait.

I’ve even been watching a ton of Disney films featured in the game just to get that added sense of familiarity and affection when I play the game next.

Nomura has still got it.

Bin

Gaming/YouTube crusaders - It just gets annoying to me being told what to hate and love in the gaming sphere all the time and being made to feel like a ne’er-do-well if you don’t hate what everyone else seems to hate.

Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom - The first game is one of my all time favourites and I’d been eagerly anticipating the sequel for donkeys years before its release. It came out and it was just mediocre to shite in almost every regard, by far and away my biggest disappointment of 2018.

Play

Dragon Ball FighterZ

I don't usually get into fast multi-character fighters but this one was really accessible but had a lot of hidden depth.  I really enjoyed my many, many hours learning and getting competant at this game.

Enter the Gungeon

I bought this on a whim and ended up being my most played game of the year.  A rogue-lite with so much hidden quirkiness and awesome gameplay it was easy to lose hundreds of hours to it.

God of War

I think the only traditional triple-A game I've played but it is certainly a great one and a satisfying turn for the series.

Game of the Year

Monster Hunter World

This is such a good entry in the series and everything a lot of people have wanted form the series.  My Game of the Year.

Want

Monster Hunter World: Iceborn

To follow on from my Game of the Year I am very much looking forward to Iceborn, a large expansion for 2019.

Daemon X Machina

The striking looking and sounding mech game for Switch.  A game with Monster Hunter-like elements but with anime action.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

I'm not much of a "Souls" guy but this more action orientated game from the creators of those looks very appealing to me.

DOOM Eternal

One of the best single player FPSs out there get an even more brutal looking sequel.  Yes please.

Bin

Depression!

On 13/12/2018 at 01:47, RikSP said:

Fuck sake, Blakey, don’t let Duck see the size of that post, he’ll lay a fucking egg. 

19 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

That'll be a tasty fucking egg though. 

:lol: Introducing Hendo's newest podcast... Ramble, Want, Bin. Join him in a 47 hour Christmas Special as people try to say a game is "nae bad" in the longest physical way possible..

10 minutes ago, Hendo said:

You got any choices, Duck? Slay The Spire counts.

I suppose I could do a list considering its the end of the year. I need to go bed now though.

Like Chim, Slay the Spire is best thing i've played this year but recently I've been really into BOBO. I'll have a think and get something up tomorrow.