passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Best Horror Movies

Rikzilla

It’s Halloween week so it’s the perfect time to get spooky and talk about what we think are the best horror movies.

They can be new, old, popular, or underrated gems, it’s all good. 

I’ll kick it off by talking about...

Happy Death Day

College student, Tree, is forced to relive her own murder over and over again until she solves it. It’s basically Groundhog Day with murders, and is one of the best modern slasher movies I’ve seen in recent years.

It isn’t scary or particularly gory, but it’s a hell of a lot of fun. Tree is a fantastic character with actual development, and the movie itself is so self aware you’d be forgiven for thinking it was by Wes Craven.

It sits up there with Scream for me as one of the best slasher movies of our time, and is another great example of why Blum House is the best thing that’s happened to modern horror movies.

not actually one of the best, but one I think most people wouldn't have seen or wouldn't give a chance to, Triangle

It starts off very tired, annoying characters, something you've definitely seen before (people stranded at sea, find what seems to be a deserted ship), but halfway through it takes a shift then just builds and builds on it. It's probably the most surprised I've been by a film in years

3 of my favourites off top of my head are Witches of Eastwick, Hocus Pocus and Beetlejuice.

Classics in their own right but each have standout performances from Nicholson, Keaton and Midler.

Probably loads more but those I probably watch every Halloween.

Happy Death Day sounds like a cool concept, I’ll have to give that a watch.

The Thing is probably always the film I think of when people mention good horror movies. The ‘80’s version, not the original or the remake of the remake.

Could be because I watched it when I was far too young to watch it, but I always consider that to be one of the scariest films ever made.

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Happy Death Day sounds like a cool concept, I’ll have to give that a watch.

The Thing is probably always the film I think of when people mention good horror movies. The ‘80’s version, not the original or the remake of the remake.

Could be because I watched it when I was far too young to watch it, but I always consider that to be one of the scariest films ever made.

Another shout for The Thing. Some of the effects in this movie still stand up today but really, it's all about the atmosphere and tension that's building ending in complete paranoia. My actual favourite movie of all time.

Recently watched Hereditary which just needs to be seen by everyone and quite liked The Ritual (Amazon Prime) too. Both are slow burners but definitely worth investing in. Some great performances.

Finally, just seen the whole season of The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) which I really enjoyed. Inspired by all types of horror movies and stories, each episode is brilliantly done around the family form the past to present and recommend it to any horror fans.

Yeah the Thing is a good one. Any John Carpenter film back when he was making good stuff in the 70's/80's is a good shout.

I couldn't get into Haunting of Hill House either. I think it's more a personal taste thing on my part. Sabrina has been entertaining though. 

I saw things like Hereditary and A Quiet Place at the cinema and I'm not ready to revisit them for Halloween.  

I'm up for revisiting The Guest.  It's more of a thriller but it's set during Halloween, and that last act is a lot of Halloween fun. 

I think I want to watch 2017's It again as I really enjoyed it at the time. 

Also I hope I can get to the cinema to watch Overlord.  It comes out the week after Halloween but it just looks so much up my street.  Like old Wolfenstein all Nazis fucking with Evil:

27 minutes ago, ThreeFour said:

Yeah the Thing is a good one. Any John Carpenter film back when he was making good stuff in the 70's/80's is a good shout.

I couldn't get into Haunting of Hill House either. I think it's more a personal taste thing on my part. Sabrina has been entertaining though. 

The Thing isn't just a great scary movie, it's a fantastic flick overall. One of my favourites.

I watched them too often way back when, but I might rewatch Ring and Ju-On (the originals) over the week

If people haven't you should really watch Martyrs, it's a French film, one of the more brutal films, but rather than just being ultra-violent it's got a great story to it. Genuinely a brilliant film

People mentioning Carpenter, he did a film called Prince of Darkness which doesn't get talked about as much as it should

More recently, Ghost Stories this year was brilliant (as was Hereditary), and a film called The Endless, which is sort of a horror, reminded me of Primer a bit though

27 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

The Thing isn't just a great scary movie, it's a fantastic flick overall. One of my favourites.

Yeah it is. I'm bias as although I like early Carpenter, I especially like the Russel/Carpenter connection. Big Trouble is one of my favourites ? and Escape is class.

53 minutes ago, ThreeFour said:

Yeah it is. I'm bias as although I like early Carpenter, I especially like the Russel/Carpenter connection. Big Trouble is one of my favourites ? and Escape is class.

Not wanting to go too off topic but I recently spotted Escape from New York on tv so recorded it to watch again at some point. It's been soooooo long since I've seen it, anyone watched it recently and did it still hold up?

Yup ?

beetle).gif

20 minutes ago, Bigkopman said:

Not wanting to go too off topic but I recently spotted Escape from New York on tv so recorded it to watch again at some point. It's been soooooo long since I've seen it, anyone watched it recently and did it still hold up?

Watched it couple of years ago. This thread gave me the idea of having a Carpenter film week for Halloween so I will also be watching it again too. I think it still holds up. But I am an 80's obsessive so take that how you will ?

The Shining - Not only one of the best horror films ever made but one of the best films ever made, Kubrick is a genius.

Also, off the top of my head:

• Halloween,
  • Friday the 13th
  • The Thing
  • Alien
  • Get Out
  • The Babadook
  • It (2017)
  • Scream
  • Saw
  • A Quiet Place
  • Split

I love horror movies. Some of these are more horror-themed than out and out horror but anyway these are my favourites:

Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922)

The Innocents (1961)

The Haunting (1963)

Don’t Look Now (1973)

Black Christmas (1974)

Suspiria (1977)

And of course more recent films like Pan’s Labyrinth and Let the Right One In.

Does Mulholland Drive count? That would be up there as well if it counts.

+1 for The Shining, that was one of the films that made a massive impact on me when I was in my early teens and turned me into a movie addict.

And all the other famous horror movies like Alien, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The The Texas Chainsaw Massacre... And all the B-movie series like Wrong Turn, I love them lol.

I’m looking forward to seeing the Suspiria remake. I’ve been listening to Thom Yorke’s soundtrack and it has some beautiful songs.

Edit: I liked Pontypool as well.

One film I haven’t seen in ages is The Exorcist, I want to rewatch it.

Seeing so much love for 'The Thing' makes me happy.  I really like 'The Fog' and 'Prince of Darkness'. Thanks to a fucking useless childminder my parents sent me to, I had seen all three by the time I'd left primary school and they genuinely fucked me up for weeks afterwards.

Babadook is a great shout as well Blakey, and I still don't think i've recovered from watching Hereditary a few weeks ago.

10 hours ago, radiofloyd said:

Does Mulholland Drive count?

One scene does.

1 hour ago, Chimay said:

Babadook is a great shout as well Blakey

No (I'm in the minority here tho).

16 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

More recently, Ghost Stories this year was brilliant

+1.

16 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

(as was Hereditary),

+1

17 hours ago, Bigkopman said:

The Haunting of Hill House

+1

For a good horror comedy I'd recommend;

Seed of Chucky, It's proper daft.

Night of the Demon (1980), it's proper unintentionally daft.

Drag Me To Hell, guess what it's daft.

Frankenhooker, that title tho.

Then there's the obvs 80s greatness;

The Burning

Motel hell

Re-Animator

Poltergeist

Basket Case

The Fly

Fright Night

Brain Damage

Night of the Demons

Pumpkinhead

Also check out Bad Biology for something out there and a little different.