passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

Killer7 isn't an FPS.  It's an adventure style game that has more in common with Resident Evil in terms of structure, but with light gun sections.  I mean I love it too but you don't take FPS gameplay knowledge or skills to it very much.  You just don't go to Killer7 for the FPS experience.  It would be so, so disappointing if you did.

The first person shooter is not just a perspective but a style of gameplay.  There are a number of games that have a first person perspective, and you may even shoot sometimes, but calling them an FPS in the colloquial way would be very misleading.

I mean Portal is probably more 'FPS' than Killer7 but it's not one at all.

7 hours ago, HandsomeDead said:

I actually just wanna disagree with this statement.  After playing a lot of FPSs last gen I was really considering not engaging with them anymore since they were so hemogenous but with games like Doom '16 and TF2 I was brought back in because they reminded me inventiveness still existed in the genre.  I totally think FPSs have been so much better this gen than last.

Now I’ve thought about it more I’m torn on the subject. I think this gen shooters have made massive improvements and evolved in certain ways that puts them above shooters from last gen. Battle Royale multiplayer mode obviously being the big one, games like a Destiny changing how co-op/online works for a shooter is another one. Titanfall, Advanced Warfare and Doom changing mobility in shooters is cool. 

Also I just looked at a list of shooters from last gen to remind myself and even though there are a bunch of games there I really enjoyed at the time I don’t think I would pick any of them over what I can play right now. So maybe you’re right. 

At the same time I can’t put a list together from this gen that blew me away or IMO can topple Halo 3, Bioshock, Fallout 3 and MW1/MW2. I recently played MW2 Remastered and even though it’s a huge remake and changed a lot of stuff, fundamentally it is the same game and I enjoyed that game more than any other shooter I played this gen

So I’m torn, actually. Multiplayer modes and everything that goes along with that is much better, mechanically shooters have advanced and got sharper. But there isn’t a FPS single player campaign I enjoyed more than what came before, I don’t think they’ve really advanced at all in terms of single player. And running through the titles there isn’t one that stands out and makes me say, oh, this is a game I really love. I think Titanfall 2 is amazing and been saying that since release. But unless someone else brings it up I’m not thinking about it at all unlike MW 1/2 and Halo which are always front of mind for me when talking about FPS. 

I also haven’t played enough of Kentucky Route Zero to judge.

The Witcher 3 would be in my top ten for sure, at number one. Breath of the Wild would be in my top ten at the moment, I’m not sure it will be when I’ve caught up with my backlog though. I don’t think Bloodborne would be in my top ten, but Sekiro would. I’ll be playing Nier Automata and Outer Wilds soon.

I’m with Mafs original post regarding FPS. I played so many FPS games last gen and so many ended up in my best games lists, but this time they’ve really left me cold. Apart from Titanfall 2, both Wolfenstein and both DOOM games they’ve really not been great IMO this time around. 

I really don’t like Battle Royale or hero shooters either which doesn’t help. 

Was watching this on another site but man, remember F.E.A.R? The spooky fps where a little girl follows you around. But actually the best thing about it was the shooting and how good the AI was.

It's like MGS2 in how it takes advantage of very tight spaces to limit the amounts of decisions the AI has to make but it's a really effective use of smoke and mirrors.

Would be nice to just get a small visual upgrade to it or something, maybe I'll grab it on Steam after Titan fall.

Guessing this is the right place to put this, hopefully won’t cause all out war...play nice...

So I’ve got a pre-order for Xbox and PS5, realistically I can only get one and a few games, I could get both but just makes things a tad tight, I’ve already got Xbox ultimate, Xbox throughout the years has been my secondary console to a Nintendo one, but PS3 and PS4 have had some great exclusives while I was ps4 from day one it’s my least used console, I’m 75% sure the ps5 is the one to cancel, am I missing anything first 6 months on ps5 that I’ve overlooked??

I miss not having Gamestm to re-read over there pages for the new consoles, and games, internet is great but it’s very one sided..

Based on the above cancel the ps5 is the right thing to do? 

I think it's a hard question to answer cause neither system looks very good library wise for at least a long while.

If you don't feel strongly about PS exclusives then Xbox will probably be a slightly better option as third party games will probably run better on it, it's GPU is better than Playstation. PS5 has a better SSD but that won't matter for third party.

I'm saying that as someone personally inclined to buy PS over Xbox so no fanboy bias as such

Playing Mario 64 again and watching others play it has got the nostalgia for early N64 games going for me. Even though I’m watching Mario 64 I keep thinking about Wave Race 64, Killer Instinct Gold and Turok 1. It’s a weird thing to describe but all of those games look the same with the bad textures and ‘fugly’ look that really defines, well, nearly all of the N64 library but there’s something even more specific about the way the early N64 games look that link this selection together for me. I miss not missing old stuff. 

Looking at the new consoles, it feels a lot like pc gaming in the 90’s, I remember getting my Amstrad 286 pc, then a few years later games got better so I needed a 468, I got an sx2 from memory which I upgraded to a dx4 over the years, then games got better again so I needed a Pentium processor, but all games worked backwards, loading times got better, hdd got bigger. Just feels this next generation of consoles is modelled on that era you can get the games for your PS4/Xbox but to get the power you need a ps5/Xbox series, I guess the next generation after this will show if I’m right but to go forward we look to the past.

Apart from the constant upgrading which I secretly enjoyed taking my pc apart every few months, I miss pc gaming but console is just so much more convenient.

I was going to buy Super Mario All-Stars on Switch. But to do so specifically for this SNES port of NES games, One that I physically used to own at one point. You need to be an Online Member. So scratch that...:fist:

Watching so much of the Eurogamer run through of Dark Souls III, I found out that despite playing through it several times and racking up over 200 hours on one character, I’d completely missed an optional area and entire boss fight that I never knew existed.

I keep trying to play it again on PS4 and my disc spitting problem is back. I’d say it makes me want to get the 5 this year, but I can’t even guarantee that it will 100% replace the 4 with back compat stuff.

On 26/09/2020 at 19:36, Manicm said:

Guessing this is the right place to put this, hopefully won’t cause all out war...play nice...

So I’ve got a pre-order for Xbox and PS5, realistically I can only get one and a few games, I could get both but just makes things a tad tight, I’ve already got Xbox ultimate, Xbox throughout the years has been my secondary console to a Nintendo one, but PS3 and PS4 have had some great exclusives while I was ps4 from day one it’s my least used console, I’m 75% sure the ps5 is the one to cancel, am I missing anything first 6 months on ps5 that I’ve overlooked??

I miss not having Gamestm to re-read over there pages for the new consoles, and games, internet is great but it’s very one sided..

Based on the above cancel the ps5 is the right thing to do? 

It really depends how much you like cutting edge exclusive games really. The first year of the PS5 will have Horizon 2 (2021 - available on PS4 too), God of War Ragnarok (2021), Ratchet and Clank (launch window), Returnal (2021), Demon's Souls (launch) and Spider-Man: Miles Morales (launch - available on PS4 too). That's pretty bonkers for me, and one of the best console 1st years ever I'd say.

If you're happy with all the Indies/AA titles on Game Pass along with a few 3P titles and Halo Infinite next year then get that. For me it's a bit of a no brainer. I want a PS5 to be able to play things I can't play on my PS4, you can't get that on Series X as there's no next-gen exclusive titles.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I’d say it makes me want to get the 5 this year, but I can’t even guarantee that it will 100% replace the 4 with back compat stuff.

99% of PS4 games will be playable on PS5. XSX only has about 500 titles BC compatible at the moment during the preview phase journo's had access to, including omissions such as Gears 5 and Halo 5. Just for a comparison.

On 26/09/2020 at 19:38, one-armed dwarf said:

I think it's a hard question to answer cause neither system looks very good library wise for at least a long while.

If you don't feel strongly about PS exclusives then Xbox will probably be a slightly better option as third party games will probably run better on it, it's GPU is better than Playstation. PS5 has a better SSD but that won't matter for third party.

Whaaaa? 1st year of PS5 looks insane. Horizon 2, GoW Ragnarok, Ratchet and Clank, GT7, Returnal, Miles Morales and Demon's Souls. That's a crazy first year in my mind.

Also, I hope the SSD does matter for 3rd party! I want those super fast load times.

1 hour ago, Nag said:

Have no real info on whether backwards compatible games will get any kind've boost in performance or not and any other number of questions. Sony have been shit with their messaging running up to the launch in my opinion.

PS5 boost mode was confirmed earlier this year at the Cerny PS5 presentation. I agree they've been shit with their messaging lately though, we definitely need and should know more at this point.

18 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Whaaaa? 1st year of PS5 looks insane. Horizon 2, GoW Ragnarok, Ratchet and Clank, GT7, Returnal, Miles Morales and Demon's Souls. That's a crazy first year in my mind.

Also, I hope the SSD does matter for 3rd party! I want those super fast load times.

Only GoW and Demon Souls interests me from that and I don't really like the original Demon Souls.

PS5 will load games faster but as long as we're talking third party I'm gonna guess the GPU being better on Xbox will be more of an advantage as it should get better looking games/better framerate/ray tracing etc

1 minute ago, Maf said:

I’ve always had the boost mode setting on for the PS4 Pro and still no idea if it’s ever done anything. 

Yea it seems to do eff all.  Well on Ps5 it will be cool at least to see Dark Souls III run at locked 60 and not the stupid framerate it runs on Pro