passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fortnite stealing dance moves?

mmmark

1 hour ago, Sly Reflex said:

For instance, do the people that invent gun safety get a payout? Those stances and firing methods you see had to be worked by someone. 

The old making an argument by giving an entirely overly exaggerated example tactic. Oh gosh.

Like @DifferentClass said though. Instead of making up their own dances ie PUTTING IN THE WORK for people to BUY WITH REAL WORLD MONEY, they blatantly stole them. You’d only need to employ a choreographer for a weekend ffs.

Are you saying those people don't deserve money for contributing? You are an animal, that stuff was stolen from them!

People aren't going to buy the dances that aren't recognisable. That's why these things are big, they recognise the dance and buy off the back of it.

Seriously though. This case has no leg to stand on. Legally a movement cannot be covered, no matter how distinct it is. That's the end, you can argue all you want on how it's wrong, it doesn't stop them from being legally in the clear.

Yes they don’t have a leg to hop on. You don’t have to be sir legality phd to know that. But it’s still a bit off like I said not to even acknowledge the OG.

Not sure how many fortnite players were hankering for a dance from a show 10+ years old tho. 

I thought The Floss was an original dance for Fortnite but looking it up even that is taken from a comedy social media character that went viral enough Katy Perry adopted it and got them on stage during SNL. 

It makes me wonder about the actual legality of it.  Like, you never get proper famous dances in games, only the meme-y ones that don't have the same backing. 

It stinks, man. 

I’ve split this into its own thing, cos it seemed worthwhile.

My own tuppence, certainly seems morally dubious to not give some kind of credit where due. It’s not like it could be considered fair use where it’s parody or given for free.

45 minutes ago, Nag said:

I'd put a fair bet on the fact that most of these kids spending REAL MONEY on these emotes have no idea and care even less where they originated from.

That doesn’t make it ok at all. My gf has no idea when she’s listening to a cover or watching a remake but you know they’ve paid money to the original creators to do so. 

Apparently there is some precedent for this:

https://lawstreetmedia.com/issues/entertainment-and-culture/owns-dance-complexities-copyrighting-choreography/

One of the most beloved routines from the last hundred years has been the choreography in West Side Story. The moves are iconic to those in the know. However, it is also a work that many try to steal or emulate–and the copyright owners are watching. In a recent season of Dancing with the Stars, one of the pros tried to recreate the choreography. However, they couldn’t use any of the iconic moves. If they did so, it could have caused ABC some major problems. What resulted was a dance that reflected the style of the musical, but didn’t use the same routine.

@Nag Well like I’ve said. 4 times. I’m just about giving credit where’s credits due. If they were modern obvious moves from popular culture that’s one thing. But this is searching YouTube and copying then not giving any credit in game or by communication on any one of the social media platforms. 

1 hour ago, Nag said:

I'd put a fair bet on the fact that most of these kids spending REAL MONEY on these emotes have no idea and care even less where they originated from.

Doesn't matter if they know where it comes from, it comes from a place where the originators aren't getting some kind of credit.

We're going over and over.  I have no idea why anyone would be against applying credit where it's due.  It's not a free payday.  If it's so easy then come up with a dance that is good enough to go viral.  You have a day, by your own reckoning of what it takes.

All I see here is the absolute lack of understanding of the form.  Coming up with a good dance is as easy and as hard as coming up with an iconic melody.  You would never get away with blatantly copying an iconic melody.

1 hour ago, DifferentClass said:

You would never get away with blatantly copying an iconic melody.

No, because this is copy-writable. West Side Story as a whole is copy writable. Doing the MC Hammer dance, or the Usain Bolt pose or moonwalking or any of the other shit isn't.

When a rapper composes a song the copyright covers the song and that's it. It doesn't cover what he's doing with his hands or feet.

The bit on West Side Story seems to imply that they couldn’t use any of the dance moves, not just the whole routine, so they had to come up with new ones.

But the point remains - someone created something and someone else copied it wholesale and is making money from it, which leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Take a step back and realise how fucking stupid that sounds. And if it doesn't sound stupid take another step back and keep looking. The whole situation is ridiculous. It makes the dancing things looks sensible, even though that is completely preposterous as well.

A game about footballers will cost more to make because he's made heartshapes with his hands after scoring. What a fucking world. It's basically a MTX for part of his personality.

"Yeah, you can pay for my likeness, but if you want my goal celebration as well you're going to have to add another few zeros onto that contract."

I'm laughing at all this. It's beyond farce. 

I understand it alright. It's people taking the piss and others taking them seriously and saying "Nah, mate, you should totally peruse this, it makes total logical sense". ?

A throw away dance or a gesture or pose no matter how iconic isn't IP.

It already has effected me, by wasting my time replying to this fucking thread. :facepalm:

Yeah, I mean I'll just say it again: it doesn't matter how silly you think it is; a chunk of money is being made off it and it's being distributed in a way where the creator isn't getting their share. 

It's that simple. 

It's not gonna mean lawyers are gonna be creeping around making sure we don't accidentally move in a copyrighted way.  It's just distributing the money fairly in big business.