passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

The original Mega CD 1 is one of the holy grails for me. Fawned over it ever since I first set my eyes on an imported one as a nine year old upstairs in Computer Base in late '91/early '92. Never owned one, probably never will.

That Voltron Mega Drive shit is always so crazy looking. Shame Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic 3 can’t be put in the 32X for complete ridiculousness.

I always wanted a Mega CD and a 32X to play Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix but never got them as a kid. In my 20’s I went on a console buying binge and did pick up the Mega CD and Sonic CD but never got the other.

Never actually used the Mega CD or played Sonic on it. More just because it’s cool to have. 

1 hour ago, OCH said:

Mega Drive was released here (after a quick google search) in September 1990. Assuming we got MD 2 for Christmas that year, I was 7 y/o.  I definitely wouldn't have had my finger on the pulse of gaming knowhow, so to speak.?‍♂️

yeah, I'm not buying this either. The MD came out here in 1990 and was the most popular console once Sonic and Sonic 2 took hold, possibly you didn't know someone with one but I doubt you wouldn't have seen one in the shops or on tv, and the Mega Drive 2 actually came out in 1993, so you'd have been 10 or 11, I think you're my age, possibly a little older, you definitely would have seen one in those 3-4 years

Not that it's important you remember it or anything ?

I do recall we went straight from NES to Mega Drive 2. I think as it was on TV as the next big thing was the only reason we got it. Factor in a memory with enormous gaps and although the rest is sketchy, I can honestly say the first time I ever saw the MD 1 (so much so I thought it was a made up thing) was in a GTM retrospective of some kind, a few years back.

12 hours ago, OCH said:

Mega Drive was released here (after a quick google search) in September 1990. Assuming we got MD 2 for Christmas that year, I was 7 y/o.  I definitely wouldn't have had my finger on the pulse of gaming knowhow, so to speak.?‍♂️

I wasn't even born when MD1 came out and I still knew what it was growing up ?

I always wanted a Mega Drive growing up but my parents wouldn't let me have one as I had a Master System & I "didn't need it".

Had to always go round my mates house  to play Sonic.

I do have a Mega Drive & Mega CD in the loft at my mums, going to have to get it out & see if it still works next time I'm back.

Magical Choke of Mystery...

Sounds kinky?

@DisturbedSwan Two more fun facts: 

1) Gaming wasn't even in my top 5 interests as a kid. It was a background thing to turn to when there wasn't anything else to do.

2) I didn't even really pick up a gaming magazine until it had Final Fantasy 7 on the cover (1997). Before then, if it wasn't a console I owned, saw an advert for or a friend/cousin had it, I didn't know it existed. Nor did I need to.

This week has been a disaster for games. Fall Guys, Phantasy Star, Man of Medan, Darksiders 4 and Modern Warfare 2 all in the same week of each other. I thought I was getting a handle on my backlog a little bit. I completed a lot of games recently and was feeling good. Good to where I finally started new stuff like Final Fantasy 7R - which seems fucking great and I really want to play it. I was even playing with the idea of returning to Red Dead 2. I even downloaded new Gamepass games for a change because I was like yeah, man, I can do this. And now look. I’ve bought this up before and no one else seems to care so that’s fine but I honestly feel overwhelmed and pressured. Games are both a joy and like work and it’s like someone just went oh, you thought the load was easing. Eat this and choke on it bwa-ha-ha-ha. 

I don't get the idea of 'backlogs', sometimes you drop a game for whatever reason and never finish it and that's ok. I'll never beat TLOUII even tho I think it's really good, that's fine. If you lose momentum with a thing like RDR2 it's hard to get back on the saddle of that one (lol) cause it's so slow

It reminds me of when I was way into anime and had a HDD of 100s of series and felt stressed about watching all that weeb shit. No need to make it an obligation.

Really a backlog might be more a sign of spending too much money. I guess Gamepass makes things a bit weird tho

I don’t really count Gamepass. As much as I champion it I download things very rarely because I have a ever growing backlog. But because I finished about 4 or 5 games last week I felt good about downloading some smaller games. In theory it works out. Like I played through the Touryst in basically one sitting. Adding games of that size to it, so I downloaded 4 or 5 of them, is fine. And then a bunch of ‘free’ games came out and it’s like damn lol. Done me dirty. 

Maybe I’m wrong but I think people who probably have lots of interests divy up their time and be more selective. Or maybe only like specific things within an interest. Like people like video games but really they only like certain types of games. This isn’t me. I like them all. In terms of hobbies I only care about one thing. If I’m not playing games I’m watching games, if I’m not watching games, I’m reading about games, If I’m not reading about games I’m talking about games, if I’m not talking about games I’m thinking about games. I know people aren’t supposed to say that. And I like other stuff. Comics, comic book/action movies, stand-up, etc. But if you add all that shit up together it still only matches about 10% of the interest I have in video games. My number #1 movie of all time can’t touch my number #50 game of all time. I want all of it. I want all of it all the time. But there are just so many. 1st world problems I totally agree. It is a stupid fucking problem to have, but it is a problem nonetheless.