passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Red Dead Redemption 2

DisturbedSwan

Completed this earlier, as mentioned in the completion thread. The story, details, world and characters side - amazing. The rest of it, not so much. 

The controls didnt bother me as much as most people. I never punched my horse or shot someone I meant to talk to by mistake due to them. The gameplay was serviceable. 

I did however find it a real chore to play at times. The mission design was really quite boring and repetitive for the majority of the time. The riding around got real dull real quick. And was especially bad towards the end where you’re basically having to travel the entire map for and after every mission. 

There’s a million things to do to. Which may sound like a good thing but I found most of Im such a pain that I just ended up not engaging with any of the systems. The hunting! Jesus what a twat. Even when using tips and a small guide it was just too much of a faff to get decent skins that I ended up fucking it off completely. The challenges, compendium, jobs, crafting, bounty huntersetc. just weren’t fun. Now the fact I was able to ignore these completely and still get through the game fine can be seen as a positive but I usually like doing all that type of stuff (apart from crafting, soooo sick of that in games) and the fact I didn’t want to in this game is a negative IMO. 

But, I can’t stress enough how much I loved the story and character side. They’re  what kept me playing, even when I felt I couldn’t cope with another’s ride through the entire map,  something interesting would happen to one of the characters and I’d have to play another mission to see the next bit even though I really didn’t want to play anymore. Ultimately I’m glad I stuck at it to see it through. 

Arthur is a Legend. 

Oh, and technically this may be the most impressive game ever. I also think we may be passed the uncanny valley stage with humans in games now. More and more games are really impressing me with this. All the facial ticks and expressions are coming through brilliantly, for the majority of the time forgot I was looking at characters in a game. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I’m back on this having picked it up on Xbox one. Don’t have anything to add tho as I’m no where near the amount of time I put into it on PS4. Starting over though I really haven’t cared because the game feels like an honour to play in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this up again. Got 43 hours in before it pissed me off last time with all the heavy horse riding and indulgent animations for menial tasks like looting and gun maintenance.

I reckon I can get another 20 hours out of the way before the rot sets in again.

I mean, it's a decent game, especially if you're in the mood to slow things down a bit and relax into the world. The presentation is off the charts, too. But it asks a lot of the gamer, doesn't it? A bit like a nagging wife who likes everything just so**

**Looks around living room sheepishly.

Getting from the end of chapter 4 to the start of chapter 5 had me thinking I could have more fun in this world if the game would just stop interfering with me, so to speak.

I'm in a major shoot out and, without warning or explanation, my dead eye ability goes tits up, there are invisible walls all over the place, and my character seems unresponsive and unwieldy all of a pudden.

Feckin thing. I could have easily escaped that town, by just using the cover of the town. This sandbox game doesn't like me playing with it's precious sand.

I’m going to say something controversial and I hope you’re ready for it. 

I don't think the controls are bad. For what they’ve had to do I think they’re serviceable. The problem arises when the controls are different depending on a variety of circumstances. 

Stood unarmed

Stood weapon drawn

on horse

next to horse

slightly further away from horse

I do think the shootout/slow mo parts are poor tho. I couldn’t tell you what you need to do in them even now. Just push down on RT slow as fuck? ? I think the first time it happens the game doesn’t even pause? And it’s worded dumb. 

I'm okay with the controls to be honest. I've shot a few people by mistake, of course, but who hasn't in these parts.?

It's the invisible hand guiding me thru the missions that annoys. And I know I'm being a broken record about this, but it's a question of blowing off steam when a game that could have been great is hobbled by design choices, by what seems to be a wilful subversion of what gamers have decided they want from an open world game, freedom.

I mean, at the end of chapter 4, and for the beginning mission in 5, I don't seem to be able to control dead eye. I can click it on but there's some invisible force that won't let me land a shot. Now, I have no idea if I'm encountering a bug, if it's a design decision, or if my controller is broken. That's what this game is like. 

This game is officially off it's feckin nuts. That absued balloon mission, and then this scouting mission to find a new hideout, with a painfully slow horse ride, an equally fatiguing canoe journey, a walk, then another horse ride - all for a 30 second shoot out in a cave.

And yet I'm compelled to play on. It's the characters I think, especially the lead, and some of the cheerfully daft strangers. I dunno. I'll get thru it, and have good memories, but it might be the last Rockstar game I entertain if this is the direction they intend to take things.

Am I in the minority if I say I think Red Dead 2 is the best game R* have made since GTA4? 

I want them to do more games like this, but tackle different titles than just GTA and Red Dead

It would be fine if the mission design wasn't shit.

You know what's one cool detail. This one time I picked up a book beside Dutch while he was reading. Arthur was stood reading right next to Dutch and after a while Dutch was like "would you kindly back off a bit".

Just a neat thing that an NPC felt awkward about the player character's behaviour.

Anyway that's a really boring anecdote but it's hard for me to say nice things about this game.

I can’t understand why people think the mission design is shit in RDR2 exclusively but not in other R* games. It is the same as it has ever been. Someone mostly well written justifies your next set of hoops, you drive/ride to the place on the road/path, jump through the hoops when you get there, rinse and repeat.  

I’m sure people will be like “But what about this mission or what about this mission?” Shuddup. I’m not saying every mission in every R* game ever but very generally this is how they work. 

But aside from that RDR2 works for me 1) because the atmosphere is so rich and 2) I really like the pace of it. It’s nice for a game to go an inch at a time instead of feeling like it’s trying to rush me all the time. Every time I go back to camp I chop the wood, and move the haystacks and eat the soup. It’s just so fucking good.

I left the game on the start of chapter 4 I think, I really need to get back to it at some point. 

Guy did you not listen to what people were saying about GTAIV. It was the same complaints then

These games just feel like HBO series with interactive sets. That's cool in its own way but unbearable in other ways. No room for the player to express how they think things should go, always following the script.

I honestly haven’t had that at all. Maybe I’m really good at doing what I’m told what but I’ve never “left the mission area” or been warned of it. I’ve never had the game tell me I couldn’t do something I wanted too. 

I don’t know. Y’all be insane. 

RDR2 sold me as soon as I walked into Valentine and just seeing everyone go about their business, the sights, the sounds, and of all things seeing the planks outside the shops have the sun shine off of muddy boot prints was just really scene setting. 

I know it’s a tiny thing that doesn’t matter but it actually did to me I thought it was cool.

You know, along with the dozens of other cool details about how their towns work. 

EDIT: Also GTA4’s only problem is it goes on too long. They could cut a lot of the later 3rd out and it would be much better

No, I really, heavily, ultimately dislike GTA5. I can’t hand on heart say it’s a bad game because I respect the talent it takes to make a world like that work so well but in terms of fun very few games this gen or last I can think of ranks as low as GTA5. It’s right down there. Right, right down there.