passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

It's midway between videogame and board game and that gives it a lot of appeal among more casual audiences. I mean there was this stream where a bunch of American politicians played it I think? At least Alexandria Cortez was among them (haha). You wouldn't see those guys boot up Counter Strike or Street Fighter.

Andrew Yang used to play Starcraft 2 a lot apparently. We're getting to a point where people of power spent a lot of time playing games and understand them more than the dusty old bastards at the top.

Ed Miliband from our own government has talked about games a few times in his interviews. I think he was a Spectrum kid. I would have bullied him in school for this. C64 forever!

for PC players, that Quake 2 RTX demo that's free on Steam. Last time I played it I was getting about 30 fps at 720p. They've updated it and added Vulkan RT, which it defaults to. It's now added resolution scaling, I'm not entirely sure what it was rebuilding from, but it's now low to mid 40s, a bit grainy, but it doesn't make me feel ill any more

Kind of crazy that a game that came out when I was in high school is making modern computers struggle.

I thought I'd mention if though because if I can get it playable on a GTX1080, then anyone with something RT enabled, or just more powerful, will have better results

People are noticing that the epic games launcher uses quite a bit of resources even when idle, not sure if this is new. Seems due to tracking telemetry, which I sure didn't opt in for

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/epic-games-launcher-client-may-cause-a-spike-in-temperature-on-some-amd-ryzen-and-intel-cpus/

Comparing steam and epic at idle I see 6-7% usage on my 9700k for egs, steam is 0.1-0.2%. AMD usage seems to go way higher for some reason. If I go to the store page usage goes all the way to 15-20%, library page is lighter

Good thing I didn't buy Cyberpunk on epic, that game had me pegged at around 90% cpu in some cases on steam, even occasionally cpu limited. All I have on Epic is Tony Hawk and Hades neither of which is massively impacted by this as they're pretty light but a good enough reason for me to not buy cpu intensive games on it.

To non PC folk the reason why this matters is CPU bottlenecks will take frames off your games, as well as increase temps. These launchers cant be turned off if you want to play  a game on them

Saying that, Steam does seem to update/install a lot more than it used to. I remember it used to do so on a Tuesday. Typically some install about 30k. Now it seems to be every other day,  it is getting a little obnoxious. I wouldn't mind but I've only got three games on Steam, none of which I've touched in months.

The amount of updates and downloads really annoys me too, especially as I have a slow connection now and being locked out of games until they update is really annoying.

The comparison tho is between both clients while completely idle and doing nothing. Even if I open steam and mess around the usage stays lower than when epic is doing 'nothing'. A launcher shouldn't be so busy if it's not really doing anything while the updates on steam are expected to hit your resources a little bit

Anyway all it really means or me is I'll never play a 4x game on Epic, or open world game or MMO. Not that I was going to anyway. 

edit a tweet from Tim Sweeny, apparently they say they fixed this in an update but I'm still seeing it. Maybe I didn't get the update yet I dunno

Edge magazine's game(s) of the year

Spoiler

Trailblazer Award - Dreams
Revolution Award - Hades
Zeitgeist Award - Animal Crossing New Horizons
You Had to be There Award - Half Life: Alyx
Blockbuster Award - The Last of Us: Part II
Artisan Award - Signs of the Sojourner
Worldbuilding Award - Paradise Killer
Homecoming Award - Kentucky Route Zero
Rising Star Award - If Found
Outstanding Contribution - Itch.IO Bundle.
Biggest Tantrum - Epic Vs Apple
Unlikeliest Tear Jerker - Paper Mario The Origami King
Cosiest Propaganda - Astro's Playroom
Funniest Mourning - Tell Me Why
Most Indie Premise - Renal Summer
Least effective camouflage - Gears Tactics
Most Antisocial Media - Oculus Quest 2
Falsest Start - Crucible
Smartest Hangover Cure - Lair of the clockwork god

They gave Cyberpunk a 

Spoiler

, higher than I expected. Would like to read that review

(No idea if GOTY counts as a 'spoiler', I just put it in there to be sure. There's no actual spoiler in there)

Yeah, Paper Mario has grown into such a non-Nintendo franchise, where integral parts of the experience are either not fun or very tiresome. Very unusual for them and I think Intelligent Systems is straight up not the right developer for this anymore. Should give the IP to Camelot and see what they can do. Or outsource it and get the Octopath guys for the next one, that'd be cool.

• 4 weeks later...

As I am only two levels and three bosses away from finishing Demon's Souls, whenever I next get around to gaming (I think it has been about three-four weeks since I last turned on my PS 5). I've been looking to The Next Game. There is two, possibly three, that I have my eye on.

Medievil, as that was a favourite of mine from the PSOne. Since I haven't heard terrible things about the remaster/port/whatever that came out on PS4, I'm looking to give that a go. Also as I remember Sir Dan's first adventure is a relatively short game.

The other game, which caught my eye from AGDQ was Jedi: Fallen Order.  I haven't seriously played a Star Wars game since the Lego series and to be honest, this looks appealing to me. Certainly more so than The Force Unleashed. 

Hopefully, by the time I get around to and/or finish these, something brand new to PS5 will be out to garner my attention.

I've not been doing any fighting game stuff lately.  I've not had PS+ for a while and I'm missing it.  I see Injustice 2 has just been put on Gamepass and while I'm not the biggest appreciater of Neverealms games I don't have a lot of options.  

There is Killer Instinct as well but from what I've seen of that I need my stick.  I've looked for adapters, and Xbox to PlayStation are pretty common, but the other way round are a certain rare gold.  I hate it.

So I'm just saying, I may learn a new fighting game and if anyone was at some point interested but just put off because it can be intimidating I can help.  I'm certainly not an expert but I have okay fundamentals and could probably assist in getting a noob to the point they don't always get destroyed online.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we already had that situation last-gen with games like Dragon Age, Destiny, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 2, Alien Isolation, Life is Strange etc. all coming to two different generations of consoles. I guess these games are now so expensive to make that it's borderline unreasonable to drop 150 potential customers.

On the plus side it's really easy now to wait out the initial rush and just grab one of these new toys 12-18 months after release without missing much.

To put it in context the next FFXIV expansion was supposed to release early summer 2021, now it is coming out in 'Fall 2021'. MMOs are built on top of previously existing stuff, so there's lots of proper next gen stuff that's even more significantly delayed I'd bet.

I don't see any good reason to get a PS5 right now personally, unless FFXVI comes out earlier than expected I'm half considering waiting for the PS5 Pro (and hopefully RT will be used for more than just puddles by that point)

If I knew you IRL I would bet real money on it, it's definitely going to happen. Cause of ray tracing.

Not to get too elitist, but this is the first gen of AMD's ray tracing hardware and it's only doing reflections. Control has to turn off RT shadows and global illumination to get RT 30fps on consoles. AMD also don't have a DLSS equivalent ready yet (AI reconstruction to make RT run well). These companies will use that as a reason to make a mid step machine.

Again it all depends for me on when the first must have game for PS5 comes out, which for me personally there aren't any coming soon.

I think this is a fair point. I've told a couple of people recently that they shouldn't be stressing about not being able to find a PS5, I don't dislike mine or anything, but like Nag, most of what I've got coming for it (Yakuza which I've already bought, Ys IX, and Persona S) are playable on PS4

Suits me though, I've got a backlog so don't mind the idea of it being a fairly quiet year

1 hour ago, Nag said:

strange times.

& disappointing. Yea there were some cross gen games such as Forza Horizon 2 but it was significantly better on One compared to the 360. I don’t think it’s ever been as bad for cross gen as this time either. 

The One did have a few exclusive games too in its ‘launch period’ like Motorsport 5, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Titanfall, Wolfenstein to name some.

Quality is a bit all over but the point is there was actually something new to play only on your new console. Plus graphically the difference from a 360 game compared to something on the One like Forza 5 or Ryse was pretty big. Forza 5 blew me away when I got it at launch. Nothing like that exists yet on the PS5 or SX. But I also think we’re at a point now where we’re getting diminishing returns. I can’t ever see graphics getting to a point where it’d make something like Last of Us 2, God of War, Titanfall 2 etc. look shit like a 360 or PS3 game would. Or if they do get that good it would be too expensive to create so wouldn’t be viable. 

I am very disappointed how there’s basically no new games in the near future which are specifically built for these consoles. But I’m still happy with my purchases just because of the speed of loading, quick resume and 60fps being the norm (at the moment at least). Plus I just couldn’t enjoy games on my old One and PS4 anymore knowing they’d be better on the new consoles because my brain is broken. 

But excitement factor is definitely lacking after the initial unboxing. PS5 less so but still, seeing all these upcoming game being cross gen is shit. Better to see these as more a upgrade much like the One X and Pro were rather than brand new consoles. Just better ways to experience existing content at the moment. Particularly with the Xbox. The PS5 is definitely a lot better for the new console feeling.