passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Best Horror Movies

Rikzilla

• 6 months later...

It's spooky times again 

RLM had a cool review of The Exorcist 

Also I'm bumping this thread to steal other people's horror movie suggestions. What are some of people's favourites?

One I watched a while ago that I actually got recommended by RLM is Lake Mungo. Very low budget (like 30k or something in AUS$) but extremely sinister. Not in a jump scare way necessarily but in how it generates dread that sticks with you after the film.

It's a fake documentary about a girl who dies, that's all I'll say. Not exactly riveting in terms of plot but it has a very realist style which sells the horror in a much more powerful way than screamy nuns ever can

Someone mentioned Mulholland Dr on page 1. Obviously everyone should watch that, tho it sort of sits in a weird spot between horror and surreal softcore erotica/psychological thriller. 

Would love to see Lynch try his hand at more horror stuff.

I’m not sure if it counts but the only horror film I’ve ever liked was the first Saw. I only see it one time and I don’t ever want to see it again but it’s actually a film I genuinely liked. I can’t think of another horror film I have liked. It’s either eye rollingly violent or unbearably tense and one of which is very boring and the other is too much for me. 

I’m also not religious at all but any horror film that involves possession, satanic shit or has strong Christian themes I can not handle at all.

Tbf, most films that involve possession, satanic shit or with strong Christian themes are derivative shite. Except for the Exorcist, which is brilliant ?

Actually Exorcist III isn't too bad either. 

Part 2 is hilariously awful. Richard Burton was drunk the whole way through and almost every scene has him starring off into space.. because that's where someone was holding up a card with his lines to read ?

Has anyone mentioned Lucky McKee yet? May (not the icon of Hong Kong) and The Woman are great if you have the stomach for them and All Cheerleaders Die is a great horror comedy. His episode of Masters of Horror was one of the better ones as well. 

A contextless list of some of my favourites. 

Society

Zombie Flesh Eaters or any sexy Italian video nasty. 

Shivers

From Beyond

The Perfection

Train to Busan

Also to quote everyone else. The Thing is one of my favourite all time movies. 

Shudder have also done a new series of Creepshow for any horror anthology fans. Probably going to save that for Halloween. 

If you liked Hereditary then you should check out Midsommar (Director's Cut if possible) as it's by the same Director. The Wicker Man vibes all through it and it's definately a slow burner but creepy and disturbing all the same. Incredible performance by the lead actress again.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

this might be more of a film thread post, but when they eventually rereleased The Exorcist I went and rented it, watched it with my brother and we were both expecting it to be horrific, it was more funny than anything. Maybe because we're not a religious family, maybe because we were watching it in the late 90s, but I'd have thought it was absurd enough to have someone else reacting to

What makes it work for me is how matter of fact it is. It doesnt really have all the trappings of modern horror. Screeching violins, quiet parts interrupted by loud noise. The Exorcist just feels like any old film made in the 70s, except it happens to be about a girl losing her soul to a demon. Which is also why the only good sequel is Exorcist 3 imo, because it's just a police procedural which happens to involve satanic evil. The other sequels are just indistinguishable from every other 'possession' movie. Like The Conjuring series which to paraphrase Scorcese is more like a loud theme park ride of scares than a proper horror, imho.

Compared to those The Exorcist is more, I dont know, emotionally overwrought horror. Like theres real horror in seeing a mother trying to stop her daughter mutilating herself with a crucifix and then being forced by the demon inside to abuse her. I think people's expectations of what the film is can effect how they react to something like that. I can see also how it would appear silly.

It's also why I liked Hereditary which is a similar kind of film I think. Low budget horror without special effects has this aspect too.

But I think having a Catholic background can be a factor too. I just find demonic possession an icky thing to think about even though I dont believe any of it to be real anymore