passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

It has always been a mild annoyance for me too. Why advertise 80GB, for example, if you can only ever access 76GB? Why not give the advertised 80GB, meanwhile in reality, there is 84GB. But the extra is allocated elsewhere. 

Well this in particular is aimed towards under-18 people.

This will probably have the opposite effect of what they desired anyway, I can imagine teens now trying to squeeze as much gaming time out of their week days because they won't be able to on weekends, which in turn might harm their productivity for school etc.

Oh well, it's China.

50 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

This will probably have the opposite effect of what they desired anyway, I can imagine teens now trying to squeeze as much gaming time out of their week days because they won't be able to on weekends, which in turn might harm their productivity for school etc

Doesn't it mean they can only play during those times?... so three hours a week mostly.

I just pulled this from the Eurogamer article following on from above

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-08-31-china-cuts-online-gaming-for-under-18s-to-just-an-hour-per-day

Children in China will only be able to play online games for three hours in a typical week - an hour a day on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, between 8pm and 9pm.

This lone gaming hour will also be allowed on public holidays, The National Press and Publication Administration announced (thanks, BBC News).

These new curbs are the latest steps in the Chinese state's battle against online gaming, which has been dubbed "spiritual opium" for the country's youth.

Online gaming companies will have to enforce these time limits within their games, and inspections of developers by the Chinese government will be stepped up.

Previous rules had let under 18's play online games for 90 minutes each day of the week (down from three hours per day before that), with up to three hours on holidays.

The Chinese government has enforced these limits by using real-name identification to log and track the online gaming habits of children, backed up by a police database.

In July, Tencent launched facial recognition technology which could determine exactly who was playing, to stop children logging in using their parents' IDs.

"Anyone who refuses or fails the face verification will be treated as a minor," Tencent said, "and as outlined in the anti-addiction supervision of Tencent's game health system, and kicked offline."

Fucking hell. Think of all the twats that talk about freedom's being stripped because they have to wear a mask or think the country is trying to chip them. They have no idea what real tyranny is. 

Why? Those games are still totally playable today.  They're so well done.  I get wanting more games like it but why reboots? They haven't been overtaken.

Lara is for the people (I don't care about Batman, he goes where the money is) but she is going where people are at the best of their ability.

Be real and dial it back.  The PS5 will not give a better Tomb Raider experience, except a better frame rate

Why not a fresh take on Batman rather than Arkham in particular

I never got on with that rhythmic 'press counter' combat system, really one of those trends I'm glad has outlived its welcome now, even the Spidey version gets a bit tedious but Insomniac knew well enough to actually give some cool mobility options there (as they had to, naturally)

10 hours ago, Maf said:

rebooting the Arkham games

8 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Why not a fresh take on Batman

Gotham Knights is coming next year which seems to looking to find a middle ground between the Arkham games and something new and a bit different.

Tomb Raider absolutely needs to come back IMO, if only for the single reason that there's straight up nothing else like it on the market anymore. Both the classic stage-by-stage action-adventure or the reboot with more open progression and Metroid elements are dead genres in the 3D space. I hope SE learned their lesson with Avengers and sees that a) not everything needs to be GAAS and b) Crystal Dynamics is best at doing well-designed single-player adventures. It doesn't technically have to be Lara (I'd totally be okay with a new Soul Reaver, too) but I would very much welcome it. Shadow was by no means a bad game but it was a step back from Rise and therefore fell a bit short of being a satisfying conclusion to the reboot trilogy. 

8 hours ago, HandsomeDead said:

Why? Those games are still totally playable today.  They're so well done.  I get wanting more games like it but why reboots? They haven't been overtaken.

Lara is for the people (I don't care about Batman, he goes where the money is) but she is going where people are at the best of their ability.

Be real and dial it back.  The PS5 will not give a better Tomb Raider experience, except a better frame rate

Because apart from the last Tomb Raider game which I didn't like very much, I rinsed the rest of those series. Played them to death. I could play more/newer versions of these games. 

Also like that Dead Space images the other day look at the difference between what they can do last gen and this gen. It wouldn't just be frame rate. I want to see Batman and Gotham with that tech. 

I know that Arkham Knights game is coming out. I'm not 100% clear or sold on what it is yet. The previous style I know. 

Or a fresh take on Batman, sure, but also if they said here's Arkham 5 I'd be excited. 

Honestly I just don't get the idea of rebooting Dead Space in particular. I know it's an unpopular opinion but on that stream when they were like 'Dead Space is the perfect game and we want to be faithful to that original vision'. It's been 13 years and my memory was it was far from perfect and overstayed its welcome and struggled to really get mileage out of its very interesting gimmicks. I use 'gimmick' in a non critical sense there, I do think the limb shooting, diegetic HUD and gravity/psychic mechanics are cool but they didn't go far enough with them.

It just seemed like a very cool idea that was far too flawed for me to understand where it gained this classic status it now has. I bet the sequel is a lot better but I couldn't get my impressions of the original out of my head to stick with it when I tried it recently. It was just that jarring at the time.

I actually think Dead Space would have been a better candidate for a reboot that was a huge departure from that first effort, to the point that you wouldn't just put two images of the old and new game and say 'spot the difference' cause they would already be too different. Also what they're going for with that reboot/remake/whatever it is just looks to be the same experience with proper black levels and higher contrast in its lighting

I think we could do a lot better with this gen, in particular you only need to look at Resident Evil for an extremely successful case study in how to go back and rehash your back catalogue for remakes and make that actually feel cool and exciting

1 hour ago, HandsomeDead said:

I'm was just confused at the term 'reboot'.  Would a fourth game in the current Tomb Raider series not be sufficient?

I think you can’t really put out a ‘Tomb Raider 4: Something of the Tomb Raider’ because that leg of the series is done/dead. The story is finished, the last one was extremely mediocre,

it’s been 4/5 years.

The fact that the last game’s 2 big ideas was Lara can put mud on her which was never useful and this time there are two climbing axes. Wow.

Tomb Raider seems pretty dead and needs another reboot. Even if the game play is similar. Let’s gets a new Lara, new Story, new hook, and explore some Tombs.

Batman is in a similar boat. Yeah Arkham Knights is coming out. But without Batman as the main character, a focus on multi player, focus on the secondary characters, the different but not too different kind of art style. Feels more like a spin-off on a franchise that is over. 

I think start it again. Even if the gameplay is similar to the Arkham games let’s get a new infusion of energy in to the series by making a new actual main Batman game. 

I thought it had already been said that the next Tomb Raider would somehow merge the old style games in to this timeline somehow... no idea where I read that though. I'd happily take some modern console version of the last trilogy as it's one of the best action series in recent times.

Batman would have to revert back to Asylum as that's easily still the best of that series... although I never played Origins and that apparently has an unfair reputation.

16 hours ago, Maf said:

I know I should be a smart gamer and want new shit but I also wouldn’t mind them rebooting the Arkham games or Tomb Raider sometime soon. I want to see Batman and Lara on PS5.

I'd take a new Tomb Raider, Arkham is being rebooted as Gotham Knights next year. Although the Rocksteady team are working on their Suicide Squad game.