passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Red Dead Redemption 2

DisturbedSwan

Just had a small moment that made me go “wow that’s cool”. There’s a tree in the Heartlands I’ve passed several times, it’s the ones with loads of bottles hanging from it. This time I happened to trigger eagle eye and noticed yellow indicator on one of the bottles. I shot it down and it contained a gold nugget! Just found that a really nice detail. 

Started this today after saying I was about to start it for around 3 hours on Discord...

I played as far as the end of the Old Friends mission where you lasso one of the O’ Driscolls and bring him back to your camp.

I started the game with diminished expectations because of the negative kickback it has received, and I can see why it has.

I don’t think the original GTA III Trilogy would have become massive hits if they featured so many totally unnecessary gameplay elements like searching through drawers and looting corpses and basically stopping every two seconds to pick up random crap. Of course it can work in point and click RPGs and games like Fallout 3, but it felt completely unnecessary in a linear shooter like Bioshock Infinite and feels completely ridiculous here, especially when it features an accompanying animation every time.

I don’t think they would have become massive hits if they had featured this cover, shoot gameplay mechanic either. I feel like it’s been in the last few Rockstar games but I could be wrong. Anyway it’s not particularly fun and I hope they go with something else for their next game. 

And by Jesus I don’t think they would have been big hits if they had featured all this hold button to do XYZ malarkey. Hold square, hold triangle, hold L2. Speaking of L2 I’m not sure that the game need dialogue trees either. I had the option to do it a few times while horse riding and I had no idea why they bothered implementing it. Not to mention that one of the character’s dialogue skipped immediately when I reached the mission location.

One complaint I have is that the text size on the right hand side of the screen is too small for me to read clearly. I can read the dialogue no problem but I struggle a bit to read the information on the right hand side of the screen. There doesn’t seem to be an option to increase the text size.

I noticed that the game takes control out of your hands sometimes. It doesn’t allow to you run, it doesn’t allow you to draw your weapon, it doesn’t allow you to shoot. I guess that the game is designed to be a very directed experience, at least the story missions.

One small but bizarre thing. You can only turn the page in Arthur’s journal when you are looking at his handwriting. I can’t read his handwriting (or tried briefly and gave up) so I used the “read” option that brings up a more legible version, but you can’t scroll to the next page using this view. What the hell. 

The menu wheel feels clunky, unnessecary and again quite hard to read for me.

Somehow the horse riding feels unwieldy too. Hold X to keep pace with your companion...but I keep wanting to use my right thumb to adjust the camera so I end up altering my thumb between the X button and the right analogue stick.

Overall, I’d say that the game makes a so-so first impression. The writing from the get-go has been completely run of the mill Rockstar by numbers. The game is going for a cinematic western feel, but then it is competing with cinema, and there are enough classic westerns for the bar to very high.

But time will tell!

Yeah it’s far from “Game Of The Year” material. There are some great moments,for sure. Definitely enjoyed playing it through to the end. But there’s undeniable issues. Constantly being stopped to run around the camp,what was the point in that? It just made interactions at camp twice as long as it had to be.

Ok, I need to get to rank 38 in order to be allowed to buy the hunting rifle in this game

The player tab mouse over for rank says it's determined by eating, sleeping and taking care of yourself.

I'm rank 5.

Even when I try to give this mode a chance it's just full of this boring work that just isn't worth it at all

I can't even buy a bow and arrow.

I got this!

it took 14 hours to download! ?

I've rolled through chapter 1, which was good fun. Only killed a few people by accident...

I'm in Chapter 2 now, although I've done nothing other than spend 6 hours noodling about in the wilderness. Killed all sorts of wildlife, picked all sorts of plants. Helped out several ungrateful strangers... I tell you, next time I see some jeb end up a tree with a cougar attacking him, I'm going to pull up a chair and watch.

I keep being blown away by how pretty the landscape looks, and little details like seeing a fish splash up and pluck a fly from the surface of a river.

I was wandering around the countryside, and a pair of O'Driscols threatened me.  Naturally, I shot one, and hog-tied the other. I tried to take him back to camp, but you're not allowed...

I walked into valentine, and an O'Driscol started chasing me down the street and shooting at me, I guess that was some karma for me...

If you have 37 minutes and 47 seconds to spare like I do then this is a very interesting take on the design of Red Dead delivered by a white dude on a bouncy ball.

The way he describes his experience of whiplash between the openness of the open world and the boring scripted missions is basically all the same problems I had.

So I was standing on the edge of a cliff just admiring what the game looks like. Started messing around the controls because I couldn’t remember what they were. Got my gun out and aimed it at nothing. Couldn’t figure out how to put it back in the holster. While aiming I pushed the X button (Xbox) and my guy dived of a cliff to he’s death.

Think I might need to start this game again ?