passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Red Dead Redemption 2

DisturbedSwan

Here's my stream from the other night by the way if anyone fancies nodding off for the night:

Not got anything more to add at this time as I won't get to play it until Monday.

Is anyone else having issues with the HDR in this by the way? My game keeps looking really washed out and there's lots of others on ResetEra that have either disabled it or put it up to 400 on the scale on both consoles. Think I'll try putting it up to 400 on Monday.

@Nag

I feel exactly the same way.

I’m about 5/6 hours in and the game seems to be constantly informing me of busy work I have to do. I don’t mind a bit of micro-managing, but here it seems to be going against the open nature and drifter spirit of the game.

I can tell it’s a quality product, but I worry that it’s completely the wrong game for me to be playing at the moment due to my limited gaming time.

2 hours ago, Nag said:

Should of shot him... @retroed

I decided against restarting and rolled with what I had yesterday, played around another three hours... I'm still a little undecided with how I feel about it truth be told. I'm finding the whole thing a little bewildering what with the whole cores thing along with eating, sleeping, having to dress for the weather and care for your horse... I think I would've preferred a straight up western GTA V than something more akin to the Witcher.

Anyway, I've started doing some debt collections after having my head torn off by that fucking legendary bear (who legged it to avoid a rematch)... It'll have to wait until Friday now though, where I'll probably have forgotten everything.?

So - that bear. I decided to go back and have another pop, though couldn't find the bugger. On leaving the valley my new horse stacked it jumping over a small rock and I didn't have any way of reviving him, so a knife to the gut it was (pro tip - stock up on horse revivers). Thing is, he was wearing a $50 saddle that I wasn't going to leave behind so i lugged the damned thing up towards a tunnel thinking i'd walk through it, find a wild horse then gallop back to the camp. This tunnel went on forever. It literally took me about 15 minutes of walking through pitch black darkness to get to the other side. After camping and a few random encounters (there was a woman being kidnapped - bad luck for her though - no chance i'm dropping this saddle i've been carrying for close to 30 mins now to help) I finally made it to Valentine where I saddled up someone else's horse and made it back to base.

I'd also lost my new hat on the way, wasn't happy about that.

Thing is, I loved every minute of that, it's one of those games where the world actually feels alive, I just stood there at one point watching the sun rise over a lake whilst wildlife scattered around and the first few townsfolk idled past. 

@Middle_Class_Hero Can't you choose to do tasks at your own pace? There are no time limits are there? Nothing to ruin by sodding off for weeks on end?

Anyway you'll all be pleased to know that I am on my last house sitting duty day and will be back with a PS4 from tomorrow and you can bet your bottom dollar I shall be picking up RDR2 on my way back home.

@wiivo 2.0

I’ll get back to you on that. I’m still getting used to the mechanics of the game so am unsure as to how beneficial/punishing they are for doing/neglecting them. All I know is that it seems to rapid fire them at you quite quickly and I’m finding it a little stressful tbh (but that could just be my anxiety kicking in ha ha).

As an example, I got a message popping up last night saying I had lost weight! Now I am unsure whether thats good/bad/doesn’t matter at this stage, but I’m worried they might have gone a little too far with the systems in it.

Hopefully I’m being massively premature here (I have only played it a couple of times afterall), but it’s just the first impressions I get.

I too have lost my hat. :(

My amazing legendary bear hat has gone, possibly lost forever as I was killed going for a trek from an abandoned little village back to Valentine. Incidentally, that abandoned village is financially worth a visit, plus worth a look to see the grim prison.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I too have lost my hat. :(

My amazing legendary bear hat has gone, possibly lost forever as I was killed going for a trek from an abandoned little village back to Valentine. Incidentally, that abandoned village is financially worth a visit, plus worth a look to see the grim prison.

I love how pre-launch everyone was banging on about how you'll get emotionally attached to your horse, yet I was more upset to lose my hat than poor 'Dobby' (in hindsight - should have tried to skin him) - seems i'm incredibly materialistic. I lack the funds to buy another at the moment as well, so had to settle for some hair pomade.

Today was the day everything finally clicked for me with this game. Granted it has taken a very long time (13 hours) and lots of fiddling with settings to get there but wow wow wow wow wow what a game now I know what it is and have a grasp on its controls and systems.

Don’t get me wrong the previous 9 hours I was engrossed by it but today I was absolutely mesmerised. You can usually tell how engrossed I am in a game by how little/much I drink my drink next to me when I play and today I drank literally nothing in 3 hours before realising what the time was ?

The first thing I did when starting the game up was sort the HDR issues - I had the calibration set to the recommended 100 and put it up to 400 - which improved the visual quality massively and meant the world didn’t look so grey and washed out anymore. Instead the world was now full of colour, the nighttime luminescence from lanterns, wood fires and inside houses is nothing less than jaw dropping and the sky full of bright twinkling stars.

To sort my control issues out I upped the sensitivity even more and then upped the aim acceleration and lowered the aiming dead zone. It still isn’t perfect but it makes the combat feel so much snappier, smoother and responsive instead of the heavy feeling, slow default option. The other more confusing control issues I had with the various menus have gone away too but I think I’ve just got used to them by now.

I do understand the complaints from others that they focused on the realism too much and not enough in making it a ‘game’ and ‘fun’ and I agreed with those complaints at times within the first 9 hours but now everything has clicked I’m struggling to see them manifested personally.

To me what it feels most like is Fallout. But, Fallout without all the gamey elements stripped away. Instead of the Top Compass from Fallout showing you silhouettes with points of interest on the horizon gradually becoming clearer as you get closer in this the points of interest are just houses, farms, abandoned towns etc. That you can choose or choose not to explore. They catch your eye and entice you in through light or smoke and stoke your natural curiosity to explore rather than relying on an icon to do this for you.

It just feels so organic and real. I was just riding past this house earlier, snuck up around the outside to see a guy inside a window reading a newspaper and some piles of money on the table. So I equip my shotgun, kick in the front door and take their heads off in the stairwell, then loot the place and net myself a nice healthy amount of cash.

I also infiltrated this farm which didn’t go to play at all. I approached and tried to be friendly but they started firing so I shot them, then the dog started biting me so I had to kill it :( Whilst I was inside reading a book I found someone discovered the bodies and by the time I came out a load of Lawmen were hot on my tail, they chased me all across the swamps and I had to gun a load of them down which led to a full $195 bounty on my head :lol:

The hunting has grown on me too, the Eagle Eye thing does feel a bit unrealistic in a game based in realism but I get that it’s probably the best compromise R* could come up with. Hunting this Legendary Bear on one of the early missions really got my heart pumping but unfortunately he charged and killed me before I knew what the fuck was going on.

It has taken a long time to get there but now all the pieces of the puzzle have come together I truly think this could be the next step in gaming and the first time a game has truly properly felt like a living, breathing, real place. I don’t want to get bogged down in the hyperbole yet as it’s still early days, but, wow.