passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

Anyone else have a bit of a block when it comes to playing games out doors? 

I'm sat in the park enjoying the sun, my kindle is flat so I've taken an analogue kindle with me. I was going to take the Switch, but there's something about playing games in public I hate 

Talking to someone at work about Cuphead the other day (she's had it since launch and tells me frequently it is 'my type' of game) and it got me thinking about adapting this kind of style in other games/genres. The first one that immediately came to mind when thinking of the Fleischer animated style was naturally Superman, the most famous IP attached to the studio.

Would you buy a Superman game in this style?

Do I picked up the 3 months of game pass for £1. Great stuff!

Thought I'd play Lego Star wars with the kids.

Not sure when they brought in the clever split screen thing, but it's not in this game. 

Lots of being dragged off ledges and frustrating camera angles makes for a bit of a tricky experience.

6 hours ago, OCH said:

Talking to someone at work about Cuphead the other day (she's had it since launch and tells me frequently it is 'my type' of game) and it got me thinking about adapting this kind of style in other games/genres. The first one that immediately came to mind when thinking of the Fleischer animated style was naturally Superman, the most famous IP attached to the studio.

Would you buy a Superman game in this style?

I love the idea and that style but what is a Superman game? Had this conversation loads back on GTM and I still not convinced how you do it.

If using this style you could argue that you were also using this Superman so he’s weaker and stuff, but that’s just not what Superman is to people anymore. Imagine selling a Superman game where you can’t fly in it? I don’t want that.

But yes. These cartoons are really silly now but the animation in them is beautiful 

My Superman game would be something along the lines of Star Fox and there is objectives along the route like saving people from burning buildings, cats from trees or whatever then at the end you get to a villain and the combat shifts to something more close combat. 

At the end of the level you get ranked like in Hitman Blood Money with a newspaper that spins towards the screen and is written out in a way that shows how good of a hero you are. 

I'd keep it simple. 

I installed the ray traced version of Quake 2 on my pc today. Ray tracing, for those that don't know, essentially treats light as though it's real, so it bounces off every surface. This means, theoretically, reflections are accurate, and you get lighting looking real rather than a candle lighting up an entire room, even behind objects. The problem is to do this requires a lot of maths, the latest Nvidia cards (RTX) have a core dedicated to doing this, doing this on a traditional card will use the resources of the card. That means even something like Quake 2, which came out while I was at school, will run at 17fps on a GTX1080 if you try to run it at 1080p, I dropped it to 720p and managed to get over 30fps

I'm going to put them in spoilers, but here's a few videos of it working. First up the game without ray tracing turned on. This is the vulkan version of the game, so it has some modern touches (I don't think the window that smashes was as transparent), but you can see the laser beam is a light source, it did this even back in the day but I don't think it casts shadows, so it lights up things but the world doesn't react the way it would to real light. You can also see how lit the hole where the armour is, and how the grunt hidden in an alcove is very visible

Spoiler

next is the same section with ray tracing on. You can see how dark the alcove with the armour is, how the grunt is hidden, and how dark areas can be lit up by the beam

and finally the reflections. These aren't great, you can see that they're accurate, but because the game wasn't built with them in mind the surface of the water isn't transparent at all, so you're basically walking on a mirror (Quake guy has no body). When I find the secret in the water you can see that it looks like the water emits a green glow, but as I leave the area it's clearer that the green is a texture on the walls, , which is how it was faked back in the day.

You can see the silencer I pick up briefly lit by the laser as it travels past it, before going dark because the light is behind it. You can also see the light from the exploding barrels at the end create a slight shadow on the rear of the boxes, where the light created wouldn't hit

So, thanks to this poxy bank holiday, MK 11 is not my hands right now. Yet Story Mode YouTube videos have begun to appear today, and I am bored enough to watch...?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Switch version of Virtua Racing is the best one yet:

I always wanted to play it, never got round to it though. I wanted the MD version but I remember at the time it was supposed to be a poor conversion. And was super expensive compared to other MD games.

I remember renting the MD version a few times.  It looks rough but at the time I was so impressed. But it was the first time I'd seen anything like it because I never saw the arcade version. 

Really want to pick this Switch version up eventually.