passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

Apology accepted...👍

I honestly wasn't having a pop anyway, there's a shoot em up thread, just thinking that the fighting genre might be well served on this forum considering how many people spend time with them is all.🙂

I am really surprised Strive gets bumped constantly. I thought like many fighting games it's be boom and bust over the space of a month.

I don't mind the chat though, it's kind of interesting, that original post DC did about FG's was great. I wish we saw more posts of this quality.

I used to play a lot of fighting games, mostly 32-bit era Capcom and SNK games, a decent amount of Garou, I played a lot of SNK vs Capcom 2 too, all around that era. Bar what I reviewed, the last fighting game I put proper time in to of my own volition was Street Fighter 4, I was alright at that

I don't have the energy for it now unfortunately, certainly not for the dedication to learn the game in the way people have in the GG thread. GG is a series I like, but the copy I bought at launch is still in its shrink wrap. It's really rare I spend proper time with a game nowadays, I always move on to the next thing

I never played fighting games until now but I think it’s because I had no one to play them with. I played Tekken, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter 4, Killer Instinct err…Fighter’s Destiny. But it was always me Vs the computer. Which meant it was either easy to the point of boring or so hard it felt impossible. Final bosses in fighting games is the one time you’re allowed to say “The computer cheated” and you’d be right.

So for me fighting games were turn them on, watch all the special moves (If I could work out how to do them) try arcade mode for a few hours, turn the game off. They just never had appeal. I was never exposed to high level play, or even crap level play with someone else. They are a real dead end kind of video game if you play solo.

The only exception was Smash Bros 1 and 2 which I racked up 100’s of hours in, but because I had friends to play those games with. 

What got me in to fighting games now was a mixture of DBFZ and a Youtuber named DotoDoya. Not only does he play DBFZ, which I was interested in, but he is super funny and positivity is infectious. I watched his videos for about 8 months and kept thinking I should try it. But knowing how bad I am at these games I was put off.

Then they were putting out some DLC characters and one of them was UI Goku. Dragon Ball Super is probably the best TV show I’ve ever watched so seeing UI come to the game was really exciting, and watching Doto play the game made me feel more confident(?)about playing it.

Eventually I grew a pair and had a go. Watching the game for months meant I had reasonable understanding of what I had to do and it just took practice doing it. Which is why I maybe spent 5-10 hours in training mode before fighting anybody.

A few things happened. 1) I was not as bad as I thought I was going to be at the game. 2) The game is easier to play (in terms of controls) than I expected 3) Playing against other people makes these games come alive.

In fact playing these games come alive so much other games have become more boring to me. There’s something about having another person in your game, or actual, real competition in your game, then when going back to single player games, they have an air of deadness about them.

I was watching film critics talk about comedies. And they were saying that a reason a lot of Hollywood comedy feels very stale is because is made in a stale environment. Someone wrote a good joke, but through filming, constant retakes and months of editing by the time the joke makes it to the screen it feels a bit played out. Where as if you are riffing with your friends, even if it doesn’t have the production or money, joking with your friends will always make you laugh harder than laughing at something staged.

In principle fighting games have proven to be the same thing. When you spend time fighting a real person, and driving each other, pushing each other to be better (Or funnier to connect the before analogy) it feels different. It’s more alive. When you go back to single player games and fight the computer. It’s just got an air of deadness about it. It has a feeling of staged and staleness. 

I don’t know if anyone follows that but that’s what I’ve been thinking about.

Not that I don’t enjoy single player, offline games anymore. But nothing I’ve played this year is as electric as Guilty Gear. Even if it makes me whine and whinge. I keep going back to it because it’s so much fucking fun.

Anyway. My fighting game story. And @HandsomeDeadis still leagues better at me at DBFZ. So I don’t know what he means about him not being the fighting game guy. I beat him one time lol. 

I loved playing Fighting games with friends. But equally, always spend hours with the single player options. Learning command lists off by heart, stuff like that. Which I leaned more into. As friends grew up, moved away etc

I tried online play twice. It just wasn't the same. So now a Tekken or Mortal Kombat would be as much a single player experience as Metroid or Castlevania.

Dangermans history with fighting games is much like my own. 32 bit era I loved them, now I just don’t feel I have the energy and time for them. Always moving onto new stuff. Helped I couldn’t buy many games back then so had to pump time into whatever I had.

Have fond memories though. I played them loads in the 32 bit era. Tekken 1-3, Street Fighter Alpha 3 were big at friends houses & I had a Saturn so VF2, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix + I had a 60hz switch & Action replay 4M cart so all those awesome Jap only  Capcom fighters were all in very heavy rotation. 

I started to drop off in the PS2 gen. although I played a lot of Soul Calibur 2, VF4 and MVC 2 (a all time favourite of mine). 

360 gen I did really get into SFIV and got serious about it in a way I never have before, I actually decided to pick a main. Landed on Balrog and actually did pretty well for myself. Not many people used him so didn’t really know how to fight against him and he had great anti air attacks.O especially have fond memories of I finding out during the match countdown you could charge his rising headbutt, as soon as the match started I’d pull that off and 9/10 they’d jump and get slammed with it. Very satisfying. VF5 was also fantastic. 

Since then though I’ve not gotten into any properly. I play Mk10 and 11 a lot but it’s still very casual. I was hoping to get into DB Fighterz but the auto combo thing just did me in. It didn’t feel satisfying to use at all but I could figure out how to play it without so gave up.  

Just a genre I’ve fallen off, like SHMUPs. That’s basically the same. Possibly my favourite genre during the 32 Bit days and part way through the PS2 gen but just don’t play them anymore unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I am really surprised Strive gets bumped constantly. I thought like many fighting games it's be boom and bust over the space of a month.

I don't mind the chat though, it's kind of interesting, that original post DC did about FG's was great. I wish we saw more posts of this quality.

Oof.  Deadnamed.

I've not had access to a laptop for a long time so typing out something like that on my phone / tablet isn't very appealing.  It would probably need updated, I've learned more since then.

But I'm not surprised Strive didn't just come and go.  It was getting pretty hyped up by the FGC as the next main fighting game since SFV and Tekken 7 had been around a while and some new blood was needed.

As for the forum specifically it's what Mary said and I'd also add it's been a place for learning and sharing since Maf and Dwarf are pretty new to this.

11 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

the last fighting game I put proper time in to of my own volition was Street Fighter 4

9 hours ago, mfnick said:

360 gen I did really get into SFIV

It's really frustrating to see how much Capcom messed up SFV's launch and failed to keep all those people that got into SFIV on board.

Don't get me wrong, it's still quick and easy to find matches but I think the last time I played that game with someone I "know" from a forum was last year in March because of quarantine. And the time before that probably shortly after its release in 2016.

14 hours ago, mfnick said:

Dangermans history with fighting games is much like my own. 32 bit era I loved them, now I just don’t feel I have the energy and time for them. Always moving onto new stuff. Helped I couldn’t buy many games back then so had to pump time into whatever I had.

Have fond memories though. I played them loads in the 32 bit era. Tekken 1-3, Street Fighter Alpha 3 were big at friends houses & I had a Saturn so VF2, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix + I had a 60hz switch & Action replay 4M cart so all those awesome Jap only  Capcom fighters were all in very heavy rotation. 

I don't know if you're the same, but I'm far more likely to turn on my Saturn and play Pocket Fighter, Asuka 120%, Vampire Savior, Cyberbots, or the Dreamcast and play Cap vs SNK, KOF, Garou, something like that, than I am one of the countless more recent fighters I've picked up on Steam and Playstation. I think the simpler mechanics, while still needing practice to get good at, there's just less to remember. Nostalgia and getting old I guess

Wanted to put this here instead of B3 news

9 minutes ago, Maf said:

No, that was at the end. I mean in normal gameplay you get to use DT, transform in to a Sparda wannabe and throw shit at people. I think you can use the sword too but I also remember throwing fireballs at people. 

Or I’m wrong. I can’t find any gameplay on the internet because all Google results for Devil Trigger come back with the song 

Either way. I didn’t hate UC it just felt like a generic rage meter that a lot of these games have 

It gave you meter to spend on special moves, like you could do maybe 3 charged fireballs cause it would run out fast. 

Don't want to take it too far into the dmc tangent but DT didn't really impact balance in the first game, but the first game was a very experimental survival horror fighting game hybrid. It was doing something different. Using fireballs in dmc1 was like using acid grenades in resident evil, it was that kinda design paradigm at the time. 

UC had a much bigger impact due to how it was generated and used but more basically because of how high the damage is and becomes critical later on with the health values of certain enemies. Like it felt like certain fights were playtested with users using UC and the fights ended too quick, so stuff got adjusted for that. Rather than just having it be a god mode. But they also adjusted the effectiveness of things that aren't UC in the opposite direction. There's a good video on it here. The first point of the video gets into UC right away

I’ll watch it tomorrow, it’s too late for critical thinking now. Even still I embraced UC for what it was and didn’t feel strongly about it either way. My problem for B2 was more style related. 

In the mean time I realised that Wave Race could now come to Switch. I love this fucking video game. The water in it is so good. Let’s go to Dolphin Park, baby! 

I’m not going to start a thread on it yet but I’ve started playing Tales of Arise and one of the first big bad guys introduced is called Balseph but the way the characters say it in the game I can’t help but hear ball sack. So there’s lines like “Ball sack we’ll be keeping his eye on you”

This game is dumb 

So I cracked open the plastic of another game, sitting on my shelf. The Last Guardian... Sigh

I vaguely remember waiting a long, long time for this game. I can see what they were going for. A cross between ICO and SoTC. But I've played it for just over an hour and it is frustrating. Nag hated controlling Argo The Horse in SoTC. He would Really hate the AI of Trico.

Also, the camera...:fist:

I'm not starting a thread about this one. I don't think I'll contribute to the existing thread for this one. It would just be mirroring what was already said several years ago. Which is pointless. Suffice to say, the initial impression is that I'm on the fence with this one. ICO won me over quite quickly and SoTC is one of my favourite games of all time. TLG though... Undecided.

TLG is really great but only if you can master Trico. It’s also not the players fault Trico is kind of a cunt and doesn’t make a lot of sense. When you learn how to get him to do what you want specifically though the game becomes a lot more pleasant.

There’s the double edged sword that once you learn how to get him to do what you want the game becomes very mechanical. The opposite of what you are supposed to feel which is a natural connection the animal instead of a tool that needs to be extremely well manipulated. But it does work if you can get there. 

It is patience testing though. There’s a bit in the game where you have to make Trico dive underwater, and I was on my first play through so hadn’t figured out how to get him to do that. I swear I almost gave up and quit right there. Then I was like oh you have to point at a very specific angle and hold the button (Or something like that). 

Yeah it’s finicky but it’s a pretty cool game

Speaking of best games ever (from hot topic), IGN have a poll on about that

https://www.ign.com/articles/ign-best-video-game-of-all-time-bracket-vote-finale-results-winners

Tomb Raider (the reboot) beat out that old crusty Half Life 2 game that nobody has heard of or played, and Arkham City twatted Super Mario 64 (have you seen the graphics on that shit? Fucking lol)

Ocarina of Time, which I think is a meme game based off the screenshots, well that lost to Skyrim which is a very nostalgic game from my childhood even if bellow thinks Oblivion is better.

So it's down to GoW 2018 and GTA V in the finals for the best game of all time, come on Kratos