passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

I had a nightmare last night where I was trying to play my Gameboy Advance but couldn't get past the start menu because you needed a uniquely generated code from Nintendo's website to access it every time you booted it but the system was so old they didn't produce them anymore and then when you clicked on the help link it was a dumb web thing where it opens up a new page in the browser but nothing was there so I went on ebay and found out that if you buy some special wires that were coincidentally coloured like the RGB wires from old consoles I could open the GBA and plug them in the top left hand corner and hack the system to bypass the start screen but I didn't have the right size screwdriver to open it so I was left looking at a Donkey Kong cartridge I couldn't do anything with and then I woke up hungry. 

I think the lesson to be learned from all this is I need better nightmares. 

Series X is even worse off. There's a similar time bomb inside those systems like there was in PS4, plus there's literally only one game for that system that's available on disc (The Medium). Everything else is cross-gen/smart-delivery, hence only the Xbox One version is on the disc. So even if they ever patch out the DRM or hackers find a way to bypass it you're still stuck with a bunch of games that need an online connection to work properly.

It's something I've been thinking a lot about recently in terms of which games to buy and on which platform. I've yet to find a good solution for me personally. Retail Switch games seem the best best for collectors but it's obviously always the worst version of any game.

I don't know who that guy is but he seems like a single-minded idiot who shouldn't have a platform on the web.

Ono's handling of Street Fighter wasn't great but let's not forget that every really bad decision about the series (SFxTekken having on disc DLC, SFV launching unfinished) was made way above his paygrade. And let's also not forget that SFIV, which he championed and internally fought for for years, single-handedly revived the entire genre because you might want to look at the state of fighting games prior to that game and it was basically non existant except for the usual Tekken games and some piss poor Netherrealm stuff (MK vs DCU anyone?). So all those fancy new games people enjoy right now like Strive would most likely not exist if Capcom and Ono hadn't given the 2D fighter a massive boost in 2008. Also keep in mind Capcom wasn't in a good spot in the PS360 era. There was a lot of stuff going wrong internally, they just lost a lot of talent (Mikami, the entire Clover gang) and focusing so much hate on Ono while basically every team was struggling feels really unfair.

This is like hating on Miyamoto for doing Wii music or something. Twitter is such a dumpster.

There's a lot of factors that go into a game.  SFIV did great under Ono but SFV did start doing better after he left and I wouldn't be surprised if he was just used as a fall guy while Capcom was restructuring and SFV would have gone in a similar path if he stayed.

But nuance isn't encouraged on Twitter, that is fair.

• 3 weeks later...

I realised that Call of Duty was out next week and was looking up if people think it's good or not. When I realised it doesn't matter because Forza Horizon 5 is out the same day. Which made me consider how Gamepass affects other game releases.

I wonder if it 1) Increases sales because there's one less big game to 'buy' (As it comes as part of the service) or 2) Hurts other game sales because here's another big game, the same day, you don't need to 'pay' for. 

Basically I wonder what the data is on does a big rival-ish £60 game hurt other £60 game sales, or does it help because it's effectively freed up £60 from someone's budget to buy another game. 

1 hour ago, Maf said:

When I realised it doesn't matter because Forza Horizon 5 is out the same day. 

It's only out the same day if you spend the extra money on the Premium VIP bells and whistles suck you off Edition, the regular edition is out on the 9th November.

46 minutes ago, Maf said:

Ah, ok. But just generally if 2 big games comes out the same day but one is on Gamepass and one is £60 I wonder how they affect each other. 

Yeah I get you, I think it's a case by case thing depending on how 'big' the Game Pass game is and how big the £60 game is. In this scenario I'd say both games are 'big' with sizeable hype trains but CoD will win out as it's CoD whereas Horizon is a racing game, which is a much more niche genre. I still think Horizon will do really well though but not the kind of numbers CoD is capable of.

3 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Premium VIP bells and whistles suck you off Edition,

With a name like that who in their right mind wouldn't pay extra for the game?... I have and I cannot fucking wait till next Friday.🚗🚘

2 hours ago, Nag said:

With a name like that who in their right mind wouldn't pay extra for the game?... I have and I cannot fucking wait till next Friday.🚗🚘

I'm tempted as well to be fair but keep bailing as it's technically 'free' so why am I paying money for it when I should be saving it for the Wedding lol.