passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

17 hours ago, RikSP said:

Just tried playing Divinity: Original Sin and I don’t like it at all.

I’m absolutely gutted ?

I would say the second game has a much broader appeal for normies. The first one is still very much one of those European RPGs that is packed with a load of stuff you have to overlook to enjoy it, it just got caught up in the hype around the successful Kickstarter. 

High possibility for a random thought with no substance but I was trying to work out the earliest time the term Battle Royale was used. Because I remembered there was a movie called that where a bunch of kids are put on an island and kill each other until there is one left and now there are a selection of Battle Royale games where a bunch of kids virtually put them selves on an island and kill each other until there is one left. I think a frying pan is a key thing in both the film and the game as well. 

Probably this half-assed observation has been done to death but I’ve only just thought of it and am wondering if it’s coincidence. I never really liked that movie because I felt like it was mean for being means sake and just away to express all kinds of awful sentiment without having anything to say. Like kids on the internet(?)

I don’t know what my point is other than if the big popular thing was in some fashion inspired by the movie then that’s kind of upsetting, but also the fact that movie is nauseously fascinating but clearly millions of people love the concept is also upsetting. Even if it’s a few steps removed the connection I’ve just made for myself has turned me around on some of thes game ?

I dunno, I guess I knew the general concept of a battle royale way before the film as I'm sure I've heard / seen it used as a name for elimination games in a number of places.  I just don't tie the term so exclusively to the film. 

I think maf is right though that the games are trying to evoke the film, with the whole murder island thing.

Battle royal (plural battles royal, also royale) traditionally refers to a fight involving many combatants that is fought until only one fighter remains standing. ... Outside of sports, the term "battle royale" has taken on a new meaning in the 21st century, redefined by the 2000 Japanese film Battle Royale.

Screenshot_20190508-093533.png

I love that kind of stuff, so I googled the etymology. It dates back even further than this, but I loved this one. I can't not read those f's literally, and not as 's', and it's always funny.

That's from a 1788 book called Dictionary of The Vulgar Tongue, which amazingly isn't about illdog.

More battle royale games should have perfons engaged in fifty-cuffs.

is the 3DS dead?

As far as I can tell there's only 1 more physical 3DS game due for release, Persona Q 2. There's info on news sites about Shakedown Hawaii and a new Shovel Knight, but presumably they're both digital. Unless the likes of Atlus (now owned by Sega so probably not) decide to keep putting stuff out, and if there's a Yokai Watch I'm forgetting, I can't see there being much, if anything, announced in the next month or so

On that note, those games I've mentioned, the sort of stuff Atlus and Deep Silver put out over here, they really haven't appeared elsewhere as of yet, which is what I was worried would happen. Hopefully we start seeing some of those JRPGs cropping up elsewhere, probably Switch, but the 3DS will leave a hole when it's gone

it also makes me wonder  if the Vita, against all odds, will end up having a longer life of support than the 3DS

This is a pretty interesting interview with Louis Castle about the difficulty in the Lion King game on MD. People think about old games with such rose tinted glasses that it's interesting to hear that even back then there were money men behind the scenes trying to meddle. 

If you can't be bothered watching the video, the basic gist is that videogame rentals were big at the time and Disney found that kids were beating games in the overnight rental period so Westwood Studios had to go back and make the game harder until the tests showed you couldn't get too far into it after 6 hours. This was brought up really late into development though so they just had to dump difficulty spikes wherever they could early into the game.