passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

Looking at Silent Hill 2 mentioned up above, I'm wondering WRT how we are adjusting how we talk about FFVII now that it is getting a remake what people think in general of how remakes shift our discourse around 'spoiling' games?

I'm not looking to start an argument over 'grrr I should be allowed to spoil FFVII as much as I want' and as asked I'm not going to drop big spoilers. But as nostalgia is trending so much now and everything old is new again is going to have a stultifying effect on games criticism/debate after a while. Yes this is a very precious issue of me to raise as all forums have spoiler tags and really it isn't a big deal at all. But there is some pretty powerful stuff in that game that makes it such a big deal for people. Some of this stuff won't be remade for another 10 years probably.

It's accepted mostly now that someone can spoil the big secret to Silent Hill 2 and how the town reflects James psyche. But if this also gets a remake one day (which honestly I think is likely) then its going to create this similar sort of barrier around it as a piece of art. I don't really think it's a good thing tbh. I think moratoriums on spoilers should have an expiry date and that's that.

Again not trying to start an emotional argument here but it's something I've thought about before. 

don't take this as the official response or anything, but I think it depends on why and where you're talking about it. someone openly talking about, say, Crysis 2 and 3, who gives a fuck. I love those games but the plot is horrendous, and I'd presume no one is coming to them new, any talk is on the assumption the other person doesn't care enough to play them.

Spec Ops, people also probably aren't likely to play, but the story is such a key part of that I'd put it in spoilers, even though that too isn't ever getting remade

resident Evil 2 (or 3 now) and Final Fantasy, there's renewed interest, it's feasible someone is coming to that eager to experience it for the first time. The problem is if we've openly talked about something that then gets a remake at a later date, I guess that's just unfortunate

Basically, if someone told me they were going to watch Citizen Kane for the first time, I wouldn't blurt out the ending, but in day to day conversation I might reference it or something

I pretty much feel the same as Dwarf on this.  When it comes to talking about the FF7 remake in this case I've just not been getting involved to avoid grief because of spoilers so it does stifle the conversation, and if you want to remain pure for when you play it then my advice would be to just avoid pre-release stuff and threads talking about it.  It's what I personally do. 

I dunno how others feel about it but maybe having two threads would work.  One for those coming in new and one for those who want to indulge in what a change may mean for the rest of the game and its incoming chapters.  There is something changed in the demo that I think is interesting but how to phrase it and apply spoiler tags correctly (and what the writer and reader considers a spoiler is another subjective thing) just makes me not want to bother. 

To me when it comes to spoilers just don't be a dick and allude or directly reference to something in a thread title and don't @ someone in the dark about a game with a juicy reveal to something if they are thinking aloud about on a forum.  Stuff like that is out of order.  But there is an onus on the one who wants to remain in the dark too. 

Some games there is a lot to unpack. Take Silent Hill 2 as an example. On the one hand you can tell someone how to find to Iron Pipe, the upgraded melee weapon which most people miss on their first playthrough. Or That Twist. One that, to tell someone New to the game, would completely alter the experience. Deeper down the well, is discussion into the themes behind the game, the monsters and the multiple endings.

EG When I first played Silent Hill 1, unknown to myself at the time, I got what is considered "the bad ending". As it was the early, early days of the internet, I didn't know any better and simply thought that was it. This was completely invalidated by subsequent sequels. But I discovered that on my own.

A knowing reference or name drop isn't the end of the world. Some are a bit too sensitive on such things, in the age where mostly nothing is kept a surprise anymore. However, the devil is in the details. That's when in my eyes it becomes spoilers and ruinous to someone else's experience.

BTW I'm just going to do a quick call out to the excellent Eurogamer LP of the original FFVII, if people are curious about that game but without the patience to put up with its oldness (which I wouldn't blame you for)

They are at the end now, doing sidequests. It's very good. They called Vincent 'Hot Topib', that's how you know it is a good LP.

Currently watching 2 German guys try beat Golden Axe 2 in co-op. This is their 3rd attempt and they have dropped it to easy and maxed all credits, life and magic meters for help. Confirming my suspicion that all these scrolling beat ‘em up games are bullshit.

16 hours ago, Nag said:

Fang is cool... not Lightning.

IMG_202d53ad-1f64-4797-85ed-51317e026836.png

And she has an awesome voice actress...

That's right! I did remember there was one good character in XIII, but I couldn't remember which until now.

I've actually considered giving FFXIII another shot after playing the FFVII Remake Demo. I kind of hated it when t came out because the dialogue and story and most characters were awful but maybe if I just laugh at all this stuff and enjoy the battles I can have fun with it?

I think it's worth a shot, hopefully they put it on sale at some point on the Xbox.

1 hour ago, Maryokutai said:

I've actually considered giving FFXIII another shot after playing the FFVII Remake Demo. I kind of hated it when t came out because the dialogue and story and most characters were awful but maybe if I just laugh at all this stuff and enjoy the battles I can have fun with it?

I think it's worth a shot, hopefully they put it on sale at some point on the Xbox.

I think of FFXIII a lot like the first Assassin's Creed. There's a great game there undermined by how it's all put together.

The worst thing about it was how you had two party members for most of the game until chapter 10, I think. Then it actually turned into a proper video game with the Barthandelus fight and it's unfortunate that it couldn't just let loose like that earlier.

I've wondered about XIII-2 but it runs epically awful on PC and Lightning Returns just looks very weird. The combat seems like something I might like though.

1 hour ago, Maf said:

I don’t know why battle royals give me so much fear. All week I’ve been hovering my cursor over Apex but I always get too scared to click on it. 

I think it being teams doesn't help. When you're learning the ropes on your own who cares, but there's extra stress when you have people relying on you

3 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I've wondered about XIII-2 but it runs epically awful on PC and Lightning Returns just looks very weird. The combat seems like something I might like though.

Gong by the demo I really liked Lightning Returns' battle system. It almost felt like a fighting game in some moments with split-second blocks and parries and all that. I absolutely hated everything else I read about the full game though (time limits, rewinding time etc.). It's supposedly not as annoying as it sounds but then again I'd rather play something that doesn't sound annoying on paper either.

Apparently y’all (@blakey) are slacking and not reporting the actual most vital bit of gaming news this week

My face will only be as happy as that face when I have that face in front of my unhappy face

In our time of weird scary bullshit I have been trying to find some games to distract myself. 

I'm thinking a big RPG like Divinity Original Sin 2 will be a good quarantine game. After I finally finish Disco Elysium. Also a lot of FFXIV because I can actually talk to people on it, important to keep some sort of social contact to avoid going completely feral.