passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

Touché @Maf ?

Honestly, I completely forgot about Spider-Man. I just thought of games that suddenly add a secondary swing mechanic. Those that work off of momentum IE swinging in a cell or something like that. That never seem QA tested enough.

Really glad I didn't buy into the Phasmophobia hype. I'm watching it now and boy is it fucking dull. The whole thing feels like a huge gimmick, there's barely a game there.

Granted it's in EA, but fuck paying £10 for something like that.

As much as I’m opposed any kind of one video game console future I’m more than supportive of a one video game controller future. I’m either standing on or nearly falling over 3 controllers and a TV remote right in front of my the sofa or I can’t find the one I’m looking for because it’s not right in front of the sofa. 

I like that every console has its own "feel" due to the controllers. Yes, it would be easier with a universal pad but those systems would part of their identity. It's for that reason I'm conflicted about Microsoft using basically the same controller for Series X, even though I really like it. It's just not the same as having a new system with a new controller.

On the other hand, no more Dualshocks sounds like a good proposition now that I think about it.

I vaguely recall that was a point of contention at one point. With people bemoaning that Sony had stuck with basically the same controller for three generations (PSOne to PS3). I assume the PS4 controller was a significant deviation, as I didn't hear similar complaints in more recent years.

The XO pad is really nice though. I've got 3 pads plugged into my PC, the XO one, the PS4 one and a Fightpad.

The thing I really like about the XO controller is that it feels really nice and balanced in the hands, and there's no screw holes in the back to collect gunk. I wish I could say the same for the shoulder buttons, they're the worst thing about that controller in particular. The camber around the triggers is excellent though, it almost feels bespoke.

The scary thing is I'm starting to forget how to use controllers. I tried playing Deep Rock with one about a week ago and doing anything with any degree of accuracy and speed went right out the window. The irony is I forgot how to use mouse and keys because I used a pad for so long, but now the opposite is happening.

Some games are still miles better with a pad though, fuck playing Rocket League without a pad, that's pure insanity.

6 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

there's no screw holes in the back to collect gunk. I wish I could say the same for the shoulder buttons, they're the worst thing about that controller in particular.

Dude, I was going to say this earlier. The thing I hate the most about the Xbox pad is the way it collects gunk. I don’t find it just round the shoulder buttons, though. It’s down the gaps in the side and in the little gaps on the sticks as well. It’s never ending. 

I must spend 15-20 minutes cleaning the Xbox pad every week (If I used it a lot that week) trying to keep it clean. I never known anything like it. I wish it didn’t have so many gaps and cracks in it for the gunk to get down. It’s really gross. 

The other thing I would swap about it is the plastic. The soft plastic on the Playstation pad is so much nicer to the touch. 

Button layout and stuff is fine but the material is not very nice and the fucking dirt the thing picks up. It’s an honest to god anomaly with my pads. It’s just gross all the time. 

I like both pads and have used quite a bit with my PC and PS4 over the course of the generation. DS4 edges it slightly for me though as I still dislike the XB1 Pads' bumpers compared to the DS4's R1/L1 buttons. Hardly anything in it though, I think both are great.

I played it. I still got my copy. It was b-tier awesome. Not like change your life game but a really cool, solid fun video game. 

I’m going to try get through FF7R but then I’m really going to play a horror game this time and I think it will be the RE2 remake. Got to overcome my lack of backbone.

A square enix guy talking about the impact of covid on games

The head of the Japanese games group behind the hit Final Fantasy series has warned that Covid-19 has caused “time to stand still” on production of new titles, threatening to undermine an industry boost from global lockdowns.

Yosuke Matsuda, chief executive of Square Enix, told the Financial Times in an interview that while the $145bn sector had benefited from people spending more time at home due to coronavirus lockdowns, social distancing restrictions had hit development pipelines for new games.

“There is also a considerable impact on the production side. It will resonate in the future. What we are selling now may have provided some positive aspects, but on the negative side time has stood still in terms of production. We couldn't develop anything. That is where the impact will come,” said Mr Matsuda, whose company has annual revenues of $2.5bn.

Going to be a quiet few years for next gen I think, that next FFVII game is probably as far away as ever.

One thing I saw from a guy at Remedy is that WFH has severely impacted any part of game making which involves collaboration between different disciplines as well as stuff involving actors.

I played a bit of Dungeon of the Endless tonight and was going to open a thread about it, but I really have no idea what to say about it. 

It's a turn based game, except it runs in real time.

It's a tower defence, except it isn't.

It's an RPG of sorts. Probably. I don't even know. 

It's like trying to explain what Cola tastes like even though there's no natural flavours to compare it against.

Odd game. Has anyone ever felt like this with any other game they've played?