Sign in to follow this  
DifferentClass

Cross-Console Play News

11 minutes ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

That’s very surprising news

If you realise I don't make the headlines... probably would've gone better if Nintendo wasn't in the header.

But you linked them to make a point @Nag.

The article just talks about revenue, which isn't how success is usually measured.  At least not honestly.

Nothing to do with Nintendo.

You know what, I'm not even going there... people being pedantic and precious about stupid shit like this isn't worth the time... arguing for fucking arguments sake.😐

For god sake it is not being pedantic pointing out the difference between revenue and profit.  It's GCSE stuff.

Sorry, I'm being an arse.

It's just revenue is money made without taking into account money spent.  

I feel like an arse explaining that.

I am an arse.

It didn't need explaining... the fact they can generate that much money full stop is what I was getting at.... it's irrelevant if their pouring it all back in to their infrastructure or whatever. They're on top, they're gonna arses.

I'm going bed.

I gotta back up a bit.  When I advocate for cross-platform play, I'm not doing it out of dumb naivety.

Like I said, the market is fickle.  PS2 was leagues ahead, then the 360 and Wii came along and Sony had to go fully pro consumer and fund crazy shit to get some ground back.

They should know the power of goodwill and how it can win people back, and how pure numbers aren't the key.

That's what I'm getting at.  It's like they don't know how they got the reigns back.

4 hours ago, Nag said:

If you realise I don't make the headlines... probably would've gone better if Nintendo wasn't in the header.

That old chestnut.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of it’s not much more than Microsoft despite have a much larger user base and the content available on the largest user base is so much larger because of its age. Plus Switch has 3mb of storage out of the box. 

But it I like Nintendo so fuck my opinion 🤦🏻‍♂️

6 hours ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

But it I like Nintendo so fuck my opinion 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yep.👍

Xbox Live Coming to Switch and Other Hanheld Platforms

Microsoft is readying a new level of Xbox Live support for Nintendo Switch, iOS and Android devices.

The Windows maker teased the reveal, due next month at GDC 2019, via the industry event's own conference schedule(thanks, Windows Central).

The move will see Microsoft integrate Xbox Live achievements, friends, clubs and game history into non-Xbox and Windows PC platforms for the first time.

"Xbox Live is about to get MUCH bigger," Microsoft's description reads. "Xbox Live is expanding from 400m gaming devices and a reach to over 68m active players to over 2bn devices with the release of our new cross-platform XDK.

"Get a first look at the SDK to enable game developers to connect players between iOS, Android, and Switch in addition to Xbox and any game in the Microsoft Store on Windows PCs."

You can already sign-in to your Xbox Live profile on Nintendo Switch and mobile platforms within certain Microsoft games (the cross-platform Minecraft being the most obvious example).

This deeper integration goes way beyond that, though - to tie non-Microsoft games on non-Microsoft platforms into Xbox Live as well. So, for example, if you're playing Warframe on Nintendo Switch, you could earn Xbox achievements. Or if you're playing Fortnite on mobile, you could browse your Xbox friend list to find people to play with.

(Sony's refusal to allow Xbox Live sign-ins within Minecraft - and therefore support for the game's cross-platform version - means it's unsurprising there's no sign of PlayStation here.)

It's a hugely ambitious play from Microsoft - and it all remains to be seen how it will work. Perhaps the mobile version will work via the Xbox app, updated to function like GameCentre on iOS which tracks when you begin playing games?

Guess I might go and check if my Xbox Live account still exists.

I read that earlier, don't understand that much about it to be honest but I'm gathering it could be quite a massive step....

yeah, I'm not really seeing the point of it either. I'm sure there's a reason for them doing it, but unless they're going to start publishing stuff on those platforms I don't get what purpose it serves, to them or us?

5 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

yeah, I'm not really seeing the point of it either. I'm sure there's a reason for them doing it, but unless they're going to start publishing stuff on those platforms I don't get what purpose it serves, to them or us?

So, for example, if you're playing Warframe on Nintendo Switch, you could earn Xbox achievements. Or if you're playing Fortnite on mobile, you could browse your Xbox friend list to find people to play with.

@DifferentClass yeah but why? What do they get out of it and why would you go through another filter? The friendlist thing is a good idea but the game could just import that stuff if it's all going through Epic's clients, or whatever. It just seems such a small use case

Well with the Switch for example, since it doesn't have much in terms of features on the device itself I think potentially having XBL on the device could be a good substitute.  It's all maybes since we don't know the details but potentially you could connect with other Switch users through it.  It's just another good step towards a fully cross-play future if it gets used enough.  If MS do enough to make it worthwhile they could gain more Gold subscribers from people who don't even have an Xbox.

It may even inspire Nintendo to get more competitive on their own device if more people are using it over their own.

They wanna do that streaming to every device in the world ever thing though... Is this the first step?