passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Cross-Console Play News

HandsomeDead

I wasn't sure where to put this so I thought maybe a thread is worth starting?  Especially since it may be a thing for the next few years before its standard.

Anyway, we know Fortnite currently has all platform holders on board and there are a number of games that cross in some way with certain platforms but I'm sure more will come.

First up:  Blizzard Wants Diablo 3 to be Cross-Play

Yet another huge game from a major game developer is going to let players across competing game platforms play together.

That game is “Diablo 3,” and it arrives on the Nintendo Switch on November 2.

That’s the seventh platform that “Diablo 3” will be available on, in addition to Mac, PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. And seven different platforms means seven different player bases, all playing “Diablo 3” in isolation. Why can’t they all just play together?

“It’s a question of when, not if,” a Blizzard Entertainment representative told Business Insider during a gameplay demo of “Diablo 3” on Nintendo Switch this week.

Though there’s nothing official to announce just yet, the folks behind “Diablo 3” are actively working with partners at Sony and Microsoft to enable cross-console play with “Diablo 3” on Switch.

With Blizzard getting the ball rolling I hope this will set a big precedent.  Could Overwatch be next?  A standard for Activision as a whole?

Or Maybe Diablo 3 Won't Be Cross-Play

Statement from Blizzard:

While we love the idea of bringing our players together across platforms, we do not have any plans to implement cross-platform gameplay for Diablo at this time.

I guess some Blizzard rep is gonna get the back of their hand slapped.  On the other hand Blizzard were playing the marketing game with the Switch port itself so I do think it's still not outside the realm of possibility.

I don't know first hand.  I thought it was "in beta" the last I heard.  I don't know if it's open or not. 

I don't think cross-play on its own is hard.  I think it's everything else around it like purchases and where the money goes with merged accounts.  I don't know how relevant it'd be but what if someone bought most of their MTXs on XO but mostly played on PS4? 

I guess not having full communication with those on other platforms is another issue, especially when they spend so much time building these closed networks. 

But there just needs to be a shift in priority.  I think better ingame networks need to be made as it maybe up to developers to not wall off their communities, but they do seem to be up for it. 

Well games already keep patches synced up with games already.  Rocket League and even Paladins has Switch x XO.  I know some games don't patch at the same rate but if you have a cross-play game it should just be a done thing. 

I really think it's just a money thing.  But I don't know why they are so bothered about their cut when the others are willing to chance it.  MS and Nintendo aren't stupid or charitable when it comes to money. 

9 hours ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

Fortnite isn’t actually crossplay yet right? I think Sony are making it out to take a lot of work and planning to justify their shittyness. 

You could always crossplay between PC and iOS with the PS4 version. It's just from September 28th you can play with Switch and Xbox owners too, I believe it's technically an 'open beta' but that's just covering their asses instead some functionality isn't there initially.

• 1 month later...

Cross Progression Coming to SMITE and Paladins in 2019

Hi-Rez Studios has revealed that both Paladins and SMITE are set to receive cross-play and cross-progression across Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and PC.

These features are set to be introduced via major updates for each game in January next year; cross-play allows users to play with or against each other regardless of platform, and cross-progression allows you to pick up where you left off on a different system.

The studio has released a full FAQ to answer any and all questions you might have about the updates, but we've included some highlights for you below:

- Cross-play and cross-progression will go live with the 2.01 update for Paladins, and the 6.1 update for SMITE. Both of these updates are currently scheduled to release in mid-to-late January 2019.

- For cross-play platforms, there will be a global, cross-platform leaderboard. As players will be able to move freely from across platforms and input methods on a single account, all players will be tracked on the same leaderboard regardless of their main platform or control scheme.

- Cross-play will be supported across PC launcher, PC and Mac Steam, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. We are technically ready to support cross-play on other platforms as the opportunity arises.

- By default, casual matchmaking will find the best matches for players regardless of platform or input method.

- SMITE and Paladins players can choose to play only against players with the same input method (either keyboard and mouse, or controller) in casual matches. However, players will find higher quality matches, more quickly, by leaving cross-input matchmaking enabled.

- By linking your separate platform accounts to a Hi-Rez Account, you will effectively have one account across PC launcher, PC and Mac Steam, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

The talk of being "ready to support cross-play on other platforms as the opportunity arises" is an interesting statement, seemingly suggesting that PS4 cross-play is ready to go but has once again been blocked by Sony. If you'll be playing these titles on Switch, though, at least you'll be able to connect with friends on the other devices listed.

Only the little ones doing it again but I guess it speaks volumes that the Fortnite "beta" is still the only game to be allowed to go cross all platforms.

Paladins already has cross-play with XO/Switch but now they've added PC.  I'm not sure about this; they say you can exclude those using a M&K but I surely that would be an easy thing to circumvent if someone was so inclined?  I guess we'll see.

The big change though is cross progression is going to be added so you can take your progress with you on the go which is really cool.  I really hope this pays off for them because I would love to see this as standard.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is why I was down on the initial news. The more popular Sony is the more they fuck around without having any idea about the community. That’s why after ps2 they assumed they could do whatever. And couldn’t. Then PS4 is strong and most popular so back to naive stupidity.