passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Board Games - Physical/Digital

Duck

We have a news and organizing thread but we don't have an proper impressions one in this section. 

I don't see any point in keeping it just digital though as I think it would be cool to speak about the physical stuff people are playing too. 

So what's everyone been playing? 

I've been playing a fair bit of Terraforming Mars on Steam. Easily one of my favourite board games. It's very rare i'll finish a game and want to play again straight away (especially when the games can last up to three and a half hours). It'll get even better in December when they introduce card drafting.

I've also just taken delivery of AuZtralia - Martin Wallace's new game that I kickstarted. It's a semi co-operative game where you're trying to score victory points whilst working together to stop Cthulu destroying everyone.

I've also played a few games recently of Survive: Escape from Atlantis. I got the 30th anniversary edition for my kid last Christmas and it plays great. Don't let the family nature fool you - it's brutal. 

Auztralia-Board-Game-Gameplay.jpg

@Chimay

Wish you lived closer to Birmingham so I could play all these games as well.

I played the Kick Started version of Brass Midlands the other night and it was great. Basically an engine building game getting industrial Revolution products around the Midlands. The best bit was the clay money chips from the KS version which are so nice they're releasing separately.

13 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

@Chimay

Wish you lived closer to Birmingham so I could play all these games as well.

I played the Kick Started version of Brass Midlands the other night and it was great. Basically an engine building game getting industrial Revolution products around the Midlands. The best bit was the clay money chips from the KS version which are so nice they're releasing separately.

I had Brass Birmingham on Kickstarter, but sadly it arrived amongst a tirade of bills so had to sell it straight on. I did get a chance to play Lancashire though - it was a great game, though we were learning the rules as we played and no one really had any idea what was going on.

59 minutes ago, Chimay said:

I had Brass Birmingham on Kickstarter, but sadly it arrived amongst a tirade of bills so had to sell it straight on. I did get a chance to play Lancashire though - it was a great game, though we were learning the rules as we played and no one really had any idea what was going on.

That's a shame, I'd have bought that off you if I'd have known as well. I'm going to pick up a standard copy, but wish I had the KS one.

16 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

That's a shame, I'd have bought that off you if I'd have known as well. I'm going to pick up a standard copy, but wish I had the KS one.

If you're on Facebook, there's a great trading and selling group, Board Game Trade & Chat UK. If you can ignore the all the over-excitable manchildren, it's a great place to pick up something specific with not much mark-up - i've seen KS copies sell for around £65 including postage.

edit - just checked and you can pre-order the deluxe edition off the backerkit website, including the chips for $75:

https://brassgame.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/142472

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fort Sumter's app is reeeally nice.

The quick and simple but can be deep as you like type tactics are perfect for mobile. 

I strongly recommend it if thought CDG's (Card Driven Game) or War games were too complicated or too in depth. As i said before games only last about 15 and I think you only play 12 cards per game. 

Here a video of someone playing the tutorial.. 

It's about £6. If you want to play, let me know. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bought and played a couple of mainstream board games on the Switch.

Cluedo is a pretty well made version. You can play single player against AI, with a full roster or just the bare minimum of people needed. You can also play online which I haven’t tried, but I have played the local multi which means installing an app to your phone. This takes over the controls and is how each person sees and controls their cheat sheet to keep track of what’s going on.

I bought the more expensive version that has a ton more styles to it, like one based on Sherlock Holmes or one set on a cruise ship. Nothing actually changes but you do get some pretty cool looking characters to choose from.

I also bought Trivial Pursuit Live! which is set out like a TV show. Questions skewed a bit more to Americans but nothing outlandish apart from a ridiculous question about which years one American Football team won stuff.

Works well, uses the face buttons to choose answers except in a couple of different rounds.

I was expecting them both to be shit but they do the job just fine. Not as polished as I would like, but alright for the money.