passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Red Dead Redemption 2

DisturbedSwan

Just had a funny moment, taking some guy home for a stranger side quest.

Dropped him off and walked towards my horse.

Guy by the side in this village so as I walked past him I did my usual, “howdy pardner!” greeting and just as he disappeared from my view, I heard him mutter, “asswipe”.

Was tempting to turn back and burn him and his village to the ground but I’m guessing that will happen later as I’m sure that mission was not a one off.

I’ll be back for you, fuck nugget. :fist:

There are definitely 6 main chapters but there are epilogues as well.

I think I’m near the end of Chapter 6, stuff is wrapping up but you never can tell. I’m trying to pace myself as I have a habit of over playing if I think I’m near the end of a game.

Turns out I had two missions left of Chapter 6. I’m now on the Epilogue.

So, Chapter 6 ending stuff...

Spoiler

Firstly, I haven’t so much liked the dialogue between Dutch and Arthur. Arthur, despite having cause to be confrontive, has been too confrontive. Almost whingey. It was like the point was being over conveyed. I got it, Arthur distrusts Dutch. Loud and clear.

They did make a good villain out of Micah though. I hated Micah, I was just waiting for the chance to kill him but it sadly never came. He was an asshole, he looked like one and he acted like one.

My feelings on Dutch are conflicted. Yea, he made bad choices and let himself get coerced a little but I never doubted he wanted to save everyone, he was just too focused on the big picture. Couldn’t see the trees for the forest in the end.

Killing the horse man. There was no need for that. Professor X was a good girl. They could have just let them go like they have a few times before but no, they went for the emotional moment and killed the horse and I thought it was in poor taste.

The fight with Micah sucked a ton of balls. It was long and drawn out. I was fully expecting one or both to go over the cliff the way they kept pushing each other edge side of the platform but no. 

Anyways, the plus side of it all was being back in the guise of John. That was cool. I’ve done the mission with him and when the Epilogue title card kicked in I saved but the way everything is going story wise to tie in to OG Red Dead I’m loving. I’m wondering if they’ll do something to explain why John never mentions Arthur. Considering how tight they were by the end but I’m expecting to just have to let that detail go because video games.

I’m not opening that spoiler just yet, still on chapter 6. Just made a “social call” if that helps where I am in the story.

Further theories about how this will go:

Seeing as Marston died in the last one and the epilogue had you play as his son, I’m fully expecting the death of Morgan, followed by the epilogue where you play as Marston.

Perhaps a bit obvious, but it’s what I would want out of the ending.

82 hours in for me. A few missions into Chapter 6.

I’ve pretty much been mainlining it since Chapter 4 but still doing all the Stranger missions/side missions I’ve seen pop up along the way. 

I think from mid Chapter 4 almost every single story mission has been absolutely incredible.

Spoiler

When you get setup by Angelo Bronte (saw that coming a mile off, Dutch is a moron) when attempting to steal from the Trolley station is I think where things really shift into top gear.

There’s that weird mission when you have to find the guy in the swamp after though which bogs down the pacing but the actual mission itself is pure perfection. It just shows Rockstar’s genius really how they can go from this great raid-gone-wrong and escape to a spooky, tense boat ride in a dark swamp at night.

Blasting into Bronte’s house, killing loads of his men and then capturing him in the dead of night was great too. I think the moment Dutch drowns Bronte in the swamp is when you really know he’s lost his marbles.

Then the pièce de résistance is the bank heist itself. Definitely my favourite mission in the entire game and possibly one of the best missions in all of video games. Riding in to town with all the gang, feeling like an absolute badass but just knowing it’s going to go tits up.

Hosea and Lenny getting shockingly killed, the escape over the rooftops, the bit where the remnants of the gang are holed up in the abandoned apartment. Everything is just phenomenal, my heart was beating so damn fast throughout, I felt like I was actually there with them, a part of the gang. Then the tense escape onto the boat the next day. Wow, just wow. Never in my wildest dreams expected this to go to the places it does.

Chapter 5 spoilers

Spoiler

I thought for sure Arthur was Dead when he woke up on Guarma. I really didn’t expect him to still be alive or for him to see any of the others again, I actually thought to myself ‘ah, that’s why he’s not in RDR then’ but no, I was wrong and he met up with the gang again.

I’m a bit conflicted with the Guarma missions that followed though as it all feels a bit forced and convenient really just to move the action on and have a huge set piece. Don’t get me wrong it is all impressive but I just felt it wasn’t that believable that Arthur and co would be getting involved in this kind of bombastic civil war really.

Still impressive all the same - especially the bit where you have to blow up the ship with the canon - but I was pleased to get back to America once the majority of that chapter was over.

And so far Chapter 6 has been fantastic too.

Spoiler

The bit where Arthur collapses in the street in Saint Denis was really heartbreaking and horrible to play as, I honestly thought he was going to die in the steeet when I saw him coughing up blood but he managed to just about pull through - for now. Seems that is what will likely kill him shortly though.

It’s so incredibly ironic that he likely got it from Edith Downes’ husband when he went to collect a debt as well. I really felt awful collecting that debt at the time and it made me really feel horrendous about my actions. So for that to all come back to bite Arthur in the arse is such poetic justice. 

The hot hot air balloon mission too. Jesus fucking Christ that was incredible! Never thought I’d see anything like that in this game but that mission was absolute perfection. It’s a shame the balloon pilot died though as he was a cool dude. I fucking adore Sadie too, one of the best characters in the game.

Not sure how much longer I’ve got left as it definitely feels like the game is now in its final act. It is a masterpiece in every regard so far, no game I’ve ever played has so consistently delivered on a minute-to-minute basis as this, it is a pure feast for the eyes and ears.

That chapter 5 spoiler - that’s been the worst moment so far. I disliked every minute of that section. 

What could’ve been a nice change of pace and scenery just really stuck out as a forced plot point. Maybe it’ll come back around and have some greater significance, but that should’ve been ripped out of the game.

Yeah (Chapter 5 spoilers again)

Spoiler

I think it was initially exciting, just being such a wow moment waking up on this tropical island that is so different to America. But after that it just turns into GTA really, in such a grounded story it stood out like a sore thumb and just felt so forced and out of place.

I think the only moment of poignance is when Dutch kills the old lady. That honestly sickened me.

I’m glad it’s in there though but I just wish they’d done the missions completely differently with more nuance and less bombast. Or maybe had it as a short flashback section or something.

I've just reached beyond chapter 6.

Spoiler

Fuckin knew Micah was a twat. A bit pissed I didn't get to Dead Eye the shit and unload the entire barrel in him ?

I'd have been slightly happy if Dutch redeemed his friendship somewhat by shooting Micah for me. 

Dick.

More details

Now that everyone has had a chance over the past month to experience the story of Arthur Morgan and the Van der Linde gang in Red Dead Redemption 2, it is almost time to begin the beta period for Red Dead Online. Early access to the Red Dead Online beta begins tomorrow on Tuesday, November 27, working up to full public access on Friday, November 30.

Built from the ground up for the latest hardware, Red Dead Online blends the classic multiplayer of the original Red Dead Redemption with the best of everything we have learned since then about creating deep multiplayer experiences. The result is something completely new and fun, and an experience that will continue to expand and evolve over time. 

With the gameplay of Red Dead Redemption 2 as its foundation, Red Dead Online transforms the vast and deeply detailed landscapes, cities, towns and habitats of Red Dead Redemption 2 into a new, living online world ready to be shared by multiple players. Create and customize your character, tailor your abilities to suit your play style and head out into a new frontier full of things to experience.

Explore the world solo or with friends. Form or join a Posse to ride with up to seven players; gather around the fire at your Camp; head out hunting or fishing; visit bustling towns; battle enemy gangs and attack their hideouts; hunt for treasure; take on missions and interact with familiar characters from across the five states; or fight against other outlaws in both spontaneous skirmishes and pitched set-piece battles; compete with other players or whole Posses in open world challenges and much more. 

The launch of the Red Dead Online Beta is the first step in what will be a continually expanding and dynamic world, and the beta period will allow us to deal with the inevitable turbulence of launching any online experience of this size and scale.

During this process, we will be looking to our dedicated community to help us report and fix problems, share ideas, and assist in shaping the future of the full Online experience. As with all of our releases, we will strive to make the launch of Red Dead Online the best it can possibly be, and we ask that the community share that spirit with us over the next weeks and months.

To help us ease into the beta and to mitigate major issues, we will begin the early access period starting Tuesday, November 27 at 8:30am EST, and gradually scale the player base up to full access beginning on Friday, November 30. This will help ensure that our servers can handle a steadily growing volume of concurrent players in the early hours and first days of the Beta and hopefully reduce the likelihood of any server crashes during the launch week as we get things up and running.  Full rollout details are as follows:

Tuesday, November 27th: All Red Dead Redemption 2: Ultimate Edition owners. Please note, players who purchased the physical Ultimate Edition must redeem the Ultimate Edition code in the packaging to be eligible.

Wednesday, November 28th: All players who played Red Dead Redemption 2 on October 26th according to our data.

Thursday, November 29th: All players who played Red Dead Redemption 2 between October 26th to October 29th according to our data.

Friday, November 30th: All players who own Red Dead Redemption 2.

The Red Dead Online Beta will be available to anyone who owns Red Dead Redemption 2 on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One starting Friday, November 30. When booting up Red Dead Redemption 2 and arriving to the title menu, you will see an option in the top right of the screen to select Online.

Stay tuned to the Rockstar Newswire tomorrow for more details about Red Dead Online modes, gameplay and more.

I made a little progress before work doing a mission or two for the natives.

Question for those that have done a fair bit around Saint Denis:

Does anything come of the guy going around asking if you’ve seen Gavin?

I bumped into him a couple of times but never saw his mate and started thinking it was some weird in joke for the developers?

@Hendo

Spoiler

Nope, it's pretty much a red herring as far as I've gathered. My cousin who has been playing as full evil has killed him twice and he still appears looking for Gavin. He does have a note on him if you wanna put one between his eyeballs and loot the cunt.

100% completion anyone? Here's what you have to do:

Missions And Events
- Complete all 107 story missions required to finish the story.
- Complete 10 stranger mission strands.
- Complete five bounty hunter missions.
- Have 25 chance encounters.
- Survive a gang ambush.
- Clear all gang hideouts.

Collectables
- Find one point of interest.
- Find the 9 Graves of your fallen companions.
- Collect a Complete Card Set of cigarette cards.
- Complete "A Test of Faith"
- Complete "A Fisher of Fish"
- Complete "Duchesses and Other Animals"
- Complete "Geology for Beginners"
- Complete "A Better World, A New Friend"
- Complete a treasure hunt chain.
- Find all 20 Dreamcatchers.

Compendium
- Discover 50 animals by studying them.
- Discover 10 equipment items.
- Discover 10 fish species.
- Discover all Gangs.
- Discover 10 horse breeds.
- Discover 20 plant species.
- Discover 48 Weapons.

Player
_ Reach max health, stamina, and dead eye.
- Achieve level 4 Bonding with your Horse.
- Complete all Challenges.

Miscellaneous
- Discover 5 shacks.
- Kill 5 Legendary Animals
- Play each table game once.
- Interact with 5 special characters.
- Take a bath (available in hotels).
- See a show.
- See a live Theater Show.
- Craft 1 recipe from six different category types.
- Complete a Home Robbery, a Shop Robbery, a Coach Robbery, and a Train Robbery.

I'm slowly picking my way through the list. I've done all the "Missions and Events", in the "Collectables"  section  i've done Points of Interest, Graves and Cigarette Cards. I'm working on the Legendary Fish at the moment, 5 down 8 to go. In the "Compendium" i've onl got 2 plants to find and 14 weapons then that's done. The biggest bastard will be the Challenges in the "Player" section, i'm only at 17 out of 90 for those. The rest is nearly done but what's not done takes some doing.

I'm not saying i'm going to go all out and do this, it's just something i've been doing whilst i'm still enjoying the game.