Sly Reflex

Gaming Shout Thread

This is a really good postmortem into what went wrong with Haze (and by extension Free Radical)

At least I found it interesting anyway. The team apparently begged for extensions and only got given them with the expectation that they would implement new features. Which isn't a good reason to delay a struggling game lol.

It was interesting in that it didn't really paint a pretty picture of UbiSoft. The rest of the story is rather well documented. I'm still a bit sad they had to go this way, it's not unlike how Silicon Knights disappeared though that was more of an internal than an external factor contributing to it.

That said, I bought my PS3 for two games originally: Flower and Haze. And I wasn't disappointed with Haze. It was really, really flawed but I had fun playing it and I think its storyline with the drugged soldiers was a good effort, even if it was told in a rather amateurish way.

It's probably borderline impossible to enjoy it by today's standards but I wasn't one of the disappointed Free Radical fans mentioned in the video, even if that doesn't matter much anymore.

I love that series from Matt, I'll watch that one some time over the next couple of days. I also quite enjoyed Haze to be honest. 2006-2009 was a great period for average FPS games with neat ideas. Timeshift, Blacksite, Call of Juarez etc. 

Sidenote, my brother in law had a job interview at Free Radical before Haze was officially announced. He's got this really vibrant, graffiti style to his art and flew all the way from Australia for the interview, thought he would be working on TS3 and then they show him Haze behind closed doors. Fuck.

So I haven’t played games properly in about 4 months. I had a week of sickness in Feb or something and played through Crackdown 3, played Resident Evil 2 for about an hour shortly after, and the rest of the time has just been grinding on Pokemon Let’s Go because it’s a good non-thinking after work game.

So E3 got me super energised to play games again. Even if the show was mostly uneventful just pure excitement of video games got to me. And even though I’m usually a one or two video game at a time kind of person, this week I thought fuck that. I got this time off, no stress going on, instead of feeling paralysed by having so many games to play - let’s just fucking play them. 

Now I played different games for anywhere between about 30 minutes and 5 hours this week, so this is not a definitive verdict or some bullshit forum wannabe review. this is purely ranked as the amount of enjoyment I got out of them myself. Mostly very good. Some not so. But whatever, generally had an amazing video game week and kind of sad it’s over 

D9NazmtXsAAoOhY?format=jpg&name=medium

Summer Games Done Quick starts next Sunday. Didn’t start watching these speedrun events until about two years ago and now I really love these things. The whole week’s schedule is below. Can’t say I’m super familiar with the runners, and I tend to watch them as they come up in my YT feed anyway. Punchy doing Silent Hill 3 should be good. He did a really fun run of Silent Hill 1 (Again below)

I don’t know if a thread exists for speedruns, if not I’ll start one Sunday and post runs I think are cool (And people post the ones they like as well!)

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

@Maf I started one at the start of the year - 

I kinda forgot to use it but it can be bumped with each event. 

According you Twitter Aoife Wilson got married

<sigh>

One more thing in the world to be depressed about 😕

One more name in the world to google...😑

More love is never something to be depressed about Maf. 

I thought she was gay, anyway, so the whole thing was a rollercoaster for me 

More proof gays just can't be trusted. 

29 minutes ago, Bob said:

More proof gays just can't be trusted. 

Especially when in hot tubs.

There's a new fighting game coming out (might be out elsewhere but I've just got an email about it on PC) called Million Arthur: Arcana Blood, and it might have the best plot of any fighting game ever

This smash-hit game series is set in the world of "Britain", home to a million King Arthurs and a million Excaliburs. The Arthurs each strive to become the one true king

I've been watching a Zelda 2 LP (oneyplays). It's a dumb LP but I Zelda II looks super interesting.

It's like an actual RPG. I'm trying to remember now if it was one of the games on the SNES mini cause I kind of want to play some of it.

The Game Grumps Zelda II playthrough is one of my favourite series they've done.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I've been watching a Zelda 2 LP (oneyplays). It's a dumb LP but I Zelda II looks super interesting.

It's like an actual RPG. I'm trying to remember now if it was one of the games on the SNES mini cause I kind of want to play some of it.

It'll probably be on the NES mini. 

Zelda II was my first Zelda and I loved it back then.  Played quite a bit of it on Wii U as well and I still like it a bunch.  It is an interesting game. 

You know what can fuck off? Ghosts N Goblins on the NES. I know it’s no surprise but that games hard as shit. I could get past the second half of the second level today.

On 23/06/2019 at 12:49, DifferentClass said:

It'll probably be on the NES mini. 

Zelda II was my first Zelda and I loved it back then.  Played quite a bit of it on Wii U as well and I still like it a bunch.  It is an interesting game. 

My first owned Zelda was LTTP. We rented Zelda 2 first, but I don't remember ever getting very far (Much like when we rented the masochistic Super Star Wars games).  Many people have decried it as the "Black Sheep" of the series, but I always thought the only issue was the hit box of the Sword was too small.

As for Ghosts N' Goblins, I could never get into it. My brother and I had some of the "hardest" games of the era back in the day (Battletoads, Contra, Castlevania, TMNT, Bucky O' Hare, Captain Planet, Most Capcom platformers etc) but G N' G was always one step beyond me. However,  I took to Maximo many years later, much better.

I just wanted to give a quick shout out to Celesteela, probably my most disliked Pokemon of all time. 

2797-Shiny-Celesteela.png

I absolutely hate the way it looks, when it was first shown it took me ages to work out what I was even looking at, and now I can see it I still don’t know what it is. Is it a bell or a nun or what. 

It somehow has a very bad move pool, really boring typing of Steel/Flying and yet is a complete pain in the ass. The moves it does get are Leech Seed, Protect and Flamethrower, both obnoxious and random, and it’s stats are actually real good so it lives every non super effective hit quite comfortably and if your team doesn’t have the tools is tremendously difficult to KO.

But not only does everybody use it because it’s bullshit but it’s no fun to use because it doesn’t do anything but sit there and be ugly. 

And to top it off it’s not even a Pokemon, really, it’s an “Ultra Beast” (Pokemon from another dimension). 

So boo Celesteela you suck ass muthafucka. You ruin every battle you’re in.