passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Cross-Console Play News

HandsomeDead

I gotta back up a bit.  When I advocate for cross-platform play, I'm not doing it out of dumb naivety.

Like I said, the market is fickle.  PS2 was leagues ahead, then the 360 and Wii came along and Sony had to go fully pro consumer and fund crazy shit to get some ground back.

They should know the power of goodwill and how it can win people back, and how pure numbers aren't the key.

That's what I'm getting at.  It's like they don't know how they got the reigns back.

4 hours ago, Nag said:

If you realise I don't make the headlines... probably would've gone better if Nintendo wasn't in the header.

That old chestnut.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of it’s not much more than Microsoft despite have a much larger user base and the content available on the largest user base is so much larger because of its age. Plus Switch has 3mb of storage out of the box. 

But it I like Nintendo so fuck my opinion ??‍♂️

Xbox Live Coming to Switch and Other Hanheld Platforms

Microsoft is readying a new level of Xbox Live support for Nintendo Switch, iOS and Android devices.

The Windows maker teased the reveal, due next month at GDC 2019, via the industry event's own conference schedule(thanks, Windows Central).

The move will see Microsoft integrate Xbox Live achievements, friends, clubs and game history into non-Xbox and Windows PC platforms for the first time.

"Xbox Live is about to get MUCH bigger," Microsoft's description reads. "Xbox Live is expanding from 400m gaming devices and a reach to over 68m active players to over 2bn devices with the release of our new cross-platform XDK.

"Get a first look at the SDK to enable game developers to connect players between iOS, Android, and Switch in addition to Xbox and any game in the Microsoft Store on Windows PCs."

You can already sign-in to your Xbox Live profile on Nintendo Switch and mobile platforms within certain Microsoft games (the cross-platform Minecraft being the most obvious example).

This deeper integration goes way beyond that, though - to tie non-Microsoft games on non-Microsoft platforms into Xbox Live as well. So, for example, if you're playing Warframe on Nintendo Switch, you could earn Xbox achievements. Or if you're playing Fortnite on mobile, you could browse your Xbox friend list to find people to play with.

(Sony's refusal to allow Xbox Live sign-ins within Minecraft - and therefore support for the game's cross-platform version - means it's unsurprising there's no sign of PlayStation here.)

It's a hugely ambitious play from Microsoft - and it all remains to be seen how it will work. Perhaps the mobile version will work via the Xbox app, updated to function like GameCentre on iOS which tracks when you begin playing games?

Guess I might go and check if my Xbox Live account still exists.

5 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

yeah, I'm not really seeing the point of it either. I'm sure there's a reason for them doing it, but unless they're going to start publishing stuff on those platforms I don't get what purpose it serves, to them or us?

So, for example, if you're playing Warframe on Nintendo Switch, you could earn Xbox achievements. Or if you're playing Fortnite on mobile, you could browse your Xbox friend list to find people to play with.

Well with the Switch for example, since it doesn't have much in terms of features on the device itself I think potentially having XBL on the device could be a good substitute.  It's all maybes since we don't know the details but potentially you could connect with other Switch users through it.  It's just another good step towards a fully cross-play future if it gets used enough.  If MS do enough to make it worthwhile they could gain more Gold subscribers from people who don't even have an Xbox.

It may even inspire Nintendo to get more competitive on their own device if more people are using it over their own.

5 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

Well with the Switch for example, since it doesn't have much in terms of features on the device itself I think potentially having XBL on the device could be a good substitute.  It's all maybes since we don't know the details but potentially you could connect with other Switch users through it.  It's just another good step towards a fully cross-play future if it gets used enough.  If MS do enough to make it worthwhile they could gain more Gold subscribers from people who don't even have an Xbox.

It may even inspire Nintendo to get more competitive on their own device if more people are using it over their own.

can you even have cross functionality across apps on the Switch?

Like you said, we'll see eventually, it just seems like one of those things that sounds like a big deal but never lives up to it.

This is a bit out there, but thinking the next consoles will possibly be a joint offering from Xbox and Nintendo, neither want to lose money and tbh the market share would definitely take over ps.

The Xbox is too much like a pc, while the switch is out there different, Nintendo have the crazy ideas, Microsoft can bsck it up with years of software development and the OS would be loads better than Nintendo’s offering.

The next gen could be very interesting...

I really can’t see at all why Ninty and Microsoft would be collaborating on consoles in the future. Doesn’t make any sense to me why Nintendo would be so buddy buddy with a competitor.

I think this XBL news is cool though but it’ll just be an XBL app on the eShop that you can log into on your Switch, with some games like Minecraft using it for achievements etc.

Can you imagine how much nicer and level matches in games like Overwatch and Siege would be if PS4 and XO were lumped in? I should imagine you're less likely to have people give up playing as well if they have a bad night matchmaking against strong teams since the gap shouldn't be as wide.

Be a boon to the fighting game community as well. There are no losers.