passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Space Dave!

HandsomeDead

Space Dave! is a follow up to Woah Dave! that came out a few years ago.  It is a retro style arcade game with clever little twists that make it an interesting little game.

Woah Dave! is an underrated score attack game and it seems Space Dave! is gonna have the same fate, though I don't think it's as good as Woah Dave!.  So I guess that's why I'm starting a thread for it.

So what Space Dave is is like a combination of Space Invaders, Galaga and Missile Command.  You get waves of alien ships in formation, scrolling along the screen in different ways and you have to shoot them down and protect six trees.  You're attacked by simply being shot at but they also dive bomb the ground, destroying the tree and turning the section of screen into a pool of lava, which you then have to avoid while you're protecting the others.  You can fix the ground and eventually grow back the tree by killing certain enemies that drop skulls but you have to throw them at the pool of lava yourself.

It's taking known, classic arcade gameplay and mixing in these new mechanics that keep the gaming loop really interesting.  Oh! and you only get points for picking up pennies so having to pick up items to score adds another element of risk/reward.

I think the problem with the game is the visuals.  I know they're going for an a look reminiscent of pre-NES games but I just don't think it's striking enough to pull it off.  But they're functional so fine.  I also think they could have added more types of enemy patterns because there isn't that many and they do loop a bit too often.  The bosses are pretty good, though.  The fucker I'm on now can fuck off, mind.

It's currently under £2 on Switch at the moment and I do think its at least worth that as a score attack game to play for 15 minutes.  Or get something that plays Woah Dave! instead.