passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee!

DisturbedSwan

Picked up the Pikachu version on Friday and put in about 5 and a half hours so far.

This is the first Pokémon game since X/Y on the 3DS years back so I've been away from the series for quite some time  - partly due to believing the Stars Switch rumours that never came to fruition. So far though it's been nicely familiar. I think what has surprised me most is just how much of a Remake to Red/Blue/Yellow it is, that may sound a bit silly but in my mind I was massively downplaying the Remake factor of the game, just expecting it to be so vastly different thanks to the 2018 visuals that it would feel like a completely different game.

But it doesn't, and that's great. It has brought back memories already, the songs that play, Team Rocket, Misty and Brock, early areas like Mount Moon, Professor Oak and all that good stuff, it has brought back some fond memories that I didn't even know were still swimming around in my head and does feel in lots of ways like a very authentic remake of the original games. 

The much publicised changes to the formula though have been divisive among long term fans. As I've spent a number of years not playing a Pokémon game I was always willing to overlook a lot of these changes and embrace them purely because I just wanted to play through and experience another Pokémon game again after all this time. You know what though, I actually really dig a lot of the changes they've made. 

Being able to see wild Pokémon in the tall grass means I don't have to waste time engaging in random battles with shitty Pokémon I'm not interested in - or have already caught - and can just spot which one I want in the tall grass, run up to it and capture it. There's no random battles with Pokémon in this either which is a bit strange at first as I'm just so use to having to battle/run from random Pidgey's etc. At the start of the game. In this though all you can do when you encounter a wild Pokémon in the tall grass is attempt to capture it. The capturing mechanic mimics the Pokémon Go mechanic of flicking your finger to catch a Pokémon. But now you flick your wrist with the JoyCon/Pokéball Plus into a circle on screen to capture the Pokémon in question. You also have a variety of berries you can feed a Pokémon in order to make it easier to capture them - a coloured circle denotes the difficulty of capturing a specific Pokémon.

The new capture mechanic puts much more of an emphasis on capturing Pokémon rather than just using them to grind or level up. With only the original 151 Pokémon in the game it means for the first time ever I can realistically hope to fully capture all the Pokémon in the game and fill in the Pokédex. Everything else though is still remarkably similar to the mainline Pokémon games of old, the trainer battles are similar to X/Y, the Poké Marts/Poké Centres work just the same as you'd imagine, there's TMs (although I believe they no longer remove obstacles in the environment) and the whole game doesn't feel so vastly different, it feels like a Pokémon game - just with a few bits and pieces spiced up - and that's great.

Playing with the Pokéball Plus just makes it even more of a blast too. It's smaller than you expect and features an analog stick on the side - which you used to move your character - along with a hidden button on top the lets you cancel things and access the in-game menu. When you capture a Pokemon in a Pokéball just the act of virtually throwing an actual ball at a Pokémon is just cool and feels great, similarly when you catch or fail to catch a Pokémon all the lights and sounds that are emitted from the Pokéball just makes things feel that little bit more immersive and invests you a little more, it just feels cool and a little bit more like you're a Pokémon Trainer, there's just an inherent childlike joy from using it.

It's just so jolly and relaxing to play. You can play with one hand (either JoyCon or Pokéball) and just sit back and stroll around a Route/Dungeon/Town whilst watching TV or something, hearing the charming music playing along and having an absolute blast. If you like Pokémon games I still think overall not a massive amount of things have changed, but what has changed spices up a formula that had long grown a little stale and injects it with a little bit of innovation and originality. 

I didnt realise how similar this was to the Original red/blue on the gameboy. Its a cool nostalgia trip but I havnt long since played Blue and the early part is a little bit of a drag. Once I get somewhere that I can catch 5 billion Dratini however, I expect I will be in my element.

I hope that they support this with some decent DLC in the future, it would be nice to be able to take part in various events etc.

2 hours ago, Sambob said:

I didnt realise how similar this was to the Original red/blue on the gameboy. Its a cool nostalgia trip but I havnt long since played Blue and the early part is a little bit of a drag. Once I get somewhere that I can catch 5 billion Dratini however, I expect I will be in my element.

Makes sense. It's a remake of Yellow, which was an enhanced version of Red/Blue.

Tempted to get this, it’s the mystery box for Pokémon go that’s tempting, as the Meltan evolution is 400 candy and very little chance to catch more than the one so rare candy, walking for miles on end or use the switch to download a mystery box every week and pineapple the hell out of it will make it quicker!

Up to almost 29 hours on this now.

I've got all 8 gym badges and have caught around 80 Pokemon - no idea where the other 71 are! - and am going to make my way on to the Elite Four tomorrow.

I've also got Zapdos (who I used a Master Ball on, unsure if that was the right thing to do or not...) and Articuno so I think the only other legendary I need is Moltres and MewTwo.

Absolutely loved it throughout. It is just so incredibly charming and jolly. Catching the Pokemon with the Pokeball Plus has never failed to delight and you just cannot help but be put in a good mood when playing it.

I'm probably not going to bother catching all the other Pokemon I need but I may do a bit of post-game hunting for a few. Not sure if I've got the patience for shiny hunting or anything either, I've heard there's daily challenges etc. in the post game soon so I can't see me dropping this as my 'playing when the footies on' game until Smash comes out.

• 3 weeks later...

I put 14 hours into this just to get to fuschia city so I can trade, it’s the only way to get Meltan and then evolve. I found it frustrating at times and a couple of trainers just kicked my arse not sure if it’s because I was racing to get to one point so hadn’t leveled up correctly.

• 1 month later...

Been playing this with my little girl for ages now and she has caught around 80 pokemon. Spent about an hour trying to find vulpix only to realise that its not in the pikachu version. 

Went to the trade station and you can't do random trades any more it has to be with somebody you know apparently which is bloody stupid.... 

Finally got a vulpix and its been transferred but fuck me the connectivity is fucking poor between the switch and pokemon go. Its so hit and miss that it will work on the initial connection and the literally ten seconds later it will fail. I have to unpair every single bluetooth connection and then restart my phone and then immediately open pokemon go and then transfer as the first thing my phone does or it doesn't work. I've even read that the joy cons themselves interrupt the bluetooth connection and I've genuinely found that moving them to another room improves the chances of making the connection. Fucking ludicrous. 

• 1 month later...

If you tell me which one you need, I can't remember the exclusive Pokémon.

I already traded with my brother a while back so I don't need the Let's Pikachu stuff but if you have a Lapras and Omanyte to spare I'll take those.

You don’t have an Omanyte? ?

Neither do I.

We might be eternally doomed to 149 

Eevee exclusives are 

Meowth

Vulpix

Bellsprout

Aloln Meowth

Ekans

Koffing

Pinser

Lapras can be caught around Cinnabar Island. I’ve yet to do so, though 

I can’t even start my game again and pick Omanyte instead because I will lose my Mew ?