passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

Think I'm in a bit of a funk at the moment.

Not had much motivation to play the Switch since I finished Arceus, SMTV is good but doesn't really grab me, I cannot be arsed to start another big game in Skyward Sword.

I do kind of enjoy ER but can't shake the feeling I 'should' be enjoying it more than I am. Then I think I've got Horizon 2 to play at some point sitting in its shrink wrap and I just kind of mentally check out. I am excited to get to GT7 though as that'll hopefully be the palette cleanser I'm searching for.

After reading all the BB postings and deciding that actually, Elden Ring is sort of a drag, I started up a STR/ARC playthrough of Bloodborne last night and am in the opposite of a gaming funk. more like some good ol funky gaming

Which is to say, booting up an old fave can be a good idea sometimes.

17 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Think my PS5 might be on its way out. Thought I’d have a go on GT7 for a bit to get those credits and my controller connection is getting worse and worse by the minute. Lag and input readings are getting more common, random disconnects have just started happening and my disc drive is making a horrid grinding noise. I’ve tried loads of methods for fixing found on Google and YouTube and none are working.
Great… 😞

Could just be controller issues, not the disc grinding (not a prob for my digital lol) but the other stuff

I did notice the other night when I started up bloodborne that my second dualsense now also has a stick drift problem. What it actually is is the 'hunter' stops running and walks occasionally, which is consistent with the weirdness I'd noticed before while not being as bad (tho bound to become as bad). So numero three will be here on friday

What I think sony should do here is offer a way to set the deadzone on the controller. The reason is I've been using the same controller for 200 hours of Elden Ring and did not notice the issue, but that was cause I'd had the deadzone set way higher on steam. Then the issue could be gotten around for a while

quoted here to save arguments lol

59 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Could just be controller issues, not the disc grinding (not a prob for my digital lol) but the other stuff

Maybe but it’s only started recently and all the reset, disconnect, re-pair, clear cache etc. stuff hasn’t made the blind bit of difference. Strangely the triggers started responding more on GT7 in a similar way to WRC games intermittently too. I’m tempted to buy another pad to try that but £60 is a lot if that doesn’t solve it. Although cheaper than a PS5 I guess. Going to try a full factory reset I think, see if that does anything. 

At least the disc grind noise isn’t often haha. 

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

I had to speak to them about my controller fairly early. It doesn't sound like the same problem as yours, mine wasn't turning off so would just drain the battery overnight. I ended up having to format the controller 😅

Tell this to someone 20 years ago and they would have laughed you out of the place.

15 hours ago, mfnick said:

Maybe but it’s only started recently and all the reset, disconnect, re-pair, clear cache etc. stuff hasn’t made the blind bit of difference. Strangely the triggers started responding more on GT7 in a similar way to WRC games intermittently too. I’m tempted to buy another pad to try that but £60 is a lot if that doesn’t solve it. Although cheaper than a PS5 I guess. Going to try a full factory reset I think, see if that does anything. 

At least the disc grind noise isn’t often haha. 

Have you plugged any internal drives into it and/or been using rest mode a lot?

Hopefully they've got the launch controller kinks out the system by now, I remember having to replace both my DS4's back in the day (free of charge from PS UK) due to one of the triggers not working and the other the plastic on the thumbsticks peeling off and their replacements I used throughout the entire rest of the generation.

I tried being a millennial and playing Unpacking but it just made me depressed because the game is basically about watching someone's life expand and unfold through their stuff over the years. They get more mementos, pictures, souvenirs. Things that would make you remember friends, people and experiences. They move to different locations every few years, where their homes get bigger and show signs of room mates, college friends and family. They also accumulate just a lot of stuff that you need to find places to put things. Which I think would be easy to make some kind of metaphor out of if you want to reach up your own ass and squeeze the pretentious part, but I'm too fat and old to find it anymore

As someone who has lived in the same flat since they were 13, never been abroad, never even really left the street I live in. Never really experienced anything like this game is trying to remind me of this shit is just mad suicidal. It plays that lo-fi chill music on a loop as well to really massage in the despair

It's also just really annoying and fucks with me on an OCD level.

It's probably not a bad game and I bet the achievements are easy so maybe I go back and play it again at some point and quickly blast through it with a guide, but can't be dealing with this kind of mental abuse on a Friday. That's what the rest of the weekdays are for

I've gained new found respect and wrath for millennials I don't know how you do it and I hate you so much 

Games are about escapism, so for most pretending you own a house and cultivate relationships is a release they'd never get IRL.

It sucks we've come to a point where we have to do this in game because it's realistically unattainable for so many people.

Born between 1981 and 1996? You are a millennial my friend :D 

As for Unpacking (I thought I made a thread, but I can't find it? 🤔). I absolutely loved it throughout, the game play is basic for sure but it's only like 4 hours long, never outstays its welcome, is clever and reflective on life in general but never gets heavy handed with its story beats and making you realise what it's doing. It's about life, ultimately and reflecting on your own life through the characters and their homes in the game.

I will say though at my life experiences are more in common with the characters in the game than with Maf's so maybe that helped? I've been abroad every year since I was a baby, love travelling, lived in 3 different Uni houses/halls, had to move back home, moved in with the missus more recently, moved house with the missus etc. that I perhaps found the moments in the game when you realise whose house it is and thinks like that more poignant. 

Any game that can get me reflecting on life and my own thoughts on my own and others is a big win for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve thought about this before, but seeing this on Twitter reminded me, but is there a game that looks like this?

FR01kUDakAEg7ch?format=jpg&name=large

With a swishy, water colour art style? Video games conquered cell shading with Jet Set and Wind Waker, but they never really went further in that direction (Continuing to do cell shading better, but that same style). I suppose Okami and El Shaddai had it a little bit, but I want more. If I were making a action game like a DMC/Bayonetta, you’d at least be seeing the movement effects looking all water colour like, if not the whole game. It looks so cool

I would like it if video games pushed these art styles further