passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

I just saw this Digital Foundry video and I didn't know that this one developer did all these games recently, and they're all cool and don't get talked about a lot.  I know @DANGERMAN has talked about Ninja Warriors and it is on my list to get but I have played Wild Guns; both versions.  The SNES original is on Nintendo Online and when I toyed with PlayStation Now with my free month I played a bit of the recent-ish remake since it was a game you could actually download.  It reminded me a lot of Sin & Punishment so as a bit of a Treasure fan I was there.  And I like Wild Guns quite a bit so I'm more encouraged to try out these other games.

They are really cool remakes.  They have very much continue the look of the originals but with a more modern take on the visuals and also feel a bit tighter and more satisfying to play going by my experience with Wild Guns, as well as having a bit more content that doesn't feel out of place.  This new version of Pocky and Rocky looks cool too and continuing this philosophy towards remaking these deep cut 90s arcade games in an interesting way and I thought it may be worth shouting out since it may be of interest to some people here.  Maybe others knew the link between these games but it passed me by at least. I thought at least maybe @Maf and @Maryokutai would be interested as well as Ben.

I stumbled upon it a couple of months ago and have indeed put it on my mental list to eventually pick up. Didn't realise they put so much work into it though, they definitely nailed the "looks how I remember it" feeling while simultaneously building it in a way that looks significantly better than the original.

Somewhere in this thread I made a post about how disappointing I find the Switch. Basically the short version is it’s barebones, doesn’t have personality like other Nintendo machines and it’s

exclusives are largely subpar.

But ever since October my opinion has changed dramatically. It’s a combination of 3 things. First reevaluation of the games. I now think Mario Odyssey and Pokemon SS are really fantastic games. I don’t take back anything I said about them but I just feel differently about it.

Then backed up by some fantastic new games with Metroid, Arceus and I think there’s something else that I’m forgetting.

Lastly the OLED. It isn’t like the OLED transforms the games. It’s still a Switch with Switch graphics. But I think maybe graphics to me are not as important as presentation. Now Switch games have this sweet spot where not on a small, flat LCD but not blown up for all the warts to see on a 65” screen it’s found the right place to be. OLED is bright, sharp, small

A last bonus reason is playing games in handheld I’ve discovered Switch’s cool factor. Especially with the white Joy Cons and such. Looks cool, feels cool. It is developing personality after all 

So much that I blew upwards of £70 on games on it this week. Because now I just love playing it.

I’m still not going to call it the best Nintendo console. It’s no GameCube, N64, or Wii U (Fuck you, I’m saying it) but it’s not at the bottom of the pile for me anymore. I might say it’s their best handheld

I’m now officially a Switch fan. Loving the console at the minute 

I think as it has been likely eight months, if I want to play it again. I should probably restart Metroid from the beginning. The problem is I haven't really got anything on the horizon to turn me from the PS5 to the Switch. I've got Advance Wars on preorder. But in terms of a new release date for that... 🤷‍♂️

I thought my electric meter was being eaten really quick so after I topped it up today I ran a reasonable test tonight to see how much the video games were costing and the PC eats up 70p of electric per hour and the XSX eats up 40p per hour 😬

So for every 10 hours of video games it’s costing me an extra £7 or £4 

I’ve never tested it before, and obviously prices were going up but I was surprised how much electric I lost in one evening. 

Not much to be done about it, I guess, but man. That’s expensive. 

GTA Online is free until June something on PS and in the description it says the story mode can be bought separately. So I’m downloading that and seeing if it will let me buy the next gen version of story mode. 

Man alive

I was even looking to see if GTA5 gets VRR as it’s an “unsupported game” and still can’t find an answer

(I mean I found 20 minute videos, but I’m just looking for a quick yes or no)

C’mon, PS5/Sony gotta get some of this shit more simple. I might end up getting it on Xbox at this rate because it found it straight away, VRR support guaranteed, and it’s £17 for both single and online.