passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Red Dead Redemption 2

DisturbedSwan

11 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Have you got any tips on the hunting @Maf? I just can’t get into it, it seems far too difficult and time consuming. I’ve been trying to get a perfect deer pelt to upgrade my satchel for what seems like hours and just failing all the time. I’ll find a perfect deer, use small game arrows and get head shots but it always knocks a star or 2 off the quality.

Please help! Before I sack hunting off altogether! 

From what I’ve seen so far you basically need 4 weapons. The Varmint rifle for small animals, a Carbine Repeater and Springfield rifle for medium to large sized animals, and a bow and arrow with small game arrows for birds and tiny animals and poison arrows for wolves and legendary animals.

You also have to kill animals in one shot, typically headshots on medium and large sized animals but small stuff you can hit anywhere. Because animals get spooked a medium or long range scope for the Springfield rifle is highly recommended. 

To completely fill an animal’s record in your compendium you need to track, kill and skin. So even if an animal has no chance of getting away you should always track it anyway just for completion’s sake.

Also to know what type of weapon to use you have to study an animal first. This means getting close and binoculars are great for this. The toughest things are birds as they are very quick to fly away and can even outrun the range of the binoculars very quickly. There isn’t much need for birds so far other than getting feathers to make more arrows, but you want to be very, very far away from them if that’s what you’re hunting. 

Finding animals is quite tough. Even when your map says “Animal is here”. It doesn’t mean exactly there, just surrounding areas. Also some animals are nocturnal. So if you’re having no luck finding something, be sure to set up camp and try night time as well. 

It is quite patience testing, but once you get the hang of it finding your hunt is the hardest part. 

Fishing is a whole other thing. I can tell you about that as well if you want 

32 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Small game arrows are for squirrels and other rodents

Holding R1 usually tells you what weapon to use

Haha that’ll be one of my issues then! 

Thanks for that @Maf, I’ll have another go later. Where can I get the extra weapons and specific ammo btw? 

And im ok on fishing thanks. I don’t enjoy that part at all. I mainly don’t want to worry about my satchel capacity and want to upgrade some other bits. 

All of the weapons can be bought from the gunsmith in Valentine. Although some might be locked behind story progression. 

Poison arrows and small game arrows you need both the recipes (And you need to read them once found) and then craft them at a camp fire. Most recipes can be bought from Saint Denis (I think it’s called) and the ingredients can be found in the swamp area

Speaking of gun shops I never understood how to trigger that thingy under the gunshop in Rhodes.

Like it seemed like I should be able to go up to the gun shop owner and ask him wtf. Stuff like that frustrated me with this game, feeling like shit should be open ended but there's a very particular contextual trigger that you're missing out on preventing you from seeing cool shit.

See also: the high stakes poker game in Saint Denis.

You just barge down the back of the stairs for the Rhodes gun shop. Then the guy chases you down and asks you leave. You can leave, or free the guy, or the free the guy and kill the gun shop owner. I did the second one because despite being messed up the gunshop owner’s story made him too sad to kill

This game continues to surprise. I made a camp and got approached by gang members at gun point and told to be careful. I found, Let’s say, something from outer space. I also found this at the very corner of the map 

D0NrjXQWsAIZOSZ.jpg

Also discovered you can design the guns guns you get, so I did this 

D0NrqS7WoAAUZ_3.jpg

Moments before finding a rare rare shotgun out in the world. And to finish it off I found a Viking helmet in a old tomb

D0Nrv-BXgAAXzT1.jpg

womder if it protects the head better when being shot at?

It is a ridiculously long and in depth game. I really need to stop exploring for a bit and just set my self some goals. Trying to finish kitting out the camp and completing a couple of the special task lists is what I really want to do. One of them is shoot 10 birds while standing on a moving train. That sounds fun 

So today frustration started to creep in. It’s because I’ve now moved my expeditions north into the back end of the mountains and even though I’m still finding fun weird stuff

D0SkyNQX4AEBBBW.jpg

The getting around has been a real pain. Remember Breath of the Wild and everyone moaned about the rain and how it would make you slip when climbing? Well, imagine that except you have the mobility of a R* character, you don’t need rain to slip, you can’t tell what bits of terrain are slippery, and as soon as you start falling you go limp in to rag doll and there’s no stopping you. Y’know, unless you hit a rock or something. 

This was really funny at first. I’ve had a few world class deaths today which made me wish I was streaming it because they were good. But after a while it just gets annoying. There are ridges in the very north which aren’t technically the edge of the map, but I feel like they must be because how you get through or up them I don’t know. 

This is combined with the map design also getting frustrating because I can not tell if the way they hide secrets in this game is subversive or a piss take. There’s lots of weird and wonderful stuff like the pic above to find, but for actual stuff, collectibles, weapons, clothes, etc. It’s like they design very obvious areas where in any other game there would definitely be something there, but in this I come up empty handed a lot. Like being on the side of a mountain, following all the jumps and gaps around the edges, only to find my self in what feels like a very distinctive cove with nothing in it except a slide right to the bottom. It feels like the designers are playing tricks on me. Which is annoying because

1) This map is so dense and has so many corners that feel specific I have to look

2) If they are doing this knowingly then it’s an asshole move and if it’s just coincidence that a bunch of pathways are literal dead ends then, I just don’t see how it could be

3) As mentioned just trying to move around on this particular part of the terrain is incredibly patience testing. 

I don’t know what to make of the map design decisions. In something like Zelda I really liked the way they use negative space because it made the world feel more natural and kept the dopamine up when you actually did find something because you felt like you found something cool. There was fantastic balance between game environment and natural environment. 

Here it is having the reverse effect. The negative space in Zelda was never hidden. There are just places with nothing but views and scenery. In Red Dead I can’t tell the difference between naturally unused space, someone deliberately creating areas and then putting nothing in them or I’m just getting myself at it thinking things are there when they aren’t. 

Maybe it’s a testament just to how hand crafted this world is that every place feels like it could mean something. But just a tiny  bit of help and guidance would be nice. Also if Arthur got some grip on he’s boots that would go along way, too

Think I maybe reaching a point where I just don’t think I’m enjoying playing this anymore. Finding it a bit boring and a bit of a slog. I love the characters and story side but I’m not enjoying the actual gameplay at all. Plus I’ve got plenty other games to play. 

Think I’m in the boring middle chapter too, part way through chapter 3. I’ve met the 2 families at Rhodes and doing missions for both at the minute which are particularly dull. I’ve heard a few things that happen later on which I really want to experience. How long does this part of the story continue for? 

Lovely to read how much you have been enjoying rdr2 Maf. I too have been enjoying rolling around in the world.

I hear your frustration over the world being densely packed but sometimes weirdly empty. I found a path up a mountain and spent a while slipping my way to the top, only to find a flat area with nothing to see.

It does make me wonder if some of these weirdly empty areas are part of a stranger mission or quest I've not got to yet.

I'm on chapter 4 now and the story is still interesting to me. I've just been having so much more fun exploring :)