passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

Andy has been doing this shit longer than Gerstmann, I think. Or if not they’re some of the longest serving, most well known old school game journos around so this is big news in a way. I admit I only really know of him and haven’t followed what he has actually done very closely at all. The few podcasts I saw him on though he came across as a cool guy and have to have respect for anyone who survived this that long.

I wonder if this is foreshadowing Game Informer’s demise. Last year they had huge lay offs, obviously they’re owned by Game Stop which probably isn’t going very well, who reads magazines anymore and their YT videos do extremely low traffic for a company this size, and now their Editor-in-Cheif is leaving. 

I’ve been watching a Let’s Play of Hollow Knight and in the beginning I was thinking about playing it again because it’s really good but now I’m watching the mid game portion and like oh yeah fuck this shit.

I think by the end I’ll be having bouts of PTSD. 

If you know then you know...

Spoiler

No take it back I don’t want to know anymore ?

maxresdefault.jpg

Who here has seen Max react to Cloud being in Super Smash Bros before? I had seen it but I forgot. It just popped up in my recommended and as much as reaction videos are generally dumb, this is really great and hard not to smile at.

“OH MY GOD I LOVE VIDEO GAMES SO MUCH!”

Lol. Same. Video games are my favourite thing in the world and next to me getting enjoyment out of them seeing other people get enjoyment out of them is the best

Max is cool but a lot of these reactions are very tuned into their audience and self aware/performative. 

I also can't stand listening to him talk about FFVII tbh. Everyone keeps posting that theory video he did with EZA and it's just one dude's interpretation but people treat this guy as an unimpeachable FFVII Jesus ( I suppose he sort of looks like him a bit)

If we're posting reactions, this is one I like. Pat tells Woolie to shut the fuck up so he can watch the trailer ?

Max does get a bit much sometimes when he goes on about FF7. I don't think I've ever reached that Crazy Fanboy level talking about any game, that I can recall anyway. I did watch his LP of FF7 Remake for a while, until he became a bit too unbearable.

41 minutes ago, OCH said:

Max does get a bit much sometimes when he goes on about FF7.

I can find the FF crowd hard to deal with in general but Max really did get to be the worst of it by a mile. I mean he isn’t the only person I’ve seen stand on their chair or start sobbing at gameplay trailers, and I get it. We all have games we drool over and get extra excited for, and I like to see people happy about video games. But his “Road to FF7” and the bit of the Let’s Play I saw when he starts crying at a skybox was too much. I don’t want to be that guy, I want people to be excited for video games, but there was something about all that which was OTT. I think he does one video where he spends most of the time talking about the jacket he was wearing when he went and played the E3 demo. Err....

Having said all of that, his reaction video to Cloud in Smash, put on or not, I think is a great video and makes me laugh and happy. 

Yeah, I just don't get it. There have been games that I've been completely absorbed in, that I really got a kick out of: Eternal Darkness, Soul Reaver, Binding of Isaac etc But even then, there is a line that I just couldn't imagine even crossing. When he started saying "perfect game" and things like that, with tears in his eyes. I tuned out completely. 

Well like I said I don’t want to be that guy who is critical over someone else’s excitement about a game. I’ve been that person getting over excited a few times and have been almost losing my mind about a new release. Also I like Max and can find his enthusiasm infectious. After watching the Smash video it made me want to play Smash for example. 

I love video games way more than I should so to see someone else be that affected by a game is good. Just in this specific instance it was so overbearing it got to a point where I was being put off the game itself. 

Yeah, each to their own. But I just found it off putting. Generally he has really good insight into Fighters and other games I like, that I agree and fully get onboard with. Except when it comes to FF7.

17 hours ago, Maf said:

I think he does one video where he spends most of the time talking about the jacket he was wearing when he went and played the E3 demo.

That video was about the FF7 Remake team using Max's reaction video about the first unveiling of the project in 2015 as a motivational tool for themselves whenever they felt down or overwhelmed by the pressure. Really nice story actually. Also the first time I ever thought "hey, reaction videos are good for something after all".

I've never been that excited about something but seeing the first trailer to Metroid Other M made me come close. Too bad the game didn't turn out quite so well.

Just seen this question online and it kinda blew my mind to look into it...

FB_IMG_1594836254581.jpg

2005 was basically the end of the PS2 gen. So God of War, Kingdom Hearts 2 and Matrix: Path of Neo for me.

Seems like an incredible year. Killer7, Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones (I played this on GameCube and got it for £20 brand new from GAME) and all kinds of awesomeness was released.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?sort=moviemeter&title_type=game&year=2005,2005

Anyone else got anything special from 2005?

That was my first year of console gaming. My eldest kid was 6 and wanted a PS2 because his elder cousin had one. I took the opportunity to play some adult games when the kids went to bed. For me 2005 was the year of Resi 4, Prince of Persia and God of War. I also had a 2 year old, so for snacks, Farley's rusks.

2005 would be DMC3 when I should have been studying for my Junior Cert. Wasn't going to buy it initially cause expected it to be crap after 2.

Also RE4. That game is like a perfectly recursive experience where you play through it once and immediately play again and can never escape it. Masterpiece