passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Red Dead Redemption 2

DisturbedSwan

Maf

Again I'll point out that you can get the satchels another way later and you don't need hunting for completionist (I think...)

I saw a badger once. I can't remember if I skinned one or not. You are not going to find or do any of that in a time efficient way so you might as well give up if the idea of staring at grass and leaves for minutes on end is taking its toll. Staying in the same area for close to an hour trying to catch something and not being spotted yourself.

None of RDR's systems are friendly or respectful of your time, least of all the hunting. It's the most "fuck you" AAA game I can think of in recent years. Maybe you can see now why it's so divisive.

As for the HDR it just boosts the values but still keeps it in a limited range, or something like that? It's not HDR, it's faked or something according to a of articles. So turn it off.

It's occurred to me also you might still be on chapter two. Chapter two is a long ass tutorial so it's good to progress past it as quickly as possible.

I’m sitting next to a night time campfire drinking booze and cleaning my guns while Javier strums some cool music on he’s guitar. Then I’m gonna eat these fucking wolves that keep trying to eat me and going to bed. 

This is game is so much fun

• 4 weeks later...

This game continues to blow me away.

I've been dipping into the missions, but mostly I've just been kicking my heels and exploring the world.

I'm part of the way through chapter 3 and I'm finding the story interesting enough. Nice to find out a little bit more of Dutch (and John)

I've been getting most of my meeting people going about their lives (and petting every dog I meet) it's fascinating how densely packed the world is.

I've spent some time fishing in a lake. I've spent some time trailing wildlife. I've taken my horse (Mr. Trousers) all the way to the top of the mountains, and all the way into some horrible deep cave in the back end of nowhere that was full of bits of people...

While playing last night, I was out walking in the woods, watching the sun go down. As the light was making long fingers through the trees, a fog started to roll into the forest. I usually find that there's something of interest in the middle of unmarked areas of the map, so I carried on walking.

I heard what sounded like whispering. The sound in the game is phenomenal, and playing with headphones adds to the immersion. I turned up the volume to try and work out what the noise was, and where it was coming from. 

Definitely sounded like whispering...

and then.

nice and loud

"what's that awful noise?"

I dropped my controller in shock. It sounded like it was coming from someone stood right next to me. I turned the Xbox off.

scared the shit out of me. fuck knows who it was, but I'm not going back there at night again! lol

I chip away at this but can only play at the weekend. I’m still in chapter 3 and just did a bank robbery. I love this game more when I’m exploring as 90% of the missions are the same. Go to area. Threaten person. Something has gone wrong and you have to shoot respawning enemies and escape. A bank. A ranch. A jailhouse. All the same. 

So... Minding my own business up West of Strawberry and Charles came out of nowhere "there you are Dutch was worried, sent me out looking for you".

Rode back to camp with him, talking pretty much all the way home about stuff I had seen and what was going on at camp...

This game, man... This game...

Oh! 

I also got challenged to a duel by someone who had just shot someone else to death

Naturally, I'd poked 6 holes right through the other guys head before he even got his hand on the gun.

Then everyone got angry at me and I got a $20 bounty on my head. I've been paying off my bounties as I've been playing, but I only had about $4 on me at the time.

I surrendered to the sheriff, not wanting to push my bounty any higher. Spent a night in the cell and my bounty was gone!

I thought this would be a great way to shake off my $300 I'm Stawberry.

I went into strawberry and fired my gun into the air, then surrendered when the sheriff rocked up.

Sitting in the cell feeling smug about having just saved $300 and John and Charles rock up and bust me out of prison!

Awesome, but my bounty went up to $325...

I started this yesterday. Part way through chapter 2 now. Just got the bear hunt done. Miles away from camp now! 

Im enjoying it so far. I’m already loving getting to know the characters! The shoot outs have been fun too.

But I can definitely see the slowness reaching the point where I’ve had enough after a few hours and I understand where the control criticisms come from, especially when trying to fine tune to some pick up or hitching the horse. Not found the conversation thing too bad though, just got to make sure their name has popped up on LT first. For now I’m enjoying it thought. I need a fast travel system to unlock soon though, already getting slightly bored of riding everywhere. 

Edit - anyone know if the HDR issue has been patched? I can’t find any more recent information than the December patch and that said it hadn’t been fixed yet. The colours just look washed out and not sure if it’s down to that. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think I’m about 60 hours into this game now and have still only done 2 missions in chapter 3. I love this game. Like I love this game. Like I love this like it might be one of my favourite games of all time kind of love this game. 

It’s. Just. Awesome. I still can’t get over the vistas and the music even when travelling over the same fields again and again. I’ve come around big time on the hunting and have almost kitted out my camp. I need Mouse antlers, one more Ox hide, 2 Cougar hides, and something else.

Then I got to start hunting again to get all the outfits in the game. Most of which are terrible and I don’t understand why they all do the same stuff but I need them anyway. There is a particular waist coat that looks great and I need it. 

I also, finally, learnt how to catch legendary fish. This is the thing I love most about the game is the player discovery. It’s sort of similar to Breath of the Wild where working out how to do things is still the reward. However in BotW the things you do have more direct applications on how you can interact with the game world and Red Dead is still more that traditional loot getting check list orientated progress. But it’s still great because it’s hard to work out and you have to discover how to do it. You can’t catch fish with regular bait. But the game only hints at that and doesn’t tell you where to get it. The map for legendary fish is nonsense and you have to look at it 3 or 4 times and cross reference it with your real map to work out the locations. Then you got to work out which of the special baits work best. Etc.

And it’s kind of like that for everything. Hunting, treasure maps, finding ingredients. 

The only place this falls falls down is the collectibles aspect of the world. That isn’t so much player discovery as it is player luck. There are 30 dinosaur bones to find in the world. So far I have found 3. And one of them was in the middle of a field I crisscrossed a lot and just happen to find it. The Dreamcatcher trees are a really a cool idea except there is only 20 specific trees in a WORLD OF FUCKING TREES. 

Even though it is really, really fun finding cigarette cards I did find a way you can get around that and that is too simply buy infinite packs of premium cigarettes from a shop. They’re like 3 bucks a pop and I have 1200 bucks so if I ever run out of places to look I think I can solve that one. 

But I still love this game to death and back. I think it is fantastic both in the scripted and the open world. I love the story and characters and get sucked in as soon as anybody starts talking. But I can also leave that behind and really get in to the game parts of puzzling out mountains and locations trying to figure out these treasure maps. And then for the most part the game just blends it together when I’m wandering through foggy woods, gun in hand, horse trotting by my side, and we’re both very quiet listening for wolf howls and following bear tracks. Not only does the game land me in a sense of space unlike any game I can really remember. But it’s also landing me in a type of era I’ve never thought or cared about but now am super into. I liked Red Dead 1 ok, but it never really clicked for me. I think because John Marshmellow is a fucking joke and an idiot and I love this game points that out all the time. But something about this game is just firing for me on all cylinders all the time. From the quiet to the insane this game just has it all.

I had the craziest time with this game. I caught that big fish, I found a cave with a guy in it who claimed to be the devil, I found a crazy lady who set her dogs on me, some pagan ritual site with half a corpse on a stick and a mask. I took the mask but don’t know where it’s gone. And last but not least, I found myself up in the snowy mountains (Which is beautiful, by the way). And while I was there I found this 

D0IRkfcXcAQIArH?format=jpg&name=large

So purrty. I’ve had one horse, Buck, through out the entire game but I saw this and had to have it. Went on a rally treacherous trek to get it back to camp and found out it’s stats are amazing and considered elite

I’ve put a saddle in it now and make it my main horse but don’t know how to name it. Anyway, only at bond level 2 out of 4 and it’s already super fast. But good and bad, amazing detail that the horse gets dirty just as you go about your business, but bad that the horse gets dirty.  ?

D0IRqJ3XgAA4xfW.jpg

Have you got any tips on the hunting @Maf? I just can’t get into it, it seems far too difficult and time consuming. I’ve been trying to get a perfect deer pelt to upgrade my satchel for what seems like hours and just failing all the time. I’ll find a perfect deer, use small game arrows and get head shots but it always knocks a star or 2 off the quality.

Please help! Before I sack hunting off altogether!