passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

I'm pretty frustrated at the stock situation.  I do want an XSS on finance but I'm not going to spend any time futilely refreshing a page everyday.  It's making me not want to buy any multiformat games now for a system that will likely be put to bed soon (or maybe not so soon).

I mean, I just wanted to play Ninja Gaiden Black this Christmas.  2020 really continues to be a disappointment smh

1 hour ago, Sly Reflex said:

Where the fuck is the stock going?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/analysis-of-scalping-Q4-2020

It's disgusting but then again as long as people are dumb enough to pay 1000 bucks for a console who am I to blame?

I'm glad I didn't plan on getting either of these machines this year because that would have been a frustrating winter. Well, sort of – you can buy an Xbox over here pretty much everywhere where they sell games. We're drowning in Sony hype it seems, Xbox not so much.

I ordered a Game Gear the other night. Been very nostalgic this year for whatever reason 

It turns out tv tuners are ten a penny nowadays. I always wanted one back in the day, the thought of having a way to watch television outside, or have something else on when the family had something shit on. 

Shame the analogue signal has been switched off, it'd still be cool to try 

Over the last year I've talked about Souls games far more than I would have liked to have talked about it since people are so into them, one of the questions I've asked is "Why is everyone so much larger than you?" and had it handwaved in some lore reason. Not really satisfying as they might as well say "It's just because".

I think I've figured it out though, and in the same answer answered another question of why people are so scared of the smaller bosses in those games.

I think the enemies in Souls games are bigger than you is so that the tells and movement are easier to read. Something subtle on a 1:1 scale  looks exaggerated on a 1:1+ scale. therefore it becomes easier to read. Or it becomes harder to read the smaller they are to you since the movements are not as grandiose.

Thoughts? Or was this just blindingly obvious to everyone? Or is it now apparent now I pointed it out?

3 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

Over the last year I've talked about Souls games far more than I would have liked to have talked about it since people are so into them, one of the questions I've asked is "Why is everyone so much larger than you?" and had it handwaved in some lore reason. Not really satisfying as they might as well say "It's just because".

I think I've figured it out though, and in the same answer answered another question of why people are so scared of the smaller bosses in those games.

I think the enemies in Souls games are bigger than you is so that the tells and movement are easier to read. Something subtle on a 1:1 scale  looks exaggerated on a 1:1+ scale. therefore it becomes easier to read. Or it becomes harder to read the smaller they are to you since the movements are not as grandiose.

Thoughts? Or was this just blindingly obvious to everyone? Or is it now apparent now I pointed it out?

I never really thought about it too hard, I just put it down to "mythical beasties were bigger and scarier", but them being bigger does seem to track with making each "tell" on an attack easier to read. 
I'm rolling back though the list of bosses I can think of that are human shaped. The first ones that spring to mind are ornstein and smough from Dark Souls, they should be like normal people but they are fuckin huge when you think about it. I don't remeber coming up much higher than ornstien's wait

Lots of Hitman chat on here recently, or at least I posted about it a lot and I think there was a bit of chat in Hitman III thread. Anyway I wanted to rep this noclip doc. It's a series and it's well recommended you click through and watch the ones that come after this one as they're better than the first episode, which is mostly about the difficulties the studio went through in getting both Absolution and Hitman 2016 out the door. Interestingly it sounds like Square was very fair to them during the whole episode where they divested themselves of the company, so they definitely weren't the bad guys

The best episodes of the doc are where they talk about the level design. They are genuine geniuses at how they make these little clockwork snowglobes and the variety of methods to dispatch your targets.

Reminder that Hitman 2 can be bought in a way to get the entire first game, presumably Hitman 3 will be like buying the entire trilogy when that releases

This game has been on my 'to-do' list for a long time. I really didn't take to Fallout 3 but people say the role playing possibilities in new vegas eclipse the Bethesda one

I posted another of this guy's videos in the Pathologic thread, he's really good at putting words together for why something is good, not just a random spray of superlatives like some other analysis videos (he even likes Dark Souls II, that makes him a good boy in my book)

So I've got my Series S now and getting pretty overwhelmed with Game Pass tbh.  Lots of stuff I'd like to play.  And this reminder of New Vegas has got me to have it as one of my first games.  Weird for it to be my first of this new gen but I'm too cool to be swayed by the new stuff.

I do have Doom Eternal lined up too.

Ninja Gaiden Black isn't on Game Pass ? so I'll wait a little for that since I've spent a small fortune already.

I think I'll do a Forza too but I can't decide whether to go with the latest Horizon or regular.  I'm actually leaning more to regular because I've not played a sim in ages... Probably since Forza 3.

I wonder how much trouble it would be for Sony to make downloading PS3 games onto PS4 or 5 possible. You can download PS2 games from PlayStation now, but you have to stream PS3 ones.  Which, frankly, doesn't work.

Games like heavenly sword, resistance, and a bunch of killer R+C games seem out of reach now, whereas playing Alan Wake and the 360 gears games on my Series S was a fab experience.

From what I understand the PS3 is still incredibly difficult to emulate thanks to the Cell chip. So making them playable on the actual system even with the PS5’s horsepower is far from easy. & probably not worth their effort unfortunately. Streaming is the easy but shitty fix.