passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

Random question but I wonder what people think is the best looking current gen game now

I'm thinking the first level of Demon's Souls is beyond anything I've seen on PC so far, even without RT but DS doesn't have dynamic lighting so it can afford to look really good and run really well.

Been a bit underwhelmed by Ratchet in comparison, Demon's is on another level to that game visually speaking. 

Is Microsoft Flight Simulator cheating? It's not something I'd ever play but looking at footage and stills that thing looks ridiculous.

Also Forza Horizon 5, it's not out yet but if the game is what the trailers show that game will look incredible.

It's definitely a pretty slim list for me, I think Flight Sim is on it but it depends on all the dynamic factors that game has going on. I was very struck by the first time I played it and had my plane fly through rain clouds above London while it was actually raining in London for real.

Control probably has the best application of RT besides Cyberpunk and Metro and maybe one of the few which really use reflections in an enchancing way.

The key games for me that have next gen graphics are Demon’a Souls, Ratchet and to a lesser extent Returnal. Demon’s Souls and Ratchet are show pieces. I think Ratchet is better looking than DS. DS has amazing fidelity and detail. Ratchet kind of has it all. Fidelity + animations, Art, Big spaces, set pieces, etc. And it looks the way it does all the time. It’s cliche buzz words I know but genuine there are moments and places in Ratchet that made my jaw drop. Even in a room by myself I was letting out wows. Incredible stuff.

Returnal is super high quality too, but not quite the same standard as the other 2 games. I presume because it’s a smaller team not used to working at such a big scale and the game is way denser, faster and has more effects going on than the other games do.

The 3rd area in Returnal is quite the location, though. Alien horror + cyber punk grunge + robot city apocalypse area. Super unique in terms of theme and style but then matched with what the PS5 can do. It’s really something. 

The ones ive been impressed by are flight sim, In the right places it looks insane, but fly too low and it doesnt always hold up. Similar for cyberpunk, in places it looks next gen to me, but doesnt always hold up, feel like my pc was holding it back a bit.

We're actually going away for a week tomorrow so I've busted this baby out of retirement...

20210916_073144.jpg

It's probably been over two years since I last used the thing, It'll most likely get used for Resi 2&3 if it gets used at all but it's nice to see it still works and it hasn't got bulging battery syndrome yet.

As ugly as their home consoles have been, Sony really nailed it with the Vita design. That system could have come out yesterday. Even looks more modern than the Steam Deck for example.

A shame I never appreciated it for what it is because I refused to play along Sony's SD card pricing model and at some point was so tired of deleting and re-downloading games that I just stopped using the system altogether (the whole wave of (limited) retail releases came after that).