passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

The scalpers really annoy me and I hope ms and Sony think of a better way, direct from them maybe in the future using your gamer tag to buy one? I don’t know but it’s felt a lot harder to get a console at launch...saying that I don’t normally chase both.

One thing I have noticed this generation change and I’ve said before it’s very pc as in the games last generation will work and the new ones will run on the older consoles so for those buying from scalpers there is no need. I could be wrong but there’s nothing unique to ether new console currently? And won’t be for 6-9 months?? And then there’s still the backwards running on the older gen like Halo will play on Xbox one too...

Ive got Sackboy, Spiderman both ps5 releases but got them on the PS4, the Xbox games I’ve got run on both one s and series x, just getting a HDR 4K tv is a big leap and that makes a difference, apart from load times I didn’t notice a difference from cod on my one s to my series x. 

What I’m trying to say is there’s no need just to rush out and get a next gen, unlike a Nintendo console which changes game storage every generation!!

46 minutes ago, Manicm said:

unlike a Nintendo console which changes game storage every generation!!

Yeah, I miss cartridges. Even just aesthetically, they have more charm than an SD card or Disc. 

Meanwhile, I've decided not to get Playstation Plus until I've finished Demon's Souls. In particular I remembered the Old Monk fight uses some online gimmick if you are. So I'll hold off til then.

2 hours ago, Manicm said:

could be wrong but there’s nothing unique to ether new console currently? And won’t be for 6-9 months?? And then there’s still the backwards running on the older gen like Halo will play on Xbox one too...

For me it’s more of a mentality thing. It’s stupid I know but now the new consoles are out I just don’t want to start games on my current ones knowing there’s higher frame rate, resolution and shinier versions I could be playing. It’s why I could never be a PC gamer, if everything wasn’t at ultra all the time I’d be annoyed. 

I cannot overstate how much of a difference fast loading times will

make to my personal enjoyment of games. It makes a vast difference as far as I’m concerned. Is it really worth £450? Probably not but my mind is stupid and has decided it’s pointless playing games on the One X and PS4 now.

I wasn’t even that bothered about these consoles until they were released either but now really want them annoyingly. Especially PS5 even though I can’t really afford games for it. 

Just really frustrating knowing they won’t be in stock anyway for ages but there’s 100’s available online being sold by scumbags. Can’t imagine how annoying it just be for parents trying to get them for their kids. 

1 hour ago, Nag said:

seemed overly complicated for what it is...

Exactly that. Loved the visual style but seemed like it was trying to hard and does not suit the roguelike loop.

I get that, possibly trying to convince myself too...we have 6 ps5 at work all pre-orders not picked up yet, they have till 4pm today, which is mad I would of been at the shop at 6am Thursday ? there’s a post it note with my name on for one of them if they don’t sell, just trying to justify not spending more money...

3 hours ago, mfnick said:

For me it’s more of a mentality thing. It’s stupid I know but now the new consoles are out I just don’t want to start games on my current ones knowing there’s higher frame rate, resolution and shinier versions I could be playing. It’s why I could never be a PC gamer, if everything wasn’t at ultra all the time I’d be annoyed.

This is a thing you sort of get over, although the feeling of games gradually chipping into the settings is one we see, you lot see it too over in console land by dipping framerates, lesser textures and subpar AA. The honest thing is we can't do anything about it really. Well PC can, but includes putting your hand in your pocket, and as well as you know us Yorkshire lads aren't too keen on doing this.

It's still gutting though when those sliders have to go down. At least I can comfort myself by knowing I can turn motion blur and fucking lens flare off right from the off. Those things add dick all to the overall experience.

Cyberpunk will drive people made with the amount of sliders it will have, I'm pretty sure that game is gearing up to be one of those Crysis or Red Dead type games where the hardware to max it out won't actually exist until a few years after release.

Technically Witcher 3 was the same way, although that was also a really scalable game even on lower end hardware.

Honestly one of the nicest things is going back to a favourite with a new PC. I had a bit of a play about in Borderlands 2 with all the PhysX stuff on and the amount of detail they put in to it was incredible really. Slag dripped, corrosive popped and bubbled, incendiary stuff left soot and burned crap all over the place. The mad thing is it all interacted with each other, so the burn debris would be blown away by gunshots and stuff. Watching Slag wash away corrosion, or electric burn away slag as the electrical prongs arched over the goo was cool.

I sort of like that they make stuff like this, if you really like a game it gives it legs to come back and see all the cool stuff they added that you weren't able to run or support.

It’s 2 customers as the website allowed you to order 2 units each...which is wrong but that’s how it’s gone through.

As it stands no comms and the boss won’t let me have one till the comms comes down, will probably come down after my shift, watch the twilight team take them all..

So finished work and still no comms so no ps5..

I noticed on my 4k TV that films and television programs looked weird. So I googled it and read about this so called 'soap opera' effect, which perfectly describes what I was seeing, where everything (even a blockbuster movie) looks like it's been shot by the hd camera on a decent phone. 

Now you can select a 'movie' setting on the TV to get rid of this. It works, but it makes games look worse, as they start to get an unattractive digital motion blur.

Is there a middle ground on this? Or do people just keep it set up to prioritise gaming. Which is what I've done, for now.

Does your tv have motion settings? It should have settings for judder and blur reduction. Put it on the picture type you want -Game for example - then you’ll need to mess with those until you find a sweet spot for yourself. 

Took me weeks to get it to where I was mostly happy with it on mine but I’m awkward and very sensitive to tv and film frame rates because it looks like the scenes ‘jumping’ And stuttering all over the screen if I have motion stuff off. Whereas other people like my partner doesn’t see it at all. Lucky bastard. 

You don't want motion smoothing on while gaming. During lockdown numero uno I tried some ffxiv on the landlord's tv and that had motion smoothing that could not be turned off. It added so much lag and ironically stutter to the image that it felt like I was playing on Stadia or something. Client side lag in a mmo is no bueno

Only thing I agree with Tom Cruise on, death to motion smoothing. 

2 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

death to motion smoothing. 

Noooo!!! People like me would be fucked. Honestly, without it during panning shots It feels like I can see every frame as it stutters across. It looks proper shite! 

Every Tv adds a different amount of lag, just try it on yours @bellowI can’t tell a difference on mine when playing games. 

I'm not really noticing lag. Then again I'm not a very precise gamer. My new telly has a bewildering number of options, though. It took a guide just to get HDR working with the S.

Turning the smoothing off certainly made film look like film, but it gave an unattractive blur to Marcus Fenix when moving him about while aiming. And he's not that attractive at the best of times. There's no blur at all when smoothing is high and, tbh, I prefer that in gaming.

I might have a look to see if u can emulate @Nags settings on my TV. Having minimum blur on the movie setting would be the way to go, I think.