passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

Grandpa gamer rant: So, remember when you just put a new disc/cartridge into a console and, after a short loading sequence, you could play the game? Good times, good times...:fist:

Anyway, after a "copying" sequence that ate into my playtime, I finally got around to opening one of my new games. I decided on Returnal. Only played an hour, yet I really enjoyed it. Not entirely sure I saved ..but, whatever. I'll have more to say about it when I get to play it again but it feels like a cross between Metroid and Another World. Very much like a spiritual successor to the latter. 

4 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

Sometimes it's better to use Google and tag MFGamers. This is occasionally better than the on site search bars, except it won't work for hidden folders.

yeah the search is dogshit with Invision. I find if you limit it to titles only and specify which folder you want to be in that works better, or just use Google.

1 hour ago, Nag said:

I know... just saying a return to third person doesn't mean a return to the games, there's two brilliant one's he could be playing right now.?‍♂️

On 06/05/2021 at 20:59, OCH said:

This game is so much fun! While it was nice playing DeS and MediEvil again, respectively. Remakes never scratch that itch of playing a really good new game.

I was giving this some thought not too long ago. Why is it, I just kept a stack of unopened games on the shelf, until Returnal came out and I decided to play one. I think, for all the modern graphical flourish, remakes actually put me off playing. As fun as it was to go back to DeS and MediEvil. What I was most looking forward to in the former, was to finally be able to play the Sixth Archstone/The Northern Limit. By the same token, halfway through playing MediEvil, I was really hoping to play a remake of MediEvil 2 aka the game I didn't get to play, back in the day. The main draw for both was the promise of a new experience. Not the game itself.

Demon's Souls is a great game. But, I felt that when I first played the original. I didn't feel anywhere near that excitement playing the remake. 'Oh, that's it then?' was the overriding impression I was left with.  

REmake 2 & 3 may be good. But, I think I'm done with remakes.

In contrast, I'm really enjoying Returnal and actively looking forward to playing the other games I've got now, after it is finished.

Disclaimer: I've seen through all three of those examples. 

Asura's Wrath. One of my top 10 favourite games of all time. Story, aesthetic, characters. Those elements ticked all the right boxes for me. Gameplay is.. virtually non-existent. Which is my point. Gameplay is a lot lower on my list of priorities than the above. It doesn't matter how good the gameplay is for FF7R, for example. The rest of the package rubbed me the wrong way.

RE 2, personally, I have no real affinity to. So I'm not overly fussed to return to it. In truth, my least favourite of the first four games.

RE 3 was my favourite of the original trilogy and I already know that the core mechanic of the game. What made it distinct, beyond Nemesis, was cut. Also didn't like that Nemesis was less of a constant threat and more of a static series of set pieces. 

I just spent the last couple hours listening to a 'static' I bumped into in FFXIV have a big tiff on discord and get really angry at each other and man I kinda get Och's whole 'fuck online gaming with other ppl' thing. The whole thing was even livestreamed on twitch for extra awkwardness 

It's not my static, tbh I don't even really have one. But the friction that this type of gaming brings with other people makes me wonder why I play it. I need some different experiences for a while. Even thinking of buying one of those stupid CX TVs and getting a PS5 to look at Ratchet or something instead

?‍♂️

When I still had a memory that was worth a damn, I only remember playing multiplayer games with friends/family (in the same room) being fun, positive experiences. If someone got too full of themselves, someone else put them down and restored balance. The couple of times I've tried online gaming, the people have all had the same flavour: Hostile, confrontational, gate-keeping - Crazy.

So I choose not to engage. I didn't just decide it wasn't for me without trying it first.

One thing that sort of "saved" multiplayer with randoms for me, even though I don't play too many of these games, is disabling communications with people why aren't on my friends list. That way the usual "you suck", "your character is cheap", "I hope your family dies of cancer" and other lovely forms of approval just disappear.

Of course in an MMO that's not really an options since communication is integral to the experience. Dwarf should just play some small feelgood indie games for a while, like Sayonara Wild Hearts, Super Crush KO or A Short Hike.

You need the communication in an MMO, to align raid buffs/not waste resources so it's not really an option. Anyway I wasn't the recipient of said saltiness, I was actually carrying super hard. But I'm grown a bit weary about how games like this can bring out the worst in some people and how they can treat each other over mistakes and failures. The issue is trying to find a group which is (A) personable enough to get along with, (B) patient without being too permissive about slow progress and (C) also good at the game and willing to learn from mistakes and failures, this is the true endgame of games like this. If you can't find these groups you await unending friction with lots of different (mostly not good) personalities. Or you end up with groups that are way too casual about completing stuff and can't figure out what is needed to improve, which is also a draining experience. 

The cliche with high end raiding in MMO is the longer you wait to do the tier the more likely you will have these kinds of experiences. This is an MMO post out of the MMO containment echo chamber I guess but mainly the point is less about the game I think and more about the way people can become from them. I think this is also why I have zero patience for something like Hades cause it's similarly draining to me in a different kind of way. I actually got really good at that game (imo anyway, I got a 16 heat clear without any cheating) but it always stressed me. I found Pathologic a really great break from these kinds of games cause while they could be stressful they were so n a really engaging way, but I haven't found anything remotely like that since. That kind of deep and thoughtful immersive sim stuff is what I really crave more than an indie because I love anything which is extremely systemic like that

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

That kind of deep and thoughtful immersive sim stuff is what I really crave more than an indie because I love anything which is extremely systemic like that

Like Ratchet?

6 hours ago, OCH said:

The couple of times I've tried online gaming, the people have all had the same flavour: Hostile, confrontational, gate-keeping - Crazy.

Just play with people you know, you might get somebody lose their temper occasionally, but it's miles better, The friendships will be the thing you log in for eventually. The games are just a bonus.

2 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

This is an MMO post out of the MMO containment echo chamber I guess but mainly the point is less about the game I think and more about the way people can become from them.

The weird thing about this is when people see others have success it turns into "You must have this equipment!" or whatever. I remember loads of times where if you didn't have Icebreaker, Gjallarhorn, Iceheart set, Warlord or whatever was considered 'essentials' for beating high ranked content you might as well not bother because it was fucking impossible to get anywhere without these things in the eyes of the community. Ain't nobody got time for this, especially when it comes to getting perfect rolls on top of the equipment itself.

It's probably very different in ESO, but actually the equipment treadmill in XIV isn't so bad. You can beat the entire 'tier' in crafted equipment (but you need to be really good) so you can ask someone to make that for you, buy it on the marketboard of craft it yourself. Then the higher grade 'savage' raid tier drops or the stuff you grind for is there to give you an extra leg up. It's technically considered over-gearing for content at that point, though that still means you should get it but not that it's min requirement

It's one of the aspects which really pisses off WoW people and I suppose ESO people where loot progression is likely a much bigger deal. But I really quite like not having to worry so much about stuff like that beyond making sure my substats make sense (which for me on healer means putting most of my points in damage boosting, cause healing in XIV is actually about doing as little healing as you can get away with and coordinating heal resources with your co-healer).

ESO's loot is zone based and a lot of the best stuff is not that hard to get, or rather an exceptional set up is not that hard to get. There are bits that are super hard to get, but I've seen people do great stuff without the end game shit.

Really it tends to be the whole "You need to be able to do x amount of damage" in ESO. I just had a look at it's 70k+ which isn't to be sniffed at, but this can be attained by food buffs and really nice rotations. with some help from Champion Points.

The perfected weapons give you and edge, but they're ridiculous to get.

Pretty much the authority walks you through it, it doesn't look like much, but it's really fucking hard.

19 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

Just play with people you know, you might get somebody lose their temper occasionally, but it's miles better, The friendships will be the thing you log in for eventually. The games are just a bonus.

Funny thing is, the main reason I have given up on it completely, I'm the last gamer among those I know. All the gamer friends we had from the SNES days, petered out with the end of the PS2 era. None of the friends I've made in the last ten years or so, even own a console. Which is why I primarily stick to single player games.

Although my brother has an X-box, he rarely uses it. Although he does have Football Manager, which he got my cousin and uncle into.

CD Project reminded me that Witcher 2 is 10 years old now (what the hell?) which is, give or take a year, the same amount of time that passed between the releases of A Link to the Past and Wind Waker.

It's really astonishing just how quickly games evolved in the 90's and early 2000's and how little has changed since the PS360 generation in comparison.