Sign in to follow this  
wiivo 2.0

Fortnite stealing dance moves?

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

Is the crux of the disagreement here that both of you don’t think dances and choreography are worth anything? 

Pretty certain I've never said that, in fact I think I've said multiple times that if they trademark that shit or get some kind of ownership then yes, by all means get what you're owed. As it is why would Epic pay for something they aren't legally obligated to? Is it shady? Yeah, probably but such is the way of the world.

Fair enough.

I just think that this will end up with stuff like dance moves being subject to copyright. At some point there will be a big push back by the creators when they see how much money someone else is making out of their work.

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

I do find it highly surprising, Sly, that you of all people are taking the developer’s side that it’s ok for them to sell DLC of someone else’s work.

It's OK, it's a free to play game, the animators probably spent more time wireframing the dance than the guy that spent a whole 30 seconds decided to flail his arms about like a buffoon. I don't see anyone getting pissy that Pocket Jen created the Sombra dance for Overwatch or any of the other dances there, which can also be paid for in a round about way. Same with a lot of dances in Overwatch as well. You think Bliz paid Travolta for the Pulp Fiction Dance? Did they fuck. Same goes for all the other dances going back as far as people can remember. You were keen to overlook that back then, you're just looking to attack Epic here.

I couldn't give a fuck about Fortnite but it's the thing to hate now since it's so big. Wah wah, they stole this guys dance. It's been happening for the best part of a decade. Where was the complaining before that?

Just now, Hendo said:

I just think that this will end up with stuff like dance moves being subject to copyright. At some point there will be a big push back by the creators when they see how much money someone else is making out of their work.

I think that's fair. That's the whole point of this. Although I think you'd have a hard time trademarking something unless it was very very specific. Because like I said, you can't just trademark a movement because one person uses it all the time. Doing something all the time doesn't mean you own it, because if that was a case I could charge you all for each time you say cunt.

Cunt isn’t a unique word though. 

I’m sure CBS could (and maybe have) copyrighted the word “bazinga” to stop people from making money out of their shitty comedy show.

Again, we’re not talking random “arm flailing”, these are specially constructed moves that someone has spent time working on and someone else is making cash out of.

I’ve got no problem with Epic or Fortnite and I admit I’m ignorant to any of the Overwatch moves they stole.

If someone sampled you from a podcast or video and made a ton of money out of it, I’m sure you would see your arse, even if it was something said off the cuff.

Maybe. But I wouldn't have a leg to stand on, because that shit isn't copyrighted. There's a difference between being salty and wanting a pound of flesh.

this thread reads like the comments section of the daily mail.

Do any of you remember when they sold horse armour DLC and people lost their shit? "why would people pay money for that? it's not even a real thing.. etc."

You always have the option *NOT* to buy...

If I became internet famous for doing a dance, and that was my "brand" and arguable in a court of law, that someone was profiting from copying or profiting from that, then there are laws in place to get that shit stamped out.

People pick the weirdest hills to die on...

😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮

3 hours ago, RoboticMonk3y said:

this thread reads like the comments section of the daily mail.

Do any of you remember when they sold horse armour DLC and people lost their shit? "why would people pay money for that? it's not even a real thing.. etc."

You always have the option *NOT* to buy...

If I became internet famous for doing a dance, and that was my "brand" and arguable in a court of law, that someone was profiting from copying or profiting from that, then there are laws in place to get that shit stamped out.

People pick the weirdest hills to die on...

So you come in, miss the points being made, bring up horse armour for some reason and act all condescending. 

And we're the Daily Mail types? 

😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮

1 hour ago, illdog said:

This is the new worse thread on the site.

Which was the old one?... Just to let you know I have my own ideas.😁😁

1 hour ago, Craymen Edge said:

It makes me wish for a mute thread option, sort of an automatically mark it all as read kind of thing.

Click the folder from the main page, that used to mark things read.

43 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

Click the folder from the main page, that used to mark things read.

It marks everything read, I'd quite like to do it automatically to chosen topics.

I usually read around the shit I'm not interested and click that to mark the other stuff off. Works for me and I thought that's what you were looking for.