passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

I did in the end, thanks. Didn't really want to get them a third game. But I couldn't take the risk of not getting one before Christmas. I got the God of War Ragnarok bundle. Too advanced for my nieces. But my brother will love it...

So today, I turn on my Switch. The first time since I last played Metroid Dread (I wanna say last October?) and I thought, I'll undock it and play it in bed for a change. Except the Joycons weren't working. Not even registering at all. Eventually, I pressed the little reset button on the side and the right/orange side was acknowledged. Nothing from the left/blue side though. Even searching for it, yielded a '?' on the menu? It's not a deal breaker or anything. As I'll just play it docked anyway. But it is strange that one side has just ceased to function???

The strangest part was that the orange side - when it did register - said it had a full battery. Which why the FAQ presumed the blue side couldn't be detected. Surely if they are connected to the screen, inside the dock that is always plugged in. They would remain fully charged?🤷‍♂️

I wanted to play a little of both (PokéMon Violet and RE8), before Callisto Protocol arrives. Except now, I've fallen down a bit of a pokémanz sinkhole and sidelined RE8 (which sidelined Tactics Orge and Sekiro, beforehand). Today I got a pre-dispatch alert from ShopTo for Callisto Protocol.

Suddenly I have too many games to play🤯

Coming up to the end of year and some publications are doing their goty thing. Here's one of the more interesting ones. Interesting as in I'm not really familiar with a lot of the stuff on the list and it's got a bit focus on smaller budget and narrative-centric games, so it might make for good reading/gaming over the xmas period

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/best-games-of-2022/

I bought Pentiment the other day, but that is definitely a game that's not for after work gaming. It's all about Bavarian monks and calligraphy and shit, going to give it its due when I take time off. Signalis another one I want to check out (kinda a horror I think, has a thread about it on here)

• 4 weeks later...

That game also ended up on Edge's GOTY list.

10. Bayonetta 3
9. Windjammers 2
8. Gran Turismo 7
7. Poinpy
6. Hardspace: Shipbreaker
5. Roadwarden
4. Neon White
3. Pentiment

And joint first:

Elden Ring and Immortality

I have it, got it in early access, but it was interesting enough that I wanted to wait until it was complete. Haven't got around to it yet

Roadwarden I got a while back as well, it's a kind of text based adventure thing with a CYOA vibe and monochrome visuals. Not got far into it to say much about it tho

• 5 weeks later...

I'm Torn

Goldeneye (N64) is out on Switch (and X-Box) this week. On the one hand, it would be nice to play it again after roughly 20+ years. Although my FPS-related headaches would likely return. Then again, to do so on Switch would mean setting up the online thing again. Which I don't really want to do? I am certainly very rusty, but I don't recall 100% completion taking that long. I definitely wouldn't play the multiplayer online, either. As it wouldn't, and will never be, the same as four players in the same room.

I just don't know🤷‍♂️

Oh and as an aside, from what I've read. The Switch release has online multiplayer and the X-Box one doesn't?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been gaming lately

Had a catch-up with my brother recently, who was grinning from ear to ear about the new game he's got. He tells me it is FF7R. He notices my stoic response doesn't mirror his own. 

'Thought so. I knew you wouldn't like it. Given you don't like real time fighting in RPG's and your whole "creative integrity" thing against reimaging stories. Oh well. Something like this was never aimed at you anyway. So What have you been playing lately?'

'Shining Force 2 on Switch. Needed something good to get me back into gaming.'

'Nice. A 16-bit 90's SRPG on that shiny, modern TV of yours😄'

(For all those that side with my brother's take here. He does also cite Batman V Superman as one of the greatest comic book movies ever made. Even I don't get that one?)