passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Wreckfest

Whiskey_chaser

Picked this up in the Steam Sale. I'm a big fan of the early Flatout games so this seemed a no brainer.

I saw a quote stating that this is the spiritual successor to Destruction Derby and that's pretty bang on the mark. 24 cars thrashing around short simple tracks with plenty of weight behind them. It's brilliant fun. There's a real low-key Sunday morning cars in a field vibe to it all, you can almost smell the grease from the catering vans.

It's also pretty tricky - I haven't played much but halfway into the first tour it's fairly hard to finish in the top three. There's also your standard destruction derby events and a load of different vehicles. I've raced cars, lawn mowers and i've seen school buses mentioned.

This was in Early Access for so long, I posted when the release date was announced this summer, and then instantly forgot about it because in my mind it was a years old game.

I think I played it 4 Christmases in a row with my younger brothers, where the driving and physics were great but there was so little to do.

How's the finished version?

21 minutes ago, Craymen Edge said:

This was in Early Access for so long, I posted when the release date was announced this summer, and then instantly forgot about it because in my mind it was a years old game.

I think I played it 4 Christmases in a row with my younger brothers, where the driving and physics were great but there was so little to do.

How's the finished version?

I'm only a couple of hours in but there seems to be plenty to do.-Loads of tracks and arenas with a fair amount of variety as well, if memory serves me correct there's five tours to the career, each with around eight different events ranging from one off races and demolition derbys to multiple race tournaments. There's also a fair chunk of customisation/tuning to be done to each car though I haven't really dabbled too much with it. All in all, definitely worth the £26 I paid for it.

• 1 year later...

Completed this a couple of days back. For the most part it’s bloody great. On the X at 4k at it keeps a very stable framerate even with 24 cars on track and bits of metal flying all over and looks pretty good to boot. Impressive.

Most of the tracks (a racing game that’s not open world? Woohoo!!) are really well designed and have Crossing paths passed the standard figure 8 stuff. Makes you race the ovals a bit too often though and not enough courses are crazy enough IMO. The best ones have little jumps and bumps everywhere and this game is at its worst and most boring when it’s something like a standard city course. But the crashes and chaos add some variety at least even to those. 

Handling is nice and loose, can’t just floor it everywhere but usually only takes a bit of brake or a tug of the handbrake to get it sideways in nice and easy to control drifts. Just feels good but not up there with the best at all. 

The best parts of this game are also it’s worse though. It has some special events where you’re in daft stuff like a school bus against little reliant robin type cars on a track or racing in a Sofa, or a HGV against normal ones in a demo derby. Should be great fun and at first it is. But then you’ll fail the same challenge 5+ times and it’s not longer funny or enjoyable. The School bus one for example wants you to wreck 8 cars in 3 laps and is far harder than it should be due to the chaos and randomness of everything which makes this game great but also kills the fun. & towards the end it does the usual racing game trick of just making you do far too many laps of the same few tracks which saps enjoyment out too. But regardless of all that I had a hell of a lot of fun with this game and definitely recommend it. Not any other racing game is like this these days either, where you’re dodging destroyed cars all over the track while crashing cars goes flying over yours upside down, hundreds of bits of metal and tyres all over the track it’s just a laugh and fun. Until the 5th retry anyway. 

7/10

Stuff like this. BTW that wasn’t a wreck either so didn’t count towards the 8, hence why it can get annoying. 

I actually found it more fun to have the damage on realistic in the races as that actually made crashes matter, and hardly any wrecks happen at all on normal so no destroyed cars littering the track which I enjoy. Whereas I won a few of the late races just by staying alive the longest. Some of the 12 lap ones I only had to do 5-6 laps (thank god) because every other car blew up. But had to put it to intense on the demo Derby’s as I’d just die too quick in those otherwise. The problem there then though is it’s more a game of avoiding crashes until later when most of the other cars are already almost destroyed. Which is a bit boring in a demolition arena in comparison to the races where it makes more sense to avoid them. 

It did take me a little while to get into to be honest, I missed the damage settings too at first which improved the game when I altered them. I had to force myself through the first tier but after that I started to really enjoyed. 

Flatout! Now that was a good game. 100%’d UC on 360, fucking loved that. The mini games were brill too. I remember thinking the new one on PS4 was shit though from the little I played.